5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Longhorn Interior Dash/Trim Design Feedback

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have had my loaded 20 longhorn Ecodiesel for less than a week - its an amazing vehicle overall.

One concern regarding interior -I selected Saddle/Black interior for my longhorn - pleasantly surprised that it has Gold Trim pieces on dash instead of plain steel/silver look. HOWEVER, here is the caveat - while the gold trim on doors, dash looks insanely amazing ...... someone at RAM design didnt think through - and yet the trim accents around the vent grills, transmission shifter knob, volume knob, and bunch of others on the center stack are all silver !!!!

There is high-end gold/champagne trim going on the dash, and then there is bunch of mis-match silver in their ..... Cant Imagine how cheaper it was.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Great. I hadn't even thought about that. Something else to get my OCD aggravated .. LOL

Seriously I've never paid that much attention to the silver parts, but the gold was something that we really liked when we bought the truck. Mine is a '19.
I'm like you I wouldn't think it saved much money by not producing those parts in gold as well. I think all the silver done in the gold would look better.

blue tom

Reaction score
No, I'm not bothered by it at all. I think they really put together a very attractive interior on this truck. I'm glad the first one I test drove happened to have the longhorn saddle interior, because it really got me a lot more interested in the RAM itself. I don't feel like the silver bits stand out or take away from the gold accents.

I mean, now that you've mentioned it, I can agree that they probably just came from different suppliers that weren't asked to make these parts (stereo knobs, toggle switches, shifter dial, vent trim, start button, etc.) in the presumably longhorn-only color variation for cost savings. I think the Longhorn is a very small percentage of total production, so that kind of decision makes sense.

But I still think it all comes together just fine and looks great as a whole. Honestly, if it was just like one errant piece, that would be worse. But some things are gold, and some things are silver, and I dig it.

fee453566730a483b5ea5729451e5e88.jpg
81515d78da1ed05bb78905629715b3b0.jpg

Ha, I just noticed my odometer.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those items are standard on all the trucks. Trying to make all of those match each trim, not every truck has every switch/toggle, that would be a nightmare. The cost would be through the roof trying to make sure all those parts match each trim and setup of each truck, as well as making sure you have enough in stock.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Those items are standard on all the trucks. Trying to make all of those match each trim, not every truck has every switch/toggle, that would be a nightmare. The cost would be through the roof trying to make sure all those parts match each trim and setup of each truck, as well as making sure you have enough in stock.

Respectfully disagree - mine was a custom order Longhorn with MSRP of just shy of $73K - it took them weeks to "gather parts for the build" - as someone above mentioned that LH is small percentage of the overall lineup, and if they can have LH specific doors trims, dash trim etc - its not hard to just add the same finish to few other pieces - heck the biggest pieces - shift knob, volume knobs stand out most.

As a manufacturer when you are asking a $73000 premium for product, and as a consumer I am willing to pay that - I wouldnt mind paying a bit more to have a fully matched interior. If one is paying that premium for a luxury brand, they expect service/quality to match it.

Dont get me wrong, I love the truck - its still best in class in everything. It wasnt my observation - like above posters, I didnt even notice it until someone who got in my truck pointed it to me..... Its all good though :)

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree - mine was a custom order Longhorn with MSRP of just shy of $73K - it took them weeks to "gather parts for the build" - as someone above mentioned that LH is small percentage of the overall lineup, and if they can have LH specific doors trims, dash trim etc - its not hard to just add the same finish to few other pieces - heck the biggest pieces - shift knob, volume knobs stand out most.

As a manufacturer when you are asking a $73000 premium for product, and as a consumer I am willing to pay that - I wouldnt mind paying a bit more to have a fully matched interior. If one is paying that premium for a luxury brand, they expect service/quality to match it.

Dont get me wrong, I love the truck - its still best in class in everything. It wasnt my observation - like above posters, I didnt even notice it until someone who got in my truck pointed it to me..... Its all good though :)
I see your point, but this isn't '80's Soviet era, and you ain't in line to buy a Trabant.
As someone mentioned above, there are probably 20 suppliers involved for the interior in the Ram. To have everything color-keyed to the nth detail, well, just is not cost effective.
Back to my opening statement, we are fortunate enough to have a choice, and if it is not to your liking....don't purchase it!

drstein

Reaction score
Ever consider it was intentional ?? Contrast....and considering it was deemed Luxury Car of the year running against a Mercedes S class, well, enough said.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Those materials are also on items that get touched the most. They're made to be durable. If they put fake wood trim on those knobs they'd get worn out so much faster.

highgear2005

Reaction score
1st world problems! I find these threads either entertaining or just stupid. This one is just stupid. Your have a great truck! Enjoy it, and stop worrying about the little things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apexcars

Reaction score

I realize that theses trucks when loaded out with all of the options can get expensive but it is silly to me to keep comparing them to "premium" products and other high end cars. The fact that it is a 4 wheel drive, v-8, crew cab, full size pickup eats up most of that cost. You really aren't going to find that type of vehicle for less than $40,000, So now you are paying an additional $33,000 for all of the upgrades that you have. If you look at cars, a full size 4 door starts at probably $20-25 k. Adding $33,000 on to that only gets you up to $58,000, you aren't going to get much in the way of a premium, full size, 4 door. for that. They are nice trucks but if Mercedes started making a similar product I'm sure it would be well over $100 grand. Just look at the G-Wagon.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
People, I am not complaining or whining about it - as I said it was pointed out to me by someone - however, if I saw it before my purchase I would still order the same truck and I still enjoy it the best.

Just pointing this out for ongoing Quality and Improvement - if its cost effective , maybe they will do it. If they dont, I still love my rig - because its better than anything out there in its class and IMO beats many others outside its class .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't generally mix my metal finishes. But I opted for the Longhorn with that amazing black/saddle interior, and (somehow) it just works. As @LaxDfns15 pointed out, it's advantageous to have stainless "high-touch" controls. But the combination of barn wood and nickle/brass accents add a unique "warmth" to the interior. I think the designers did a great job of balancing the two.

Majortom

Reaction score
I have had my loaded 20 longhorn Ecodiesel for less than a week - its an amazing vehicle overall.

One concern regarding interior -I selected Saddle/Black interior for my longhorn - pleasantly surprised that it has Gold Trim pieces on dash instead of plain steel/silver look. HOWEVER, here is the caveat - while the gold trim on doors, dash looks insanely amazing ...... someone at RAM design didnt think through - and yet the trim accents around the vent grills, transmission shifter knob, volume knob, and bunch of others on the center stack are all silver !!!!

There is high-end gold/champagne trim going on the dash, and then there is bunch of mis-match silver in their ..... Cant Imagine how cheaper it was.
I noticed the same thing a few days after I bought mine too. I first noticed the silver on the overhead console, then the silver vent trim became More obvious to me. That said, if it were *all* gold, it might be too much....??

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing a few days after I bought mine too. I first noticed the silver on the overhead console, then the silver vent trim became More obvious to me. That said, if it were *all* gold, it might be too much....??

Its actually very classy gold/champagne color (im sure you know as you have a LH too) - personally I would have wanted it all one color trim. If RAM went through production of all other trims, door openers, etc in gold - it could easily be expanded to 3 more knobs at least , (still leaving small trims on rear/front parking sensors toggles at bottom of center stack in silver).

I ordered LH without seeing one on the lot - but even if I had seen silver knobs before my order - I would have still ordered the same trim/truck. I love my truck - but I also give constructive feedback when/if possible.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I'm not bothered by it at all. I think they really put together a very attractive interior on this truck. I'm glad the first one I test drove happened to have the longhorn saddle interior, because it really got me a lot more interested in the RAM itself. I don't feel like the silver bits stand out or take away from the gold accents.

I mean, now that you've mentioned it, I can agree that they probably just came from different suppliers that weren't asked to make these parts (stereo knobs, toggle switches, shifter dial, vent trim, start button, etc.) in the presumably longhorn-only color variation for cost savings. I think the Longhorn is a very small percentage of total production, so that kind of decision makes sense.

But I still think it all comes together just fine and looks great as a whole. Honestly, if it was just like one errant piece, that would be worse. But some things are gold, and some things are silver, and I dig it.

fee453566730a483b5ea5729451e5e88.jpg
81515d78da1ed05bb78905629715b3b0.jpg

Ha, I just noticed my odometer.
What a stunningly beautiful interior!!!!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030190 miles.

Narg

Reaction score
There was a video on YouTube a few months ago where a guy had a Laramie that the drivers side doors had the silver window trim on the outside around the window, and the passenger side had black molding. The video has been removed, but it was kind of funny to see that mistake. Your issue may or may not have been intended, but I'd look into it and be happy either way.

Users who are viewing this thread