5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 1500 not responding to key fobs, but will still start start and do keyless door handle unlock.

southGAram

Reaction score
This is a weird and frustrating issue that started happening to me this morning. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie and as of this morning, it will no longer respond to either one of my key fobs when I try to remote start it from the key fob, lock, or even unlock it remotely with the key fobs. However, the truck's keyless "enter 'n go" feature still works when I put my hand on the door handle (with either key fob on my person), and my truck still recognizes the key fob once inside the truck to crank it when I press the "Push to Start" button.

I have not replaced the batteries in either key fob but assumed the key fob battery was not the issue since they are having the same issue with the truck not responding to them remotely.

Could it possibly be that the RF Hub has failed? I have read others mentioned that the RF Hub could be the culprit to issues like this, especially if there is any sort of water damage to that area, which I don't see at the moment.

Rocket

Reaction score
This is a weird and frustrating issue that started happening to me this morning. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie and as of this morning, it will no longer respond to either one of my key fobs when I try to remote start it from the key fob, lock, or even unlock it remotely with the key fobs. However, the truck's keyless "enter 'n go" feature still works when I put my hand on the door handle (with either key fob on my person), and my truck still recognizes the key fob once inside the truck to crank it when I press the "Push to Start" button.

I have not replaced the batteries in either key fob but assumed the key fob battery was not the issue since they are having the same issue with the truck not responding to them remotely.

Could it possibly be that the RF Hub has failed? I have read others mentioned that the RF Hub could be the culprit to issues like this, especially if there is any sort of water damage to that area, which I don't see at the moment.
Hello, I have a 2021 Ram 1500 and went through the same symptoms two months ago. It turns out that in my truck it was caused by water leaking into the RF hub from the infamous rear windshield leak. I am now impatiently waiting for the rear glass to arrive at the dealer for them to replace it. It’s scheduled to arrive on 4/1.

southGAram

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2021 Ram 1500 and went through the same symptoms two months ago. It turns out that in my truck it was caused by water leaking into the RF hub from the infamous rear windshield leak. I am now impatiently waiting for the rear glass to arrive at the dealer for them to replace it. It’s scheduled to arrive on 4/1.
That’s just fantastic. Did they happen to quote you on the repairs for it?

Now that I carefully look at the interior rear ceiling, I can see a faint outline in the fabric where it looks like it was wet at some point. I’m thinking my situation is the exact as yours.

Rocket

Reaction score
That’s just fantastic. Did they happen to quote you on the repairs for it?

Now that I carefully look at the interior rear ceiling, I can see a faint outline in the fabric where it looks like it was wet at some point. I’m thinking my situation is the exact as yours.
Interestingly a couple of days after my truck was diagnosed with the leak, the key fob started working again with no other noted negative behavior. My truck is still under warranty, so I was not quoted a cost for repair. You might experience the same results after the moisture dries out.
That being said, there is an extension of the warranty for the rear glass (the length of the extension escapes me for now, I’m sure others on here can chime in with that information), it maybe worth a shot to at least get that addressed through the dealer.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Interesting how these hubs fail in different ways. Mine was way more catastrophic than yours. Nothing worked (and I mean nothing) and I had to have it towed to the dealer. Immediately diagnosed as RF Hub, but no water intrusion, just failed. I have no rear window water leak. They replaced it (under extended warranty) and it was back to normal. Weird how yours works partially.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly a couple of days after my truck was diagnosed with the leak, the key fob started working again with no other noted negative behavior. My truck is still under warranty, so I was not quoted a cost for repair. You might experience the same results after the moisture dries out.
That being said, there is an extension of the warranty for the rear glass (the length of the extension escapes me for now, I’m sure others on here can chime in with that information), it maybe worth a shot to at least get that addressed through the dealer.
The extended warranty doesn't apply to all trucks. I got the letter for mine, but it's vin specific. Definitely worth checking on though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/