5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Speaker question

USMarine15

Reaction score
I'm wanting to upgrade my sound system and was wonder if any of you know if the headliner speakers are tied into the rear door speakers like the dash are to the front doors?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
What system?

Alpine or HK?

I have the alpine. Don't think any of the speakers are tied to any others. Coming out of the amp, they all have their own channels.

Headliner speakers are a pain to get out. You're likely going to break some clips. I did, luckily the remaining ones were enough to hold the covers on.

Also, if going with the infinity, you'll have to drill new holes. Speaker terminals get in the way when you try to line them up.

They only play tweeter frequencies, so you may be better off with some tweeters in a custom bracket.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

NickB

Reaction score
Can someone please provide instructions on how they removed the speaker grills fr the headliner?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Can someone please provide instructions on how they removed the speaker grills fr the headliner?
Pull down hard. I broke a couple tabs.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I have a couple pics that may help you out for the rear headliner grills.

Also, would def need to know what system you have stock but ya, the speakers shouldn't be tied in to each other...

DA5B1131-582C-4CC3-BB77-8566DBACF7F6.jpeg F76FC4D8-118B-4CCB-9641-F2A793888D7D.jpeg

There's the back of the grill and the stock speaker so you know where the clips are. I stuck a plastic trim tool in and then ya, you really gotta pull hard to get the grill off.

NickB

Reaction score
This is very helpful, thank you! It looks like the speakers are the same as the corner dash speakers. I'm read conflicting threads in the crossover (in-line vs. drectly from the amp). What did you select and how does it sound?

JustCallMeD

Reaction score

There's my thread about what I did with mine.

I'm not sure what you mean about in-line vs. directly from the amp?

Also, my system is absolute bliss to my ears daily... The best system I've ever had so far and I've had systems in 4 different vehicles so far with a bunch of different configurations.

NickB

Reaction score
Hearing someone say their system sounds bliss to their ears gives me hope because I'm struggling with this HK system. Plenty of holes in the frequency... Here is my biggest concern with going full on aftermarket (similar to what you have done), I've heard that you must bypass the ANC (active noise cancellation) in order to do this and I just don't want to remove some of the good technology in the truck. The 2022 (my year of truck) supposedly has increased support on the ANC that significant improved silence in the cabin.

What I meant by "in-line" vs. "directly from the amp" is; what is controlling the crossover frequency to the headliner speakers? Is is a capacitor attached to the speaker OR is the frequency set at the amp?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hearing someone say their system sounds bliss to their ears gives me hope because I'm struggling with this HK system. Plenty of holes in the frequency... Here is my biggest concern with going full on aftermarket (similar to what you have done), I've heard that you must bypass the ANC (active noise cancellation) in order to do this and I just don't want to remove some of the good technology in the truck. The 2022 (my year of truck) supposedly has increased support on the ANC that significant improved silence in the cabin.

What I meant by "in-line" vs. "directly from the amp" is; what is controlling the crossover frequency to the headliner speakers? Is is a capacitor attached to the speaker OR is the frequency set at the amp?
Everything happens in the amp for these from what I've read. I don't think there is a way to go aftermarket amps and keep ANC. The Maestro AR *might* let you keep ANC, but I never looked that far into it. That said, I had a Maestro AR and Kenwood 600-6DSP amp in my Durango, but I don't recall if the '19-'20 Durangos had ANC.

Last edited:

JustCallMeD

Reaction score

Ya the HK system was driving me nuts, especially the bass roll off that it did... There's nothing HK left in my truck now lol

Well my truck didn't come with ANC because it's an Ecodiesel, but honestly, even if I had ANC the massive upgrade in sound that I've accomplished would be worth the trade off for me. I like my music, crystal clear, low frequencies all there and able to put it up all the way with no distortion. It's loud enough for me even using audiophile grade components.

All the component speakers for me are provided their signal through my DSP (Helix V Twelve) so I have no inline capacitors or anything like that. It's all done through DSP which also has huge benefits as well with Time Alignment, Multiple tunes, and a plethora of other stuff.

NickB

Reaction score
@JustCallMeD LOVE the selections for you new speakers. I bet it sounds so freaking amazing!? Question, did you 'flatten' the processing within the PAC AMP PRO and only adjust the HELIX DSP? It looks like the PAC AMP PRO has some tuning ability.

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
@JustCallMeD LOVE the selections for you new speakers. I bet it sounds so freaking amazing!? Question, did you 'flatten' the processing within the PAC AMP PRO and only adjust the HELIX DSP? It looks like the PAC AMP PRO has some tuning ability.
Thanks! It took quite a bit of research and acoustic principal learning to get to where I'm at with the speaker selection but it was well worth it to me that's for sure. Sound wise I believe it's incredible, I would actually like to go to a sound comp just to see if it's as good as I think it is with some judges comments or whatever...

The PAC sends out a completely flat signal to my Helix. I did not activate the PAC equalizer because the DSP is way more advanced than the basic 3 level equalizer.

Personally I would always recommend having a clean signal to a DSP over anything else. Like even before doing anything else this would always be my recommendation, before changing speakers or anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread