5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 5th GEN: Reverse Lighting sucks.

Soupman

Reaction score
I have a 5th GEN, 2020 RAM Rebel with LED lighting. Is there a simple and easy plug and play, without dealer help programing, reverse/backup lighting solutions???

Attachments

• 2020_Rebel.jpg
    2020_Rebel.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there are some 7 pin backup lights out there that you just plug in I believe. But use that with caution if you ever plan to pull a trailer with electric brakes, it may corrode the pins and leave you scratching your head as to why lights or brakes aren't working.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 5th GEN, 2020 RAM Rebel with LED lighting. Is there a simple and easy plug and play, without dealer help programing, reverse/backup lighting solutions???
Here you go. There are several threads on this:

Luxy72462

Reaction score
VLED license plate is the way to go. Tap it into the 7pin harness for the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
What's wrong with the reverse LEDs? I think I got them with the Blindspot package

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What type of shop would install this? A car audio shop?

I did this in my garage using basic tools and would be more then happy walking anyone through the install if they want to tackle it on their own.

But yes you can also have a shop install.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the Y splitter and installed the lights with stainless steel hose bands. Easy to adjust and rust free.

Attachments

• Reverse lights.jpg
    Reverse lights.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 95

borden72

Reaction score
I did a set of lights under my bumper as well. I used the 7 pin Y splitter and a plug and built my harness. Direct plug into the truck though with no wire cutting.

The factory LED backup lights are just too dim for dark neighborhoods or country with tinted windows. Even on the backup camera, it's too dimly lit. Now I can see everything back there with no issues.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did a set of lights under my bumper as well. I used the 7 pin Y splitter and a plug and built my harness. Direct plug into the truck though with no wire cutting.

The factory LED backup lights are just too dim for dark neighborhoods or country with tinted windows. Even on the backup camera, it's too dimly lit. Now I can see everything back there with no issues.
The 7 pin is the way to go, you end up with auxiliary power if you want to add something else.

U

User_21361

What's wrong with the reverse LEDs? I think I got them with the Blindspot package
They just aren't bright enough and make using the backup camera very difficult without external light sources. I have a long, very dark driveway that I back up every day (when I had a commute). I was worried about (in no particular order) an animal, my dog, my kid, someone elses kid being behind me and not being able to see them in time to really stop. I tried a tailgate light bar (OPT7), but it was just ok. The VLED license plate light is very bright and low profile. You just have to be willing to cut your plate and re-tap the screw holes. Still seemed less out of place than installing lights below the bumper. YMMV

Like other said, using a 7pin harness means you don't even have to tap any of the factory lines for it to work. I wired my plate light and tailgate bar to the same hardness. No issues for over a year.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Quick question about using the trailer wiring for backup lights. If you use the Curt T adapter (55384 or 56584) and plug in to the 4 or 5 pin, does the truck think a trailer is connected?

Thanks in advance.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick question about using the trailer wiring for backup lights. If you use the Curt T adapter (55384 or 56584) and plug in to the 4 or 5 pin, does the truck think a trailer is connected?

Thanks in advance.
I didn't look up the adapter, but the truck only sees of a trailer is connected to the 7 pin by monitoring the resistance on the brake pin.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I didn't look up the adapter, but the truck only sees of a trailer is connected to the 7 pin by monitoring the resistance on the brake pin.

Thanks for the info. Always wondered how it did that. Then do light bars that have all the circuits like Putco and OPT7 make the truck think a trailer is plugged in?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Always wondered how it did that. Then do light bars that have all the circuits like Putco and OPT7 make the truck think a trailer is plugged in?
I would not too they do, because they just pull from the light circuits. Nothing on the electric brake circuit

borden72

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
I am using the 7 pin splitter with my LEDS connected to the reverse and ground pins with a connector. The truck doesn't seem to sense it at all. There's no indication that there is a trailer sensed.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
They just aren't bright enough and make using the backup camera very difficult without external light sources. I have a long, very dark driveway that I back up every day (when I had a commute). I was worried about (in no particular order) an animal, my dog, my kid, someone elses kid being behind me and not being able to see them in time to really stop.
Are the regular/standard taillights/reverse lights brighter?

Users who are viewing this thread