5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Door Jamb Rust

Trich_Rebel

Reaction score
2020 RAM 1500 Rebel.
Special ordered, manufactured and delivered in February 2020.
Truck is in south Louisiana.
Never been in high water.
Never been around salted roads.
Only wipe door jambs with microfiber towel with water on it.

I just noticed this on the rear passenger side door jamb. No sign of rust or markings on any other door jambs.
Everyone take a look at your door jambs really well and check for any signs of this.
I honestly don't know what step to take with this and even though I haven't been to the dealership yet, I'm sure all they'll do is scuff these spots out and send me on my way.
Does anyone have experience with this? The truck is only 7 months old and I feel this is unacceptable.
Is it fixable? Yes
Can I fix it? Yes
Should I have to? NO.
I didn't think rust would be an issue this early on. I understand this is only surface rust at this point, but this early on isn't a good sign.
What approach should I take?
IMG-2792.jpg

IMG-2793.jpg

IMG-2794.jpg

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That could just be railroad dust if the truck was shipped on a train Get car pro Ironx and spray it. If it melts away then it was just iron particles that settled on top of paint. No biggie Happens all them time when driving over railroad crossings etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could also be from your brake rotors

Trich_Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far.
This may not be as bad as I'm thinking it is, but after just finding it this morning I wasn't happy and didn't know what to think of it.
It's good to get to hear others opinions and thoughts on it that I may have never thought of myself.
I can clean this up myself, I just wasn't sure if I needed to get the dealership involved first before I touched it.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far.
This may not be as bad as I'm thinking it is, but after just finding it this morning I wasn't happy and didn't know what to think of it.
It's good to get to hear others opinions and thoughts on it that I may have never thought of myself.
I can clean this up myself, I just wasn't sure if I needed to get the dealership involved first before I touched it.

Nah, it’s a white truck It’s a new normal for you and the tiny rusty flecks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WW2

Reaction score
Buff it out and see whats underneath..then you will know for sure

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had something similar on my previous truck, which was white. Clay bar took care of the problem, and it never came back.

Paultg

Reaction score
I had something similar on my previous truck, which was white. Clay bar took care of the problem, and it never came back.
I had a similar problem on a silver car years ago. First time I used clay bar. Worked awesome. It’s was just metal deposits in the clear coat.

thebluegoat

Reaction score
Looks like grit got on the rubber door seal and is now rubbing thorough the paint on the door jamb. I have the same on my 4th gen but the seal that goes up the back of the rear door does it.

Zig10

Reaction score
My last 3 SUVs have all been white, and all of them got spots that look like rust on the tailgate. It's something environmental, because either rubbing compound or Clay bar has removed it. Haven't seen it on my white Ram yet, but I assume it is just a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread