5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Big Horn - Ridiculous they still are leaking

Chuck19

Reaction score
So what’s the deal here? How come some are having issues and some aren’t? They are using the same components in all the trucks or different ones for different assembly plants? Are they skipping a step on some trucks? I don’t understand why it’s such a random issue. I haven’t had any of these issues and am wondering what did they do to mine that they didn’t do to the people that are having issues?

kernelhappy

Reaction score
This is going to sound insane, but after 8 months of being disappointed in the stereo in my 2019 Laramie Crew Cab I found out that the Alpine stereo has a subwoofer (I swear I always thought it just had larger door speakers that's why the bass disappears once you get a little louder).

This morning I was in the back seat looking to confirm if the sub was in fact there and working my first thought was "omg how the hell did someone get my headliner dirty, there's barely anyone even been back here." My second thought was being disappointed to see rust on the back of the rear passenger seat frame. I thought it was really odd that any interior component would be rusted on a truck that's only 8 months old.

Fast forward to this evening and as I was flipping through the forum looking for info on replacing the factory sub I stumbled on this thread. The "dirt" on the headliner is a horizontal line just about midway high at the rear headliner speakers. My guess is that the line is a water mark and the rust on the seat frame is from this very problem.

I have three questions:
  1. I want to confirm that what I'm seeing is the leak. Does this leak happen when standing still or do I have to drive in the rain to get it to happen?
  2. Is FCA replacing the components that get damaged from this leak or am I in for a knock down drag out fight to get stuff corrected properly
  3. What does the service builtin say the correct fix for this is. I really don't want to RTV something and not be able to change the bulb and/or have to fight and re-rtv it down the line when the bulb dies.

Chuck19

Reaction score
This is going to sound insane, but after 8 months of being disappointed in the stereo in my 2019 Laramie Crew Cab I found out that the Alpine stereo has a subwoofer (I swear I always thought it just had larger door speakers that's why the bass disappears once you get a little louder).

This morning I was in the back seat looking to confirm if the sub was in fact there and working my first thought was "omg how the hell did someone get my headliner dirty, there's barely anyone even been back here." My second thought was being disappointed to see rust on the back of the rear passenger seat frame. I thought it was really odd that any interior component would be rusted on a truck that's only 8 months old.

Fast forward to this evening and as I was flipping through the forum looking for info on replacing the factory sub I stumbled on this thread. The "dirt" on the headliner is a horizontal line just about midway high at the rear headliner speakers. My guess is that the line is a water mark and the rust on the seat frame is from this very problem.

I have three questions:
  1. I want to confirm that what I'm seeing is the leak. Does this leak happen when standing still or do I have to drive in the rain to get it to happen?
  2. Is FCA replacing the components that get damaged from this leak or am I in for a knock down drag out fight to get stuff corrected properly
  3. What does the service builtin say the correct fix for this is. I really don't want to RTV something and not be able to change the bulb and/or have to fight and re-rtv it down the line when the bulb dies.
Post a pic of the stain

RamLink83

Reaction score
So what’s the deal here? How come some are having issues and some aren’t? They are using the same components in all the trucks or different ones for different assembly plants? Are they skipping a step on some trucks? I don’t understand why it’s such a random issue. I haven’t had any of these issues and am wondering what did they do to mine that they didn’t do to the people that are having issues?
I'm wondering if it has something to do how the 3rd brake light is tightened. I think it needs to be tightened from the middle first before tightening the outside screws in order to get the gasket to fully compress. My light gasket was not as compressed in the middle as it was at the ends. By tightening the outside screws first, it probably bows the light and doesn't allow the middle to be fully tightened to get a good seal with the crappy gasket material they use. Mine was leaking from the 3rd brake light and if you pushed on it from the middle, water would squeeze out of the gasket in the middle.

kernelhappy

Reaction score
Post a pic of the stain

I went and looked and it's definitely a water stain at the third brake light. It's not between the speakers, it's between the airbag logo/covers.

I'm seriously bummed out about this. Now I guess I have to worry about how FCA will address this, if the airbags are damaged from the water and I guess I'll be in for a uphill battle if I don't want to forever live with rusty seat frames thanks to the water.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_174609.jpg
    IMG_20200601_174609.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200601_174612.jpg
    IMG_20200601_174612.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20200601_174235.jpg
    IMG_20200601_174235.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 134

aevus

Reaction score
My 2019 had to go to the dealership 3 times. Two brand new windows after (and I'm guessing a crapload of silicone) and my truck stopped leaking. This fix is not acceptable and I'm sure that if I was to remove the third brake light, I'd see the wonderful silicone job that the tech did. I feel that a class-action is necessary at this point, plus who knows if the interior trim of the rear window will crack again...it seems that it cracks no matter what.

RamLink83

Reaction score
So it was confirmed at the dealer today that my leak was from the 3rd brake light. They used black rtv to seal it, but not sure how much I like that fix. I would have preferred a new rubber seal that many of the people on here got at lowes and did the fix themselves. Now it will be hard for me to do any bulb changes myself if any ever burn out. But I guess at the end of the day if it stops the leak, it is better than before.
So about 2 months later it sprung a leak again. Very tiny drop hanging from the top trim near the middle. Truck has sat outside in very heavy rain prior to this but today was the first time driving in a heavy rain since the"fix". I'm thinking it's still the 3rd brake light and driving had a factor in it finally leaking after 2 months since the rain is pushed to the rear from driving. When just parked in the driveway it leans to the front due to a slight incline so water runs off the front of the roof.

Gotta call the dealer and see what they say but I'm going to push for a new light assembly since this has rtv on it and then tell them I want the factory seal removed from the new light and replaced by the seal people have used from Lowe's.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So about 2 months later it sprung a leak again. Very tiny drop hanging from the top trim near the middle. Truck has sat outside in very heavy rain prior to this but today was the first time driving in a heavy rain since the"fix". I'm thinking it's still the 3rd brake light and driving had a factor in it finally leaking after 2 months since the rain is pushed to the rear from driving. When just parked in the driveway it leans to the front due to a slight incline so water runs off the front of the roof.

Gotta call the dealer and see what they say but I'm going to push for a new light assembly since this has rtv on it and then tell them I want the factory seal removed from the new light and replaced by the seal people have used from Lowe's.

Good luck getting the dealer to remove the factory seal and replace it. Especially with a part from Lowe’s. FCA won’t cover anything like that so the chances of the dealer doing it is very slim. Just have the light replaced, then YOU get the gasket from Lowe’s and do it yourself.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Good luck getting the dealer to remove the factory seal and replace it. Especially with a part from Lowe’s. FCA won’t cover anything like that so the chances of the dealer doing it is very slim. Just have the light replaced, then YOU get the gasket from Lowe’s and do it yourself.
Yeah, I have a feeling it will be a battle to get them to put a new gasket on, but will definitely push for a new light assembly.

eproulx38

Reaction score
3 months old and already leaking. Guess I join the club of leaky trucks. Screenshot_20200804-154327_Gallery.jpg

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Toyota tundra looks pretty inviting right now. Who cares if it's 12 years old! At least it's proven to work and be reliable!
Its no way in hell i would pay what they want for that tundra based off what your getting...that truck is old *** **** period its not enough reliable in that truck to make me pay that price..Also, reliable i think we have become so use to saying it that we actually believe it...tundra is ranked 4.5 ram is ranked 4 oh wow thats such a huge gap let me tell ya...smh people keep saying this but once they look at the data then its silence...

marcus aurelius

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 online and when I got it I noticed the water stain on the headliner. There were also several deep scratches on the black facing around the light. I thought it looked as though someone had tried to break in the vehicle but now I at least I know where the water stain came from. Anyone ever seen the black trim around the light replaced or should it be repainted?

LV426

Reaction score
Wow, I feel for you guys.... I was replacing the stock bulbs in the 3rd BL last week and when I removed it I was surprised by the weak, grey foam gasket used. To me, I thought is should have been a more HD rubber type material but what do I know... Anyway, I made it a point of wiping down the surface and then wiping down the "gasket" with some rubber care cleaner, we had a heavy rain and no leak. I wonder if the light housings are warped or tightened down to much to one side?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score

I have three questions:

The dealer here replaced the gaskets, the shark fin, and the third brake light citing "leaking from slight warping". They did not replace my headliner, they sent it out to a detail company to have it cleaned. Since the headliner was on back order with no ETA and the job was done quite well, I'm happy with the results.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine was locked down at the stealer for 9 weeks gave me loaner

I took it in this morning, they had to order the 3rd brake light. They say it's on back order and have no ETA on the part. So in the meantime I have 2 choices: drive it around uncovered and leaking or cover it with plastic and drive around in a 55K truck with plastic taped over the 3rd brake light. This is beyond ridiculous. Dealership is telling me they have no idea how long it will take. I'm tempted to drive it around uncovered and let it ruin the headliner, back seat, etc and have all of it replaced. Although, just my luck those parts will be on "backorder" too.

JBV

Reaction score
wow. so when my factory order arrives, should i just start out by putting a bead of lexel, or sikaflex around the back window, shark fin, and brake light right off the hop?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow. so when my factory order arrives, should i just start out by putting a bead of lexel, or sikaflex around the back window, shark fin, and brake light right off the hop?
I am going to replace the 3rd brake light gasket when my Limited order comes in (ordered today), first week. I preemptively replaced it on my current Laramie.

JBV

Reaction score
how are you going to do so? do you have some improved gaskets that fit? is there an online store with premium OEM fitment gaskets for Ram trucks to address these leakage issues?

Users who are viewing this thread