5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 1500 Rack an pinion farting?

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
. Same as the threads ive seen on here Turning right low speed 5-10mph, 45 degree angle. Sometimes it's a longer farting zip tie noise. Sometimes it's this. No other symptoms. No vibration 2nd set of brand new tires. Checked for rubbing. Alignments good. So rack an pinion? I have the maxim extended warranty. I just purchased it on the 7th of Sept. Seeing as I just got the truck in July. Think they will still cover the repairs? To be completely honest. I heard it on the 14th of Sept for the first time. I had the truck at the dealer right after they test drove and didn't hear it. They was looking looking for a vibration issue due to tires. That was fixed with a new set. They didn't hear this noise then because they wasn't lookin for it.

BlkLimited22s

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and it does this randomly when turning and applying light brakes. To me it feels like the ABS kicking in slightly but its random enough that I dont want to waste the time with the dealer. I have Limited with Rebel wheels for winter and WeatherTech mud flaps. This combo in ECO Level on Air Ride will rub in reverse when turning the wheel to Lock (aka backing into a driveway).

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and it does this randomly when turning and applying light brakes. To me it feels like the ABS kicking in slightly but its random enough that I dont want to waste the time with the dealer. I have Limited with Rebel wheels for winter and WeatherTech mud flaps. This combo in ECO Level on Air Ride will rub in reverse when turning the wheel to Lock (aka backing into a driveway).

It's either this or the rack an pinion is just starting to fail. I managed to find a few videos on YouTube where it's the same noise just they can do it on demand. So idk. I got an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. So I'll find out. They did tell me it'll probably not be under warranty. So I'm sure the bill is gonna be ridiculous.

BlkLimited22s

Reaction score
Mine is going on 5 years of making this noise (Dec 2018 Delivery). Its maybe once or twice a week making a right turn slowing down from ~35mph to 10-15 mph. I'm aware of the TSB coming out a few years ago but was not worth the time/effort of dealership trip but I was a mid-level Dodge mechanic when I was younger. I didn't want some kid messing around and throwing parts at the truck for something that is difficult to reproduce on a consistent bases.

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
Mine is going on 5 years of making this noise (Dec 2018 Delivery). Its maybe once or twice a week making a right turn slowing down from ~35mph to 10-15 mph. I'm aware of the TSB coming out a few years ago but was not worth the time/effort of dealership trip but I was a mid-level Dodge mechanic when I was younger. I didn't want some kid messing around and throwing parts at the truck for something that is difficult to reproduce on a consistent bases.
Fair enough I think you might have convinced me to just not go. I can only make it do it on one specific road and only after driving for a couple hours. So sounds like we are in the same boat. Thanks friend.

Users who are viewing this thread