5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 1500 Headlight Problems

512.5thgen

Reaction score
Hello, I was recently having trouble with my headlights so I decided to switch to AlphaRex series headlights. The initial problem was my driver side assembly would sometimes flicker on and off randomly, while idle or driving, and as I wasn’t a fan of the factory halogen housings, I decided to upgrade.
I now have a problem where ALL of my headlights and fog lights randomly turn off while driving. I can’t use the switch to turn them on, nothing. They just stop turning on. I’ve tried 3 different bulbs in each housing, I’ve tried unplugging the headlights and doing the 30 minute soft reset. Nothing is working. Installing these headlights took forever and I don’t want to have to go back to the dealership and they tell me “well your aftermarket headlights are the problem”.
Anyone else having headlight problems?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Haven't experienced any headlight problems yet, but I suspect there is a bad connection in the factory wiring. Since you obviously had the connectors at the lights loose when you installed the new ones, it's probably not those. I would look for a loose ground somewhere, or a bad connection/corrosion at the fusebox. Unfotunately, if you need to take it back for a warranty diagnosis, you would likely be best served by returning it to stock, so the dealer can diag it based on the recommended procedures they have. Please keep us updated on what you find.

512.5thgen

Reaction score
Haven't experienced any headlight problems yet, but I suspect there is a bad connection in the factory wiring. Since you obviously had the connectors at the lights loose when you installed the new ones, it's probably not those. I would look for a loose ground somewhere, or a bad connection/corrosion at the fusebox. Unfotunately, if you need to take it back for a warranty diagnosis, you would likely be best served by returning it to stock, so the dealer can diag it based on the recommended procedures they have. Please keep us updated on what you find.
I’m starting to think it’s something in my BCM. Every day, a different bulb is the only bulb that works. Today it’s the passenger high beam, yesterday was the driver low beam.
This is what I’m experiencing: https://streamable.com/lu64s3

FishOn

Reaction score
When I installed my aftermarket headlights, the pins inside the headlight connector were quite a bit shorter than the factory ones and I was having a bunch of random connectivity issues... I ended up shaving a 1/16" or so off of both the factory plug and the headlight socket and it fixed it. They just weren't seating properly.

Shives

Reaction score
I’m having a low beam issues B162a. I just have aftermarket LED lights, and Tazer. But nothing else up front changed. Have you ran for codes?

award3

Reaction score
When I installed my aftermarket headlights, the pins inside the headlight connector were quite a bit shorter than the factory ones and I was having a bunch of random connectivity issues... I ended up shaving a 1/16" or so off of both the factory plug and the headlight socket and it fixed it. They just weren't seating properly.
I have a 2020 ram 1500 stock halogen headlights. I purchased the same headlights you have on your truck and I'm having that same issue. I pins on the aftermarket headlight connection don't look long enough and when you plug it in to the factory truck harness it doesn't connect right and the lights flicker. Did cutting it down really make it work?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah but if he was having issues with his factory halogens the problem is probably elsewhere

ethemartian

Reaction score
I am having the same issues with my AlphaRex i posted about it here:

Same thing my lights cycle on off and then bam cant turn them on at all. I wonder if something like this would fix it:

Question - do you have LEDs in your AlphaRex or just incandescent?

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your headlights.

1. Check the wiring: Ensure that all the wiring connections are secure and properly connected. Loose or faulty connections can cause intermittent power issues.

2. Verify the power source: Confirm that the headlights are receiving a steady power supply. Check the fuse box and wiring harness for any signs of damage or loose connections.

3. Check the switch: Inspect the headlight switch to ensure it's functioning correctly. Faulty switches can cause intermittent power loss.

4. Consult the manufacturer or a professional: If the issue persists, it might be beneficial to reach out to the manufacturer of your AlphaRex headlights for assistance. They may have encountered similar issues and can provide specific troubleshooting steps or solutions. Alternatively, consulting a professional mechanic or automotive electrician could help diagnose and resolve the problem.

Remember, it's essential to follow all safety precautions and consult experts or professionals when dealing with electrical issues in your vehicle. For more information check out: Dodge Ram Headlight Problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread