5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 humming noise

Papa Nof

Reaction score
To whom this may concern: we recently took our 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 with 1400 miles out for a drive. While driving the speed limit of 25 mph the vehicle started to get loud and the rpms climbed up to 7000. We pulled the vehicle over placed back in park and proceeded onward with no difficulty. We immediately contacted our dealership and they informed us that they never heard of such a problem with these trucks. We did our own research via google and came across this forum and discovered that we are not alone with this issue. Our dealer treated us like this was no big problem and let us leave with feeling insecure about this new truck that we bought. We called around to other dealers local and out of state and none of these dealers are acknowledging these issues. One out of state dealer was kind enough to be proactive and inform us that we could bring the truck in for a diagnostic obd scan to see if this issue has triggered a fault code stored in the computer and not seen on the dash. It would be nice if someone from Dodge could reach out to us before this becomes a larger issue.
Thank You.

C0ps

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issue. Im not quite understanding what your looking for? Are you just venting? Your first step is to take your truck in for warranty and have them try to figure out what the issue is. Sounds like you want your truck repaired without going to your dealer?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To whom this may concern: we recently took our 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 with 1400 miles out for a drive. While driving the speed limit of 25 mph the vehicle started to get loud and the rpms climbed up to 7000. We pulled the vehicle over placed back in park and proceeded onward with no difficulty. We immediately contacted our dealership and they informed us that they never heard of such a problem with these trucks. We did our own research via google and came across this forum and discovered that we are not alone with this issue. Our dealer treated us like this was no big problem and let us leave with feeling insecure about this new truck that we bought. We called around to other dealers local and out of state and none of these dealers are acknowledging these issues. One out of state dealer was kind enough to be proactive and inform us that we could bring the truck in for a diagnostic obd scan to see if this issue has triggered a fault code stored in the computer and not seen on the dash. It would be nice if someone from Dodge could reach out to us before this becomes a larger issue.
Thank You.
Sounds to me like you hit the gear selector buttons on your steering wheel inadvertently and downshifted your truck, which caused the climb in RPM's. When you put it in park, the gears defaulted back to normal. I suspect operator error. Go out and try it, you'll be able to replicate the issue again with ease.

Last edited:

C0ps

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you hit the gear selector buttons on your steering wheel inadvertently and downshifted your truck, which caused the climb in RPM's. When you put it in park, the gears default back to normal. This is most definitely operator error. Go out and try it, you'll be able to replicate the issue again with ease.

This sounds like what could of happened but he said he did a search on this forum and says he is not alone with this problem which leads me to believe he is describing something else.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This sounds like what could of happened but he said he did a search on this forum and says he is not alone with this problem which leads me to believe he is describing something else.
No warning lights, just a random jump in RPM's, engine screaming...there are no other threads that I've read here in the past year that did not involve inadvertent downshifting of the transmission that caused this problem. It's very easy to do, and most do not even realize they've done it until they read about it here, and 7000 RPM's is the Maximum RPM shown on the cluster, probably held the button down and it hit first gear, at 25mph. Or, he thought he was adjusting a radio station, adjusting volume, adjusting cruise control, scrolling through the menu...anything other than shifting the transmission, there are so many controls on the steering wheel, takes time to get used to them and their functions. I'm over 22,000 miles in mine, and I still hit the wrong button occasionally.

Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Sounds to me like you hit the gear selector buttons on your steering wheel inadvertently and downshifted your truck, which caused the climb in RPM's. When you put it in park, the gears defaulted back to normal. I suspect operator error. Go out and try it, you'll be able to replicate the issue again with ease.
This ^^^

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ran a test while sitting still and in drive. I hit the downshift button on the steering wheel and held it down. Dash initially shows 8th gear then immediately jumped to 1st gear. No sequential downshift. Now I’m positive this is what the OP did.

C0ps

Reaction score
I just ran a test while sitting still and in drive. I hit the downshift button on the steering wheel and held it down. Dash initially shows 8th gear then immediately jumped to 1st gear. No sequential downshift. Now I’m positive this is what the OP did.
I'm just wondering now, doing this test while the truck is not moving I can see why the truck will shift from 8th gear to 1st. Will the truck shift from 8th to 1st at 25 mph if you hold the gear down button? This could be a real bad thing if your going faster.

Goody

Reaction score
WOW!! I'll have to keep that in mind. I would have just 'assumed' that Ram would have code in the PCM to prevent inadvertent downshifts with an auto transmission to prevent this type of potential damaging actions. Rev limiters usually will keep you from overrevving while staying in a gear too long, but downshifts are a different matter. You can overrev a manual tranny by putting it into the wrong gear since the clutch engagement is fully manual... but a computer controlled auto tranny is a different matter entirely. It should have built in safeguards to keep me from selecting 1st gear when the speed is clearly going to cause an issue. If all this is even possible... I have not attempted it to validate the claim.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just wondering now, doing this test while the truck is not moving I can see why the truck will shift from 8th gear to 1st. Will the truck shift from 8th to 1st at 25 mph if you hold the gear down button? This could be a real bad thing if your going faster.
I'm not willing to try that particular test in my truck. I do, however, believe that the OP inadvertently proved that it can happen. Note to self...NEVER HOLD DOWN THE DOWNSHIFT BUTTON...CLICK AND RELEASE

d19r93

Reaction score
I honestly don't think it would let you downshift to first if you were going 50+mph. That would be insane.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PSA for all you Ram owners. I just ran my truck up to 20+mph, let off the gas and held the downshift button down without releasing, the truck went straight to 1st gear. Of course, I rapidly upshifted before it could fully engage. I see no indication that it would not also do so at highway speeds. This could cost you a motor if you do not mind your Ps and Qs.

C0ps

Reaction score
PSA for all you Ram owners. I just ran my truck up to 20+mph, let off the gas and held the downshift button down without releasing, the truck went straight to 1st gear. Of course, I rapidly upshifted before it could fully engage. I see no indication that it would not also do so at highway speeds. This could cost you a motor if you do not mind your Ps and Qs.
That is crazy!! Thanks for testing this for us.

Users who are viewing this thread