5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 limited off road edition ideas

jc312

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. Looks like I found the place for all my Ram questions!

I've had this truck almost 2 years now, and really like it! But starting to toy around with the idea of spicing it up with some bigger tires and lifting or at least leveling it. It currently has 20" factory wheels and all stock. It is an off-road edition, so slightly taller than standard height already.

I saw a recent vid of a guy installing a 4" bds lift with 22" wheels and 35s for tires, and it looks really good.

Just curious about how the ride will be affected, potential problems, and possibly cheaper, easier ways to accomplish a similar look.

Watched the video of installing the bds kit and how part of the frame had to be cut. Not crazy about that. Also talked to a local installer who said he wouldn't touch an air ride 1500 due to some module malfunction that required being towed to a Ram dealer for repair 😬 That doesn't sound good at all! And not sure what he's talking about?

Anyway, just wanted to dive right in and see what I might come up with on here. Glad to find this place!

Here's what I'm working with. Thanks for any advice 20230919_184615.jpg

jc312

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back and a little less wet behind the ears 😂

Read through some more threads and now I'm thinking of just adding spacers and level links to level the truck and probably a size or two bigger tires. Like 285s or 305s

I think I'm gonna build my own level links and experiment with different heights. Have found a couple threads showing what ball fittings to order, threaded rod, etc.

Also found 2.5" spacers on ebay for around $40. From what I understand, even if they say, "not for air suspension" they will still work fine as long as you replace the links at the same time to prevent errors or over/under inflation

For example, these spacers. Will they be ok?

I could do all this for around $100 and 2 or 3 hours it looks like. Still need to learn more about disconnecting and reconnecting the air shocks, and if I need any type of extension on the air hose 🤔

Any suggestions appreciated

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read BORA spacers are a good option. I do not use them but that's what I would go with after research.

jc312

Reaction score
I read BORA spacers are a good option. I do not use them but that's what I would go with after research.
Yeah, they look good. It just seems like such a basic part the $50 ones would do the same as the $100 ones. But I know little to nothing about it so far

Also wanted to ask in the OP about UCAs. Are they needed? I've read mixed info on this

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, they look good. It just seems like such a basic part the $50 ones would do the same as the $100 ones. But I know little to nothing about it so far

Also wanted to ask in the OP about UCAs. Are they needed? I've read mixed info on this
If you are not going to off road and you can get a good alignment then you don't have to have uca's. If you are going to off road you will need the travel for articulation. So you'll need aftermarket uca's.

jc312

Reaction score
If you are not going to off road and you can get a good alignment then you don't have to have uca's. If you are going to off road you will need the travel for articulation. So you'll need aftermarket uca's.
Thank you for the info. I do very little off-road....but. when you need it, you need it! I suppose

Could you elaborate on what exactly would or wouldn't happen in an off-road situation with stock arms? Do they limit the travel, I assume?
Limit extension or compression?

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I do very little off-road....but. when you need it, you need it! I suppose

Could you elaborate on what exactly would or wouldn't happen in an off-road situation with stock arms? Do they limit the travel, I assume?
Well for starts, when you lift/level and add bigger tires they may rub.
Then anything 2" or more, your changing the geometry of the truck and the way the suspension "sits". The UCAs will compensate for the lift/level and bigger tires so it "maintains the geometry and Keeps your upper ball joint in proper alignment with the new bigger tire. Just do it. You’ll only regret it if you don’t. Not only that the UCAs are fairly cheapy from factory.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes. They limit drop. This puts stress on the components since they cannot travel the full distance they need to because of the preload on coilover, or the additional length of the strut due to the spacer if that is used.

Users who are viewing this thread