5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Big Horn - Ridiculous they still are leaking

RamLink83

Reaction score
Black RTV is that a FCA fix or the dealers fix? If that is the best FCA can do that is not acceptable, if a temp fix by the dealer I can somewhat understand to stop further damage until a permanent fix is figured out. Did they put a bead where the gasket should be, or did they attemp to seal it once the brake light housing was put back in?
Not sure who decided the method of fixing. Bead was put on where the gasket is and then the brake light was reinstalled.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Every truck I’ve had for the last however many years, Ford and Ram, I’ve put clear sealant around the third brake light as they’ve all has leaking issues. It’s just easier to me to deal with it myself.

natron!

Reaction score
This is the third time my truck is in the shop for the leaking third brake light. First time they used the RTV. The next time it leaked they replaced the brake light assembly. And now they are replacing the screws that hold the brake light. That is supposed to stop the leaking. You can't make this **** up!

RamLink83

Reaction score
This is the third time my truck is in the shop for the leaking third brake light. First time they used the RTV. The next time it leaked they replaced the brake light assembly. And now they are replacing the screws that hold the brake light. That is supposed to stop the leaking. You can't make this **** up!
Are they sure it's actually the brake light? Maybe it's the shark fin?

Benji80

Reaction score
Could also be the rear window. Mine was leaking. At first they thought it was the brake light. Turned out to be the window. Had to get the entire window replaced

natron!

Reaction score
Pretty sure they checked the shark fin the first time i was in. This time the service manager said it couldn't be the rear window because there was no crack. i am so frustrated.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Pretty sure they checked the shark fin the first time i was in. This time the service manager said it couldn't be the rear window because there was no crack. i am so frustrated.
Sounds like you can pursue lemon law pretty soon.

Benji80

Reaction score
Sounds like you can pursue lemon law pretty soon.
M
ine didn't have a crack. It was leaking through the track in the window frame. The seal was bad

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is absolutely insane.
This model is over two years old now. No excuse for this to still be happening (or the pis$ poor QC).

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been an issue since 2009, nothing new. I have a friend that use to be a SA at my dealer when I called him about my 2013 leaking, he told me this is THE most common problem they have, fixed on a TSB IIRC...that was in 2014. One of the first things I did when I got my truck was to RTV the shark fin, add LED to the 3rd brake and cargo, when I took the assembly off, it took very little effort to turn the screws, when I put it back on, I tightened them fully and evenly doing the center to outside in a few increments, but not overly tight (can crack the housing). I haven't had any leaks (knock on wood), even when my rear window surround was cracked, never leaked.

I have a new one on order that I had paint tinted and will see what gasket it comes with and if it's the porous sponge that is on them now, I'll remove that and put my own weather stripping on it and smear clear RTV on the outer surface and install the new light in the same fashion I did above.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

RamLink83

Reaction score
This has been an issue since 2009, nothing new. I have a friend that use to be a SA at my dealer when I called him about my 2013 leaking, he told me this is THE most common problem they have, fixed on a TSB IIRC...that was in 2014. One of the first things I did when I got my truck was to RTV the shark fin, add LED to the 3rd brake and cargo, when I took the assembly off, it took very little effort to turn the screws, when I put it back on, I tightened them fully and evenly doing the center to outside in a few increments, but not overly tight (can crack the housing). I haven't had any leaks (knock on wood), even when my rear window surround was cracked, never leaked.

I have a new one on order that I had paint tinted and will see what gasket it comes with and if it's the porous sponge that is on them now, I'll remove that and put my own weather stripping on it and smear clear RTV on the outer surface and install the new light in the same fashion I did above.

View attachment 56812
Funny you mention the tighten from center to outside. I'm wondering if they do it the opposite at the factory, because I noticed on my leaking third brake light that the outside weather stripping was more compressed than the center. More than likely mine was leaking in the center area where it wasn't compressed as hard.

pitboss000

Reaction score
Could also be the rear window. Mine was leaking. At first they thought it was the brake light. Turned out to be the window. Had to get the entire window replaced
Put me down for new glass as well. How was your experience? Any problems with the work?

Benji80

Reaction score
Put me down for new glass as well. How was your experience? Any problems with the work?
It fixed the leak...completely dry now but they didn't put the rear seat back together right so now every time I hit a bump there's a loud rattling.

highgear2005

Reaction score
All brands leak, check the GM and ford sites. I owned a leaky f150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
Fortunately my truck has been flawless, but I feel for those that are having these issues. I hope FCA finds a fix and takes care of everyone that is having a problem. Leaking vehicles in 2020 is completely unacceptable.
Same here.. other than an intermittant steering wheel heat (dealer replaced the entire wheel without hassle, even paid for my uber to work).. my 1500 has been fantastic.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Every truck I’ve had for the last however many years, Ford and Ram, I’ve put clear sealant around the third brake light as they’ve all has leaking issues. It’s just easier to me to deal with it myself.
That may not be what should be required but it makes sense!

Boston

Reaction score
Ram may not make the light but quality control will make or break the brand

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my 4th truck and the first with a leaking brake light. I had it replaced twice and it seems to be holding so far this time. Lots have heavy rain the past few weeks and trucks has been dry.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made my own gasket and still had a very small leak. Took the screws out and there was water on the threads. Reinstalled the screws with silicone on them and so far it’s dry.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is my 4th truck and the first with a leaking brake light. I had it replaced twice and it seems to be holding so far this time. Lots have heavy rain the past few weeks and trucks has been dry.
I’d like to check ours but it has to get out of the garage first...

Users who are viewing this thread