5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Lonestar 4x4 Fueling Issues

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ok Forum, I purchased a 2020 Ram October 2020. The day we drive it off the dealer lot I had noticed the Tank was not full. It was at 7/8 maybe. I thought kind of strange that a dealer usually gives a full tank. I thought whatever I am not that cheap. Until I went to fill it up the next time. It shut off numerous times when filling up and guess what only filled to 7/8. Took to dealer end of October and they said common problem. We need to replace the tank. Ok great. Pick up truck and the same thing. I am in Texas and it was winter, my busiest time of year so I shelved it until February.

Took truck back in late February same dealer, yep it’s the filler neck. Which took another week. (2 weeks they had my truck at this point). Picked it up same problem not fixed. Contact Ram Care, we will help the dealer fix it. Engineer involved and state it’s the fuel Canister. Order that. Another week goes by. It’s fixed come pick it up. Not fixed! Ram Care, Engineers and Dealership are in involved and are aware. Ok bring it back in and we are not going to give it back to you until it’s fixed. After they had the truck another week, they replaced the sending unit/fuel pump which that failed to fix it while they were testing, tank will still not fill. Chrysler says the last think it’s can be is the BVM Body Vehicle Module. We have one on order. After 4 days later it’s ready. You have tested and it’s fixed? Well that’s what Chrysler has told us would fix it. Did you test it? Yep. Please come pick it up. Prior to even pulling out of the drive of the dealer truck is at 7/8” of tank. Ran truck until empty and I was going away for the weekend. Same problem is there and still will not take anymore than 19.2 gallons of gas. Ugh!

So not only have I not had the truck for about a month out the 6 months we have owed it, the problem that has been so called repaired is not fixed.

I have been in contact with Ram Care, the Dealer is no help at all. The dealer Service Manager tells me it’s a prime candidate for a Buy Back. That’s a whole other story.
I am losing my confidence in Chrysler and affraid of what I need to do next.

I have not gone negative once but that may need to be coming to an end.

Open to advice or comments.

Thanks for reading

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing on my Laramie. I have the 23 gallon tank, so it's important to get it full. I almost always wait until the low fuel light comes on, so I know how much it should take to fill the tank. I noticed that at a couple of the local gas stations with new style nozzles, I can only get about 17 gallons into it. At other gas stations with older style nozzles I can get about 19+ gallons into it. It appears to have something to do with the way the newer style nozzles work. I've never been a fan of the cap-less fuel fillers, and this issue isn't helping with that opinion. For now I just try to avoid the gas stations I know cause an issue. But the problem will just get worse as the will eventually all upgrade to the new nozzles.

Shadow24

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my BTS 2020 1500 Bighorn, new filler neck and new tank problem seems to be fixed. I'll keep you all posted.

dandar

Reaction score
It could be just a problem with that particular gas station's pumps. I noticed I have trouble filling at some gas stations. The pump shuts off. If I don't put the filler all the way in or let it fill slowly it will pump it full. Other gas stations have no such problems. Chrysler/Ram messed up the design of the new fillers that don't need a fuel cap. I also have a Volvo with that type of a filler and don't have any such issues on it.

conesmacker

Reaction score
I've noticed that the fuel level needle stays on Full longer if the rear wheels are higher than the front wheels when filling up. Finding a pump with a surrounding slope going the right way helps, but during a recent 3,600 mile trip, I carried some 4" tall wood ramps which seemed to help when placed under the rear wheels.

It feels to me that if the truck is level OR the front end is higher than the rear, the upward slope prevents the last gallon or two from getting in the tank, like there's an air pocket at the tank's front or something else giving the wrong pressure level to the pump nozzle and it shuts off. I think an error was made with the 23 gallon tank and it's installation angle or shape.

It always seems to stay on Full longer if the truck front is lower on a hill or slope than the rear, and I perceive I get much closer to the 23 gallons. The most I've ever put in is like 22.1 gallons.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've noticed that the fuel level needle stays on Full longer if the rear wheels are higher than the front wheels when filling up. Finding a pump with a surrounding slope going the right way helps, but during a recent 3,600 mile trip, I carried some 4" tall wood ramps which seemed to help when placed under the rear wheels.

It feels to me that if the truck is level OR the front end is higher than the rear, the upward slope prevents the last gallon or two from getting in the tank, like there's an air pocket at the tank's front or something else giving the wrong pressure level to the pump nozzle and it shuts off. I think an error was made with the 23 gallon tank and it's installation angle or shape.

It always seems to stay on Full longer if the truck front is lower on a hill or slope than the rear, and I perceive I get much closer to the 23 gallons. The most I've ever put in is like 22.1 gallons.
How are you able to add more than 22 gallons to a 23 gallon tank? The most I've ever been able to stuff in my 23 gallon tank is just over 19 gallons, and that's when I'm wasn't having a fueling issue. Fuel gauge was over the full mark. When I have fueling issues I can't fit in more than 17 gallons, and the fuel gauge is at about the 7/8 full mark. Are you sure you don't have a 26 gallon tank? Have you checked your build sheet to verify tank size?

MarshRam

Reaction score
We have the same problem. Can’t get anymore than 19 gallons in when empty

Merlin

Reaction score
I can't get more that 3/4 of a gallon in at a time. Pump just shuts off. tried several different pumps at costco. Next I will try a different gas station. aggravating.

Choate

Reaction score
Kinda of an older thread revived but same here. Sometimes it’ll go full. Most of the time it’s about 7/8 full like the other member reported. I actually went to the gas station across the street after it did this last time and got 3 more gallons out of that one. I have the 26 gallon tank. 2019. Pretty annoying. Sometimes it wants to shut off over and over every gallon or so unless you hold it yourself. I may try putting the pump on the lowest flow setting and seeing what that does

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Dang that’s horrible! I would 100% make them lemon law it. It’s been in for the same issue multiple times and it’s been out of service for more than 30 days and it’s still not fixed. 100% it’s a lemon by definition.
My truck isn’t that bad but it does cut off usually at 22.5 gallons (I have the 26 gallon tank) when I fill up from empty. I spend a solid 5 minutes topping it off each time and usually fit another 3 gallons. I actually have fit 26 gallons in it before lol I shouldn’t be letting it get that empty. I’m going to start filling up at 1/8 or 1/4 tank left.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dang that’s horrible! I would 100% make them lemon law it. It’s been in for the same issue multiple times and it’s been out of service for more than 30 days and it’s still not fixed. 100% it’s a lemon by definition.
My truck isn’t that bad but it does cut off usually at 22.5 gallons (I have the 26 gallon tank) when I fill up from empty. I spend a solid 5 minutes topping it off each time and usually fit another 3 gallons. I actually have fit 26 gallons in it before lol I shouldn’t be letting it get that empty. I’m going to start filling up at 1/8 or 1/4 tank left.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting. I’ll still always top off after the gas settles after about 30 seconds, but I guess I’ll stop filling up a lot. I’ve never filled up so much that it over flowed though lol. At least not in this truck. At work I fit 48 gallons in a 43 gallon tank because I was in a competition with a coworker who could fill up with more LOL

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting. I’ll still always top off after the gas settles after about 30 seconds, but I guess I’ll stop filling up a lot. I’ve never filled up so much that it over flowed though lol. At least not in this truck. At work I fit 48 gallons in a 43 gallon tank because I was in a competition with a coworker who could fill up with more LOL
BMW motorcycles will spill out of the charcoal filter when over filled. Eventually the charcoal filter becomes clogged and can cause a lack of air flow to the gas tank. I believe this is the same for cars except for the over flow.

Merlin

Reaction score
I was at the dealer yesterday morning for the radio update and let them know I was getting a false fill when trying to pump gas. They blew out the vent line and said there was debris in it. I had filled up on Saturday morning after the pump clicking off about 30 times or more, I lost count. I have a long ride out to the range tomorrow so I will burn up some gas and hopefully when I fill up on Friday the problem is fixed. If not the service rep said to call and they will replace the filler neck.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
BMW motorcycles will spill out of the charcoal filter when over filled. Eventually the charcoal filter becomes clogged and can cause a lack of air flow to the gas tank. I believe this is the same for cars except for the over flow.
post 11 above has a link to just that

"1. It can hurt your car: When you fill up your gas tank to the tippy-top, you may not be leaving enough room for the vapor recovery system in your car to do its job. If the fuel level inside the tank is too high, causing the charcoal canister to suck in liquid fuel instead of vapors, it can be damaged and need replacement — and that can be expensive."

Merlin

Reaction score
So another update since the dealer fix on Monday. I took a decent ride for work yesterday and this morning with less than half a tank I started to fill it up and after a half gallon the pump clicked off. So I tried again figuring it would take a long time to fill up again, well I was wrong. A few more clicks and trying to get it to take some gas it just started spitting fuel out. I was only able to get about 3 gallons in and it backwashed out all over. So I called the dealer and they said to come in tomorrow it sounds like they have to replace the filler neck. So I have just over a half tank of gas and I hope this is the fix.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kinda of an older thread revived but same here. Sometimes it’ll go full. Most of the time it’s about 7/8 full like the other member reported. I actually went to the gas station across the street after it did this last time and got 3 more gallons out of that one. I have the 26 gallon tank. 2019. Pretty annoying. Sometimes it wants to shut off over and over every gallon or so unless you hold it yourself. I may try putting the pump on the lowest flow setting and seeing what that does
I'm having the same issue as you with my 23 gallon tank. It's getting rather annoying that I usually try filling up when I hit 1/4 and every time I fill up it's not the same amount. It varies from 16-19 gallons and rarely goes above the full mark. Not sure if I should make a run to the dealer or not. Only reason it's annoying is when I take my trip to pick up my daughter from Midland, sometimes I make it there with a tank and most of the time I have to pump gas before I get there. :| I should easily be able to get there with one tank an done tank to come back, but it's taking me two tanks and a quarter of one usually.

Merlin

Reaction score
So another update since the dealer fix on Monday. I took a decent ride for work yesterday and this morning with less than half a tank I started to fill it up and after a half gallon the pump clicked off. So I tried again figuring it would take a long time to fill up again, well I was wrong. A few more clicks and trying to get it to take some gas it just started spitting fuel out. I was only able to get about 3 gallons in and it backwashed out all over. So I called the dealer and they said to come in tomorrow it sounds like they have to replace the filler neck. So I have just over a half tank of gas and I hope this is the fix.
So I have been at the dealer since 8 this morning. It is currently 3:15 pm. They replaced the fuel filler neck and the tech left to put gas in at my expense which is fine. He hasn't.come back yet, or it didn't.work because it's been an hour. So still waiting.

Merlin

Reaction score
so the gas splashed back and out, and the remedy is a new gas tank. I have to try to minimize my driving until it hopefully comes in. In about 11 days. Truck has 17000 miles on just glad it is still under warranty. Hopefully it will be the remedy

Users who are viewing this thread