5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 limited

tomd2657

Reaction score
So 2 days ago I got a 2020 limited with 38k miles

The very next day about 20 minutes after leaving an automatic car wash, I am driving down the road and all of my dash lights come on and the truck went into limp mode. I restarted the truck and all of the lights went away but the check engine light stayed on but it drove fine. About an hour after that when I started it again the check engine light is now off. Anybody have this happen to them before? and what fixed it? I’m really considering just giving the truck back because I have 7 days to return it.

I'm confused. Did this occur 20 minutes after leaving the car wash or the next day? Both can't be true.

The fact that this happened after a car wash makes me suspect water intrusion. Check for cab water leaks. Look specifically in the area of the rear window. Lots of issues with leaks in these trucks. Broken rear window frame, leaking 3rd brake light, sunroof drains, shark fin, cab vents, even issues with seam welds. There are a couple TSB's that were issued for leaking rear window and leaking 3rd brake light.

The very next day about 20 minutes after leaving an automatic car wash, I am driving down the road and all of my dash lights come on and the truck went into limp mode. I restarted the truck and all of the lights went away but the check engine light stayed on but it drove fine. About an hour after that when I started it again the check engine light is now off. Anybody have this happen to them before? and what fixed it? I’m really considering just giving the truck back because I have 7 days to return it.
Bad battery can do that.

I would return the truck. Unless they can diagnose EXACTLY what happened, and "warranty" their work solved that issue.

I'm confused. Did this occur 20 minutes after leaving the car wash or the next day? Both can't be true.
He bought it, the next day he took it to a car wash, and 20 minutes after the car wash he had issues.

@tomd2657 I agree with mike. It sounds like water intrusion. Do you have e-torque? Water coming in the back through the window, third brake light, or shark fin and hitting the e-torque module in the back causes all kinds of problems.

The RF hub is also mounted to the back wall and is vulnerable to water leaks.

Life's short, if they'll take it back, return it!

That could be a 4yr old truck with very little driving and you may have just found out why...

Overall they are amazing trucks (I've had two), just no reason for you to take on someone else's problem truck.

I’m confused too, but for a different reason. Why he had to go through an automatic car wash the day after buying it. I’ve never bought a vehicle without having it detailed before I picked it up.

I’m confused too, but for a different reason. Why he had to go through an automatic car wash the day after buying it. I’ve never bought a vehicle without having it detailed before I picked it up.
Could be any number of reasons. I can’t speak to where the OP lives but cars don’t stay clean very long where I live. And not all dealerships have detailed the cars I’ve bought, especially used vehicles. Maybe he took it off road after buying it. Or maybe they did detail it but did a bad job of it.

Did someone put a new battery in it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back