5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Laramie Trailer Towing

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
How does my truck know approx. how long a trailer is that I am towing, I am guessing rear sensors.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
New challenge:

Can you and a friend tailgate close enough and long enough without a fender bender to get the trailer indicator light to come on?

ClancyO

Reaction score
Hmmm. I think you need to be in both tow/haul mode, AND have the cancan bus sense a draw on your trailer connector? I’ve never seen the trailer icon bls light up without the trailer attached..

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I can say confidently you DON'T have to be in T/H. I get pissed at myself when the ding of the trailer alert reminds me and I've forgotten to put it in T/H already (my trailer is light, so not really a big deal for the few minutes where it's happened). I'm not sure about the pin connectors, cuz I always have either the 4-pin or 7-pin connected. I know that you can't use the Trailer Odometer feature with the 4-pin; only the 7-pin. I find that annoying, but I log my trailer miles elsewhere.

ClancyO

Reaction score
My biggest peeve is it doesn’t remember t/h mode, especially since I KNOW it knows there’s a trailer back there... :). So maybe just the draw on the 7 pin is necessary for the trailer bls system.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. I think you need to be in both tow/haul mode, AND have the cancan bus sense a draw on your trailer connector? I’ve never seen the trailer icon bls light up without the trailer attached..
It will do it regardless if anything is plugged in or not I believe. It doesn't sense on the 4 pin, only on the 7 pin.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread