5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM multiple issues

tp53150

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have my 2020 RAM Big Horn with the 5.7 e-tourque back at the dealer for more of the same issues that I have had in the past and wanted to reach out and see if the group can help.
Brakes- The truck likes to jerk like a caliper is locking up at times when you tap the brake pedal and you can hear a bad squeak coming from the brakes when you step on the brake pedal. I am told by the dealer that they hear the noise but there is 'nothing wrong', this is the third time it is in for the brakes

Suspension- When you go over bumps there is a horrible noise coming from the suspension, so far the dealer said we think we hear something but we cannot figure it out

Engine- When you do a cold start you immediately get a lifter chatter that goes away, again the dealer says they don't hear anything however after I contacted the service manager she stated that there might be a lifter issue, when you shut the truck off and it sits you can smell antifreeze, cannot see a leak but am curious if there is a blown head gasket. This truck only has 10K on it and this is the third time it will be in for the engine rattle. Does anyone else have these issues?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
None of that sounds normal. I do have what sounds like some roll bar bushing squeak, but when the body rolls, not over bumps.

5.7s have a bad rep on lifters, but it’s too early for that (or should be too early). They do sometimes make noise - make sure the oil is as recommended.

Also, unlikely you have a bad head gasket - so many more likely failure modes for those symptoms.

If only RAM dealer service were just a bit competent....that’s my biggest (and only serious) disappointment with my truck.

Good luck!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it a clunk with the suspension? Does it happen for all 4 wheels? I have this and tightened the two rear body bolts (under crew cab doors) and it helped a lot. Bolts are 18mm, I got almost half turn out of each using a fairly long torque wrench.

d19r93

Reaction score
I have the same coolant smell. I had mine pressure checked, it held pressure all day, no leaks. I didn’t smell it when it was brand new but started around 12k miles. I have 25k on it now, coolant has stayed full

tp53150

Reaction score
I received some answers. The squeaking when going over bumps I am being told that the sway bar bushings are shot, the coolant odor is a leaking water pump and they are still looking into the brakes and the engine rattle when you start. Just annoying that I am having any issues with a brand new truck!!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received some answers. The squeaking when going over bumps I am being told that the sway bar bushings are shot, the coolant odor is a leaking water pump and they are still looking into the brakes and the engine rattle when you start. Just annoying that I am having any issues with a brand new truck!!
How many miles on the Ram?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many miles on the Ram?
You must have missed that. He said it has 10k miles on it in his first post.

It sucks to hear you're having this many problems on your truck already. How do sway bar bushings and water pump wear out in 10k miles? At least it sounds like your dealership is slowly taking care of the problems. Hopefully they'll figure out the rest too.

tp53150

Reaction score
You must have missed that. He said it has 10k miles on it in his first post.

It sucks to hear you're having this many problems on your truck already. How do sway bar bushings and water pump wear out in 10k miles? At least it sounds like your dealership is slowly taking care of the problems. Hopefully they'll figure out the rest too.
This is the third time I have it into the dealership, I finally said this is now a safety concern and here in Wisconsin Lemon law kicks in after the truck has been in for the same thing three times. I had to go for a ride with the tech yesterday because they couldn't find anything wrong which turned into the tech saying well sometimes the brakes can wear out at 10K! I said that's cute I am not paying for them to be replaced!

tp53150

Reaction score
None of that sounds normal. I do have what sounds like some roll bar bushing squeak, but when the body rolls, not over bumps.

5.7s have a bad rep on lifters, but it’s too early for that (or should be too early). They do sometimes make noise - make sure the oil is as recommended.

Also, unlikely you have a bad head gasket - so many more likely failure modes for those symptoms.

If only RAM dealer service were just a bit competent....that’s my biggest (and only serious) disappointment with my truck.

Good luck!
Thanks. I check my oil levels weekly especially since I have been getting this lifter chatter when I start it. I love the truck, I traded up from an 18 RAM and am wishing I would have kept that one!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. I check my oil levels weekly especially since I have been getting this lifter chatter when I start it. I love the truck, I traded up from an 18 RAM and am wishing I would have kept that one!
I’m not sure about the lifter chatter . The squeaking seems weird that it would be bushings already , I guess not unheard of but rare . The coolant smell is normal , it’s the overflow reservoir they’re not air tight .

Users who are viewing this thread