5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Big Horn headlight swap help

gpd857

Reaction score
Hey folks, new to the forum and I’ve been searching through them but haven’t seem to found a concrete answer (or more than likely, I’m just an idiot and missed it haha) Just bought my first Ram. It’s a 2020 Big Horn and I’m wanting to switch the Halogen front exterior lights to LEDs. Is it possible to just buy LED bulbs (and adjust the hi/low beams to not get flashed) or do I need to switch the whole assembly? Also if I can just switch bulbs, which ones do you recommend? Also, on the same note, if I have to switch the assembly, will these work? Thanks for helpin this noob!

https://www.carid.com/spyder/chrome...fled-c.html?singleid=3722767355&url=128478675

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not saying either way whether I think those are quality or not, but thise are probably the cheapest way to get LED headlights that I’ve seen so far.

As for cheaper alternatives- I don’t personally think LED drop-in bulbs are a good option due to the reflector shape in the stock bighorn headlights.

NRitland2

Reaction score

GrinchKing05

Reaction score
I replaced all the halogen lights in my bighorn with LED bulbs from Lasfit. They are extremely bright and have worked well so far. I do think the light tends to scatter some as the housing isn’t built for LEDs. But that’s the cheapest route to get quality and adequate lighting. I couldn’t justify spending 1k plus in exchanging the entire headlight. I also made Lasfit send 4 separate wiring modules that help with flickering. Noticed it when the volume is cranked up (base sound system. I still need to adjust my lights as I’ve had several flash their brights.
Also I looked at our state DOT website and the only headlight law we have is regarding use of colored headlights other than white. Maybe other states have laws against changing out original headlight bulbs?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced all the halogen lights in my bighorn with LED bulbs from Lasfit. They are extremely bright and have worked well so far. I do think the light tends to scatter some as the housing isn’t built for LEDs. But that’s the cheapest route to get quality and adequate lighting. I couldn’t justify spending 1k plus in exchanging the entire headlight. I also made Lasfit send 4 separate wiring modules that help with flickering. Noticed it when the volume is cranked up (base sound system. I still need to adjust my lights as I’ve had several flash their brights.
Also I looked at our state DOT website and the only headlight law we have is regarding use of colored headlights other than white. Maybe other states have laws against changing out original headlight bulbs?
With how many different kinds of lights there are now and all the different Kelvin ratings, chances are no one is going to mess with you if you’re not above 6000k or below 3500(ish)k. It’s not like when they were only halogens and they were all pretty much the same 3500k or so.

The problem will come in if you have a bad accident and lawyers get involved. If somebody claims that your headlights blinded them and they are immobilized now, your non-DOT legal light bulbs could be a case against you. Of course, someone would have to catch them being on the truck when it’s inspected by a claims adjuster, or a note made that you had those bulbs by a body shop.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
LEDs in a halogen housing blind other drivers on the road due to light scatter. The lighting output will be great for you and crappy for everyone else. Something to consider.

U

User_34235

I put in a pair of Lasfit bulbs and they are BRIGHT....but they come at a cost. Last night alone I was flashed 5 times. Mind you my bulbs are not set at the right positions so doing that will reduce your issue but from what I have seen on here, the LED bulbs in a reflector housing is not a great fit.....with a few exceptions.

gpd857

Reaction score
LEDs in a halogen housing blind other drivers on the road due to light scatter. The lighting output will be great for you and crappy for everyone else. Something to consider.
I appreciate that suggestion! That was one of my concerns and figured that would be the case if I kept the halogen housing but thanks for confirming that. Looks like I’ll either have to get used to the halogens or shell out $1k to complete the switch….

gpd857

Reaction score
I put in a pair of Lasfit bulbs and they are BRIGHT....but they come at a cost. Last night alone I was flashed 5 times. Mind you my bulbs are not set at the right positions so doing that will reduce your issue but from what I have seen on here, the LED bulbs in a reflector housing is not a great fit.....with a few exceptions.
Yeah that’s what I was afraid of…guess I’ll just get used to the halogens unless something better comes along cause there’s no way I can afford to throw $1k for new housings. I appreciate the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread