5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 etorque slight surging cold start

Bigga826

Reaction score
Hey everyone, anyone else have slight surging on cold start when its muggy out?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
None that I've seen

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Burnzie

Reaction score
I use the remote start on mine , but when it gets muggy here again I will get back to you, maybe 6 months or so.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah, my truck surges every morning when I’m off to work when the truck is cold. There’s a TSB and updates to supposedly fix, but I have not seen an improvement. It’s like the etorque system is applying you much resistance to the motor and then it releases and the truck surges forward with constant throttle applied.

Another analogy - taking off from a stop with a parachute attached and then it releases somewhere around 3rd gear/40MPH.

I only experience this during the first accel of the day and then when I’m heading home from work after the truck is cold again. Very frustrating. Not sure if this is what OP is experiencing or not...

jeffauclair

Reaction score
mines on idle do that sometimes too. not really surging but more like if it had rattle or something like that. i know we have poor gas quality here but i know if I go to dealer they will say everything is fine so

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Normally no more than a couple minutes, but occasionally I let it warm up a little longer.
Hmm yea I usually let mine warm up for 2-3 minutes before I drive too.
There is one thing that comes to mind...my 2011 Charger RT had an issue where about 4 or 5 seconds after I started it up ..the RPMs would surge a little to about 2500 or so plus some slightly rough idling....new Iridium sparks plugs cured both issues. Idk if that's similar to what you're experiencing but that's the closest I can get to relating lol.

zlman

Reaction score
Mine has some hesitation/ surge when first driving after a long sit. I asked the same question here months back, found many others with the same issue. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't seem to affect performance after a short time of driving.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s ironic how we have come full circle...new technology with the fuel injected engines but still have the same characteristics of my ancient 1987 Dodge Ram 1500 360 cu. in. engine. It needed to be warmed up before driving in order to be smooth without hesitation or surging.

Users who are viewing this thread