5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Limited Night Edition new owner new to Dodge RAM

davidbwi

Reaction score
Trading in my Honda Odyssey for a 2020 Limited Night Edition with the regular 5.7, limited eq gr 1, power running boards, 22" wheels, sport hood, air suspension, and cover/spray in bedliner.

Really excited to take delivery tomorrow. Any tips or advice for a new owner? I am new to RAMs.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trading in my Honda Odyssey for a 2020 Limited Night Edition with the regular 5.7, limited eq gr 1, power running boards, 22" wheels, sport hood, air suspension, and cover/spray in bedliner.
Really excited to take delivery tomorrow. Any tips or advice for a new owner? I am new to RAMs.

Congrats! You'll love the truck.

Dumb question probably... do you mean a 2021 Limited Night Edition?
The 2020 Limited didn't have a Night Edition, it was called the "Black Appearance Group." Pretty much identical package, they just changed the name for 2021.

Do some research here on the forum. When they deliver it, inspect it thoroughly. Most trucks are great, but sometimes there are quality control issues that can be caught right away and addressed. Will save you potential future visits to the dealership.
I'd recommend an oil catch can when she's brand new, keep that engine/intake clean. If you plan to tow anything, the Hellwig say bar (rear) is a nice upgrade. I don't tow often at all, but I still have the bar on my short list for future upgrades.

EDIT: Also, I'd recommend throwing some good weather stripping onto the 3rd brake light (replace the foam stripping from the factory). Prevents leaks. All of the truck makers seem to have a few issues with that now and then, and Ram is no exception.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dumb question probably... do you mean a 2021 Limited Night Edition?
The 2020 Limited didn't have a Night Edition, it was called the "Black Appearance Group." Pretty much identical package, they just changed the name for 2021.
Actually, the Night Edition on the 2021 models is not the same package as the Black Appearance Group on the 2020 models. You could only get the Black Appearance Group on a black truck. But with the Night Edition for 2021 you can have that with black, granite crystal, silver, or either of the white colors. Doesn't look like you can get it for patriot blue, delmonico red, or max steel. I've noticed the online configurator keeps changing, but right now that's what it's showing. The main appeal of the new Night Edition package for me was that you didn't have to buy a black truck to get that package. I love black trucks, but not how much work it is to keep them clean and looking good LOL.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, the Night Edition on the 2021 models is not the same package as the Black Appearance Group on the 2020 models. You could only get the Black Appearance Group on a black truck. But with the Night Edition for 2021 you can have that with black, granite crystal, silver, or either of the white colors. Doesn't look like you can get it for patriot blue, delmonico red, or max steel. I've noticed the online configurator keeps changing, but right now that's what it's showing. The main appeal of the new Night Edition package for me was that you didn't have to buy a black truck to get that package. I love black trucks, but not how much work it is to keep them clean and looking good LOL.

Thank you for the correction! You are right, it is the same package/options except you can get it on other colors besides black.

U

User_3336

Not sure I'd like 22's on a truck. Potential for a rough ride.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure I'd like 22's on a truck. Potential for a rough ride.
It doesn't ride rough at all. There's still a decent amount of sidewall. I have the exact same truck with EcoDiesel

It doesn't ride rough. I had the 22s for approximately 300-400 miles before I replaced them. Rode quite well. I feel my 18" rims ride better, but the 22s were definitely not rough.

NightRAM

Reaction score
my 22's are smooth. I'm never going to need to go off-roading, that's why I chose them on my Laramie. It was either this or an SUV, which I consider a "concept minivan".

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
These trucks ride smooth on 22's. We had them on our Limited. The problem for us was when the road isn't in good repair, the 22's don't absorb the bumps in the road surface very well. And like a lot of places, we have a combination of smooth roads and not so smooth roads. So we decided to get aftermarket 20 inch wheels and tires for that truck. Our Laramie came with 20's so we're sticking with stock on that truck. We're happy with the ride on both trucks with 20's. If we would be taking either truck off-road we'd go with 18's.

Swag1981

Reaction score
The night edition wheels are satin finish, where as the black appearance are gloss finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitta

Reaction score
Question - did you get the multi-function tailgate? I understand you can get the Night Edition with the MFT and/or Ramboxes and it doesn't create an exclusion for the tonneau cover. I'm just wondering if the factory cover performs as good/better that some of the aftermarket ones in regard to protection at the split in the MFT.

Bassinb

Reaction score
Question - did you get the multi-function tailgate? I understand you can get the Night Edition with the MFT and/or Ramboxes and it doesn't create an exclusion for the tonneau cover. I'm just wondering if the factory cover performs as good/better that some of the aftermarket ones in regard to protection at the split in the MFT.
I have a 2020 limited black appearance with MFT and Ramboxes and bed utility group. It came with a tonneau and the divider and bed step. The tonneau is pretty good quality in my opinion, and I like that it is easy to remove all together. It does however leave a 1/2-3/4" gap on the rear bed corners where it meets the MFT. Hasn't been a big deal to me, but it would likely be easy to seal up with some weatherstripping.

baccigalup

Reaction score
I have a 2020 limited black appearance with MFT and Ramboxes and bed utility group. It came with a tonneau and the divider and bed step. The tonneau is pretty good quality in my opinion, and I like that it is easy to remove all together. It does however leave a 1/2-3/4" gap on the rear bed corners where it meets the MFT. Hasn't been a big deal to me, but it would likely be easy to seal up with some weatherstripping.
So you are basically saying its not waterproof?

baccigalup

Reaction score
Correct. Water can get in through the small gaps in the rear corners.
Thanks for the info....i am ordering my ram tomorrow with mft and rambox and options are slim to none but an 1800 dollqr retrax...i was thinking of doing the factory one but you helped me decide against it.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So was this just a Canadian thing ? This is a 2019 Limited with the black appearance package . 275560EB-2B44-43B3-9641-C859757EEFDC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread