5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 fuel tank upgrade swap?

NORCALBIGHORN

Reaction score
Hey would love to know anyone who did a successful fuel tank upgrade swap from 23 to 33 gal.... I have E torque option on mine so i didnt catch my sticker actually " deleting the 26 gal tank and replacing it with a 23 gal... which is straight up worthless to me..... really bad idea Ram even did this in the 1st place... any info is appreciated thanks!!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree and I know folks will come on and say this have been talked about to death. There have been several folks on here who have done it, I’ll see if I can find the links.

Skater

Reaction score
I agree with you on the puny fuel tank. I ordered my Ram to make sure it had the larger tank. It makes little sense to have a HEMI hauler and have to stop every 250 miles for fuel.

Here is one thread that will help:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey would love to know anyone who did a successful fuel tank upgrade swap from 23 to 33 gal.... I have E torque option on mine so i didnt catch my sticker actually " deleting the 26 gal tank and replacing it with a 23 gal... which is straight up worthless to me..... really bad idea Ram even did this in the 1st place... any info is appreciated thanks!!
It has nothing to do with etorque. It's because it's a short bed. Those come standard with the 23 gallon tank no matter which engine option you select. Both the quad cab and crew cab long bed come standard with 26 gallon tanks, while the crew cab short bed comes standard with the 23 gallon tank.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with etorque. It's because it's a short bed. Those come standard with the 23 gallon tank no matter which engine option you select. Both the quad cab and crew cab long bed come standard with 26 gallon tanks, while the crew cab short bed comes standard with the 23 gallon tank.
Thats 100% false. 23 gallon is only standard on the E-Torque. 26 gallon is standard otherwise(free upgrade when ordering e-torque), my truck is a crew cab standard Hemi and it came with the 26.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thats 100% false. 23 gallon is only standard on the E-Torque. 26 gallon is standard otherwise(free upgrade when ordering e-torque), my truck is a crew cab standard Hemi and it came with the 26.
You don't have to believe me, you can see it for yourself. Build out a Big Horn on the ramtrucks.com site and you'll see that if you select the crew cab short bed it will have options to upgrade to 26 or 33 gallon tanks regardless of which engine you select. Then build out the same truck as a crew cab long bed, and you'll see that it only has an option for the 33 gallon tank regardless of which engine you select. Of course this is for the 2021 model year, and maybe that's different than it was for 2020 models, but our 2020 Limited (crew cab short box) would have come with the 23 gallon tank if we hadn't selected the 33 gallon option. It's a Hemi without etorque.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ridiculous. I can’t imagine why FCA would put any tank smaller than 33 gallons. It can’t cost them that much more than a smaller thank.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ridiculous. I can’t imagine why FCA would put any tank smaller than 33 gallons. It can’t cost them that much more than a smaller thank.
I completely agree. I suspect it's because of payload. Since I rarely ever haul anything heavier than a kitchen appliance, payload doesn't matter for me. But I know there are many who are concerned with payload.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
23 may be standard on big horn, but limiteds come standard with 26 gallon, upgradable to 33. Even says so on rams Spec sheet for Limited trim

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
23 may be standard on big horn, but limiteds come standard with 26 gallon, upgradable to 33. Even says so on rams Spec sheet for Limited trim
This is true. I'm thinking that our 2020 Limited would have come with the 26 gallon tank as well if we hadn't upgraded it. The sales rep told us it would be 23 unless we upgraded to 26 or 33, but I should have taken that with a bucket of salt.

The build website shows what you're saying for the Limited. Looks like the Longhorn is the same, and surprisingly the Tradesman also comes standard with a 26 gallon tank no matter which engine you choose for crew cab short bed. Big Horn, Laramie, and Rebel all appear to come standard with 23 gallon tank for all engine choices for crew cab short bed.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confused? Here's the way it's listed in the 2019 Ram DT catalog:
  • 23 gallon (included with HFE models, standard with 3.6L Quad Cab, not available with 3.6L V6 Crew Cab; included with 5.7L V8 eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Tradesman, Big Horn, Rebel and Laramie).
  • Add 26 gallon (optional with H2, X2, and P2 equipment packages on 5.7L V8 BSG 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Big Horn, Rebel, Laramie).
  • 33 gallon (included with 8-foot box models*, not available on Regular cab short box models*; optional with H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 packages).
*NOTE: There was no 8-foot box nor a regular cab on US 2019 DT Rams.

Packages
H1 = Big Horn Level 1
H2 = Big Horn Level 2
L1 = Tradesman Level 1
P1 = Laramie Level 1
P2 = Laramie Level 2
R1 = Laramie Long Horn Level 1
M1 = Limited Level 1
X1 = Rebel Level 1
X2 = Rebel Level 1 & Level 2

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Confused? Here's the way it's listed in the 2019 Ram DT catalog:
  • 23 gallon (included with HFE models, standard with 3.6L Quad Cab, not available with 3.6L V6 Crew Cab; included with 5.7L V8 eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Tradesman, Big Horn, Rebel and Laramie).
  • Add 26 gallon (optional with H2, X2, and P2 equipment packages on 5.7L V8 BSG 4x4 Crew Cab short box on Big Horn, Rebel, Laramie).
  • 33 gallon (included with 8-foot box models*, not available on Regular cab short box models*; optional with H2, X1, X2, P1 and P2 packages).
*NOTE: There was no 8-foot box nor a regular cab on US 2019 DT Rams.

Packages
H1 = Big Horn Level 1
H2 = Big Horn Level 2
L1 = Tradesman Level 1
P1 = Laramie Level 1
P2 = Laramie Level 2
R1 = Laramie Long Horn Level 1
M1 = Limited Level 1
X1 = Rebel Level 1
X2 = Rebel Level 1 & Level 2

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.
It's easy to see why there are conflicting claims, because this is not true for 2021 models. And I suspect it was different for 2020 as well. Like anything else, there are changes within a model year, let alone from model year to model year. I guess I was just pointing out the fact that it's not just etorque which determines tank size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online