5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Starter Removal

Megatron

Reaction score
so my starter died on me eight months after the warranty expired even though I was under the 36,000 miles I was not under the 36 month deadline. I did some research and thought it would be pretty easy to replace it myself, but there is a bracket directly underneath that has to be removed first that’s almost impossible to get out if you do not have the truck on a lift or a very long socket wrench with flexibility capabilities. Anyone else have this issue? what can be done besides taking it to the shop?

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpeg
    IMG_3117.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 56

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be time to take a drive down to your local harbor freight and spend a few bucks on some other tools like extensions, pass through sockets and ratcheting wrenches and always worth having handy in the tool box for future use and would still be cheaper then what the local dealer is going to charge you to do the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Might be time to take a drive down to your local harbor freight and spend a few bucks on some other tools like extensions, pass through sockets and ratcheting wrenches and always worth having handy in the tool box for future use and would still be cheaper then what the local dealer is going to charge you to do the replacement.

I would skip the pass through sockets and stick with normal shallow and deep well sockets, also, a set of swivel head sockets can come in handy.
YMMW.

Dontra

Reaction score
I thought the starter was on the 5 yr warranty, part of the power train

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would skip the pass through sockets and stick with normal shallow and deep well sockets, also, a set of swivel head sockets can come in handy.
YMMW.

Picture won’t load and I’m too lazy to go out and underneath the truck to take a look but pass through sockets might not help in this situation but still worth adding to the toolbox for future use. When you need some you’ll be happy you have a set along with a crows foot socket set just a future fyi. Yes swivels are amazing too.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the starter was on the 5 yr warranty, part of the power train

Probably considered a maintenance item like the battery unless your still within the 3/36 warranty.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Picture won’t load and I’m too lazy to go out and underneath the truck to take a look but pass through sockets might not help in this situation but still worth adding to the toolbox for future use. When you need some you’ll be happy you have a set along with a crows foot socket set just a future fyi. Yes swivels are amazing too.

"crows foot" That is taking it to a totally different level of home wrenching :D

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look at the other posts about the starter, where it tells how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread