5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 vs Ford 150 King Ranch

N4815

Reaction score
Currently have a 2017 Ford 150 King Ranch with 5.0 liter engine. Looking to trade in and have been impressed with what I have read and with my test drive of Ram 2020 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 With the 5.7l hemi engine. Looking for any insight from those who have owned a Ford in the past and how the new Ram truck compares. Thanks in advance

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Currently have a 2017 Ford 150 King Ranch with 5.0 liter engine. Looking to trade in and have been impressed with what I have read and with my test drive of Ram 2020 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 With the 5.7l hemi engine. Looking for any insight from those who have owned a Ford in the past and how the new Ram truck compares. Thanks in advance

I haven’t owned a ford but I spent quite a bit of time driving my Friend’s 2016 Lariat that was loaded up with the 3.5 eco boost. I also have a 2019 Ram Limited which is virtually the same as the Longhorn just a different theme.

I find power delivery to be smoother in my ram vs his F150. I bet that’s a product of being a NA V8 in the Ram vs a turbo 6 in the F150. The interior quality is hands down better and the infotainment system is light years ahead of the Ford.

I truly hate driving his Ford, it’s faster for sure, but towing with it sucks because of the squat and the interior is so plasticy that it looks cheap.

The computer in the gauge cluster is cool on the F150 as it gives you angles of your wheels, the degrees that your truck is going down or up. Helpful information the Ram doesn’t offer. That’s about the only nice thing I can say about the F150.

This is probably as helpful as watching paint dry, but there’s my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixate

Reaction score
Just traded in my 17 F150 a month ago for a Ram. Had an XLT as loaded as those can be with 3.5L, HD tow package, and everything else available to an XLT.

Got a 20 Bighorn Night Edition with a few options and 12" display. Ride quality is 10 times better and 10 times quiter. That F150 I had was plagued with IWE issues, frozen locks, electrical issues, clunking tansmission, timing chain issues and quite a few other smaller issues.

I like that I can get 4A on a lower trim truck, but doesn't feel like lower trim. I hate leather interior so I avoid higher trims for that reason alone. You have to step up to a Lariat with Ford to get 4A and leather is the only option. And I have a few other things that are available on a Bighorn lvl 2 package compared to similar trimmed F150 (XLT).

I always hated the seats in my F150, hard and uncomfortable no matter how much I adjusted them. Plus the headrest was annoying. It's placed too far forward and always in the way. Could never lean back if cruising and get comfortable. Zero issues with comfort in my Ram.

I don't miss tbe 3.5L either. It's a great motor, but the turbo lag is annoying. The power in the Ram just comes on smoother imo. It's much easier to drive when in 2wd and wet.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can make good arguments for both trucks in a lot of feature areas...but if you sit in a loaded Longhorn (particularly with the black/saddle interior and 12” screen), you may not need any further explanation.

tdog65

Reaction score
I'm in same boat here. I have an 18 king ranch that I really like. Has all the bells and whistles. I get tons of compliments on it. I'm a person that changes vehicles pretty often so I've had a chance to have them all. I had a 16 Laramie with and eco diesel that was one of my favorite trucks but I did have lots of small issues with it. I test drove a ram Limited the other day and was very impressed. The interior is heads above the F150 (still can't believe they don't have power tilt) but other as nice as my wife lexus. I love gadgets so obviously the 12" screen was very cool. I'm thinking about trading in but I've been reading thru the forums and I know forums only point out problems but sure does seem to be a lot of common problems thru out the threads that have me nervous. I've had several high end f150's for the most part and not really ever had any issues with any of them. I keep trying to walk away and say I'm going to wait till next year but every time I see a ram on the road I start looking again.

Jyates04

Reaction score
I looked for months before I bought my Ram. I drove the 3.5 eco boost the 5.0, then the Rams....the fords felt faster paired with the 10 speed no doubt, but I’d rather have a nice interior vs performance. The Hemi is plenty fast for me, very smooth & quiet compared to the brand new fords I drove...and the inside of my Bighorn doesn’t look like a fisher price toy. As someone else said, you can make a solid argument for both brands but the interior and front end on the gen 5 ram had me sold.

rotts4u

Reaction score
My feelings echo the one above mine. I spent months shopping and for me it came down to the F150 KingRanch and the Ram 1500 Longhorn. I drove both the Ecoboost and the Coyote 5.0L Ford. Both feel great with the 3.5L Ecoboost feeling the sharpest and quickest right off the bottom. The Hemi almost feels a bit Lazy in comparison because its so effortless. Both are VERY very nice trucks. For me the interior of the Ram is better and I seem to always be able to get a better price on the Ram. Ive had my longhorn 3-4 months now and have not regretted anything other than not having the 33 gal tank. IF you drive a lot make sure you get it otherwise you can barely go 400 miles on a tank. I have the 5.7 E torque on my 2019 and get 18-20 mpg on it in mostly highway driving

N4815

Reaction score
Well I did it. Bought the Ram with saddle/ black leather interior instead of staying with a Ford. Interior of the Ram just out did the Ford. The 12 inch Uconnect screen seems much easier to use than my old ford Sync system. Time will tell but right now I am one happy guy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I did it. Bought the Ram with saddle/ black leather interior instead of staying with a Ford. Interior of the Ram just out did the Ford. The 12 inch Uconnect screen seems much easier to use than my old ford Sync system. Time will tell but right now I am one happy guy.
Congrats! That black/saddle is beautiful. Yes, I’m biased:

Users who are viewing this thread