5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Bighorn Engine knock seized

Frankie122883

Reaction score
2020 Ram with hemi. 56000 miles, changed oil every 5000 miles. Only used Mobil one. I never beat on it or abused it at all. Cruising at about 75mph on flat ground and started to flash the engine light. Definitely had a misfire. Had reduced power and making a knocking noise from engine and popping through the intake or exhaust. I could not tell while it was so sudden . I pull over and the truck put itself in park , parking brake on and shut itself down. Popped the hood, everything looked good , check oil ,was good. I looked underneath to see if a rod blew through somewhere and nothing. I tried to Start it back up. It turned over and with a bit of throttle started up but popping and knocking. I released the throttle and she died. Wouldn't turn over again at all. Towed it to the dealer and still waiting for a response on what the heck happened. I don't understand what could have happened

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sound symptomatic of a broken timing chain. The misfire and popping was due to the engine being out of time. The knocking was due to parts colliding that would not collide in a normally timed engine. Valves colliding with pistons and probably spun main bearings.

Frankie122883

Reaction score
Sound symptomatic of a broken timing chain. The misfire and popping was due to the engine being out of time. The knocking was due to parts colliding that would not collide in a normally timed engine. Valves colliding with pistons and probably spun main bearings.
I was driving about 1/2 mile before I was able to pull over and it was running,but knocking , missing and popping. I wonder if she swallowed a valve. No signs of anything wrong before. Smooth and quiet then misfire and popping out of nowhere. I hope the dealer doesn't try to screw me. I changed my own oil every 5000 . I have my book with dates and my receipts from the oil I bought.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who knows could be so many things, valve, valve spring, rocker arm, rod.... being a 2020 should be under warranty.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 Ram with hemi. 56000 miles, changed oil every 5000 miles. Only used Mobil one. I never beat on it or abused it at all. Cruising at about 75mph on flat ground and started to flash the engine light. Definitely had a misfire. Had reduced power and making a knocking noise from engine and popping through the intake or exhaust. I could not tell while it was so sudden . I pull over and the truck put itself in park , parking brake on and shut itself down. Popped the hood, everything looked good , check oil ,was good. I looked underneath to see if a rod blew through somewhere and nothing. I tried to Start it back up. It turned over and with a bit of throttle started up but popping and knocking. I released the throttle and she died. Wouldn't turn over again at all. Towed it to the dealer and still waiting for a response on what the heck happened. I don't understand what could have happened

Broken valve spring or springs.
If it would turn over and run with a little throttle input, the engine isn't seized. What it sounds like by your description is one or more broken valve springs, especially the backfiring through the intake.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2003 did the same thing you describe, drove perfectly normal then suddenly developed a misfire that I could feel and would shut off at a light or with no throttle input.
I was about a mile from home and thought it was a fuel pump going out or a TPS problem as it causes a similar symptoms.
I limped it home then checked fuel pressure which showed good; I tried to restart it then boom. I had the hood up and saw flames come out the side and rear of the intake.

Trying to restart it with what turned out to be a broken intake spring, caused the intake to explode; intake valve was hanging open, fuel was in the intake port and as soon as the spark plug fired the fuel and air ignited in the intake port and back up into the intake and exploded the intake manifold.

That's the backfiring you were hearing, had your engine not been running when you heard the backfires, this would have likely happened to you as well; your running engine sucked the flames and explosive force into other cylinders and you avoided damage.

77450b2cb5324765afe587a42fd5247f (1).jpeg

05f1fbef17404ecd858c55fe8c3ad874.jpeg

6c0d7eac1d3b4e78b150c59babc5da04.jpeg

After pulling the valve covers, I discovered this on the passenger side #8 cylinder

48f4876435f540b4bb8803ff5c391125.jpeg

3f60989b5c8a4d109c02abec7ef5504f.jpeg

Luckily it broke in a way that it didn't completely drop the valve and destroy the engine. Id bet you this is what they find @Frankie122883

Users who are viewing this thread