5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram detecting phantom trailer?

Psylence340

Reaction score
Been scouring the forums but havent found any leads. Driving to work today and get that lovely "DING" sound...Ugh!! "Trailer detected, trailer blindspot enabled" and the Auto trailer icon lights up on the Tach side...of course there's no trailer attached. When I got to work I cleaned all of the sensors and checked the trailer light and brake connections for obstructions or foreign objects, maybe someone was messing with the truck I dunno. Any ideas?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been scouring the forums but havent found any leads. Driving to work today and get that lovely "DING" sound...Ugh!! "Trailer detected, trailer blindspot enabled" and the Auto trailer icon lights up on the Tach side...of course there's no trailer attached. When I got to work I cleaned all of the sensors and checked the trailer light and brake connections for obstructions or foreign objects, maybe someone was messing with the truck I dunno. Any ideas?
It happens sometimes, usually when a car is following closely behind you in curves or turns. The radars inside the tail lights start thinking it’s a trailer, and auto detects it’s length.

Psylence340

Reaction score
It happens sometimes, usually when a car is following closely behind you in curves or turns. The radars inside the tail lights start thinking it’s a trailer, and auto detects it’s length.
Ok, makes sense. Thank you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Must be crazy close for it to think it's a trailer twithought a hookup. Maybe setup a box of marbles that deploy when it gets triggered from the rear of the truck like a James Bond truck.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So it doesn’t even look to see if you have trailer wiring connected to verify your pulling one?🤔

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it doesn’t even look to see if you have trailer wiring connected to verify your pulling one?🤔
No, trailer wiring connection is irrelevant to the radars trailer detection.
This actually happens to me almost every day leaving work. There’s a caravan of us that leave at the same time. The speed limit is 5mph on the way to the gate house, and there’s three turns. By the second turn, the car behind me has been detected as a trailer, and it’s usually about 1 1/2 car lengths behind.

Users who are viewing this thread