5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 vs 2020

fldude00

Reaction score
I am looking to get a new (to me) truck. I have seen a lot of complaints about the lag in the 2019 system. Is it the identical system in 2020 (i.e. same lag)? Did the software update take care of it?

Side note: It's concerning looking at these forums sometimes as its usually all about problems, I think it's still a great truck. I'll need to get a lot of miles out of it.

Thank you for your input and expertise.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There have been many updates to these systems. I presume you’re asking about the 12” UConnect. Mine has operated fine since delivery (September 2018).

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new (to me) truck. I have seen a lot of complaints about the lag in the 2019 system. Is it the identical system in 2020 (i.e. same lag)? Did the software update take care of it?

Side note: It's concerning looking at these forums sometimes as its usually all about problems, I think it's still a great truck. I'll need to get a lot of miles out of it.

I suggest you go try one. Mine works flawlessly and I have no lag.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Take things with a grain of salt.

There are probably about 1M or so 2019 and 2020 RAM 1500s running around. The forums tend to bring the gripes and complaints but if you look at the overall picture that's an incredibly small percentage of DT owners.

Every time I bring my truck in for something they tell me that I'm the first one to complain about it even though there's 4 pages of people ranting about it on this forum.

If it was a serious problem and FCA was hemorrhaging money because of it then it gets addressed in future trucks. They meet industry standards which is not always personal standards.

There are plenty of things people complain about the DT (A/C, brakes, lighting, rear window cracks, CHSML leaks, etc.) but realize that people are doing that on other forums (Ford, GM, etc.) about their trucks too. Everything will have its issues and you need to decide which ones you are willing to deal with.

I've not had any major mechanical issues and am more than happy to deal with body panel alignment and cracked windows where I've read of F-150 guys having front end failures and doors that won't open.

I've had my truck at the dealership 9 times since I bought it. That's a bit more than I wanted but I knew there would be growing pains with the first year of a new generation. Sure there are some things I wish worked better (A/C, transmission shifting) but no truck is going to be perfect. There's enough other great things about my truck that offset the things that aren't.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What lag? I have 2019...no issues here.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take things with a grain of salt.

There are probably about 1M or so 2019 and 2020 RAM 1500s running around. The forums tend to bring the gripes and complaints but if you look at the overall picture that's an incredibly small percentage of DT owners.

Every time I bring my truck in for something they tell me that I'm the first one to complain about it even though there's 4 pages of people ranting about it on this forum.

If it was a serious problem and FCA was hemorrhaging money because of it then it gets addressed in future trucks. They meet industry standards which is not always personal standards.

There are plenty of things people complain about the DT (A/C, brakes, lighting, rear window cracks, CHSML leaks, etc.) but realize that people are doing that on other forums (Ford, GM, etc.) about their trucks too. Everything will have its issues and you need to decide which ones you are willing to deal with.

I've not had any major mechanical issues and am more than happy to deal with body panel alignment and cracked windows where I've read of F-150 guys having front end failures and doors that won't open.

I've had my truck at the dealership 9 times since I bought it. That's a bit more than I wanted but I knew there would be growing pains with the first year of a new generation. Sure there are some things I wish worked better (A/C, transmission shifting) but no truck is going to be perfect. There's enough other great things about my truck that offset the things that aren't.
"Never seen this problem befooore" lmao! Bunch of lying $h!ts sometimes haha.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Never seen this problem befooore" lmao! Bunch of lying $h!ts sometimes haha.

Why would someone lie about this? It's not like they work for Ram. :confused:

Those of us that read the forums know that a certain amount do have issues....but that does not mean it is a majority.

For the record mine has been working great since I picked it up on 11/2/2019 as far as any lag issues.

It has had at least two over the air updates that fixed the one issue I did have with it being confused on source inputs (it would play my audio book via Carplay and the local radio stations simultaneously).

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would someone lie about this? It's not like they work for Ram. :confused:

Those of us that read the forums know that a certain amount do have issues....but that does not mean it is a majority.

For the record mine has been working great since I picked it up on 11/2/2019 as far as any lag issues.

It has had at least two over the air updates that fixed the one issue I did have with it being confused on source inputs (it would play my audio book via Carplay and the local radio stations simultaneously).
No, I mean the dealership service departments. There are times where someone will post something here that they have an issue with....a well-known issue and their dealer says it's the first they've heard of it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I mean the dealership service departments. There are times where someone will post something here that they have an issue with....a well-known issue and their dealer says it's the first they've heard of it.
My dealerhship has been a pretty straight shooter with me.

It might be the first time that particular tech has seen the issue. Not everyone working in the service bays is a seasoned ASE certified mechanic. ;)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealerhship has been a pretty straight shooter with me.

It might be the first time that particular tech has seen the issue. Not everyone working in the service bays is a seasoned ASE certified mechanic. ;)
Good point. I just don't trust many dealers. I drive an extra 10 miles to go to a Ram dealer I trust....instead of going to the one 3 miles away from my house lol.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good point. I just don't trust many dealers. I drive an extra 10 miles to go to a Ram dealer I trust....instead of going to the one 3 miles away from my house lol.
Same here. 6 dealerships in my area, including one 2 miles away. I go 20+ miles to get to the only one I trust...3rd generation family dealership.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram dealership service was really the only thing that almost kept me from buying. I'm gonna try my hardest to stay away until the lease turn in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread