5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 - Rust/bubbling paint on passenger rear door

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this on their 5th gen? Truck is a 2019, bought in Fall of 2018, but only around 32k miles on it. It does live outside and I live in New England, so salt is a thing around here sometimes, depending on the town.

It seems to just be this door, the other 3 seem to be fine. It's annoying. Trying hard to talk myself out of a new truck in the current garbage rate environment, but it seems like every time i turn around, it's has some new (small, hopefully) issue.

I'll be taking it to a bodyshop to have it fixed at some point, but it's going in Monday for the air dam not retracting, and I'll be mentioning it to the dealer then. Just a little suspect as it's only the one door, though it does look to run the whole length of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0677.jpeg
    IMG_0677.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 47

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is the first body rust I've seen on a 5th gen so far. Kind of weird it is just one door, could be a defect from the factory. Have you checked behind the weather stripping at the bottom of the other doors or are you going off what you see from the outside?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this on their 5th gen? Truck is a 2019, bought in Fall of 2018, but only around 32k miles on it. It does live outside and I live in New England, so salt is a thing around here sometimes, depending on the town.

It seems to just be this door, the other 3 seem to be fine. It's annoying. Trying hard to talk myself out of a new truck in the current garbage rate environment, but it seems like every time i turn around, it's has some new (small, hopefully) issue.

I'll be taking it to a bodyshop to have it fixed at some point, but it's going in Monday for the air dam not retracting, and I'll be mentioning it to the dealer then. Just a little suspect as it's only the one door, though it does look to run the whole length of it.
If you have a good relationship with the dealer, talk to them. They may be willing to help out/goodwill it.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow that's terrible for a 5 year old truck.😲

Must be some real cheap steel or poor paint preparation on that door. Hopefully the rest don't do the same. After seeing the rusty oil pans a guy really has to wonder what kind of cost saving measures were obviously implemented to cause this stuff. Lot of older rusted out Dodge's out there and was hoping they got beyond that when going to RAM.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might also check the drain holes are not plugged in that door although you would probably hear sloshing water when opening and closing the door if they are.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be some real cheap steel or poor paint preparation on that door.
We just had this discussion yesterday in the shop. These trucks have been very good as compares to other models in the lineup(Wrangler, Pacifica, and 300 are bad for rust/corrosion) and compared to previous generation trucks. As for oil pans, that is really a hit or miss. The 2019 I leased has 98k miles on it and the pan looks great, with minimal rust. Not bad for living in the rust belt.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Rusting from inside out.
Now I have to go and pull the panels for a look see.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
That is the first body rust I've seen on a 5th gen so far. Kind of weird it is just one door, could be a defect from the factory. Have you checked behind the weather stripping at the bottom of the other doors or are you going off what you see from the outside?
Was going from the outside, looked quickly at the others, but it warrants a closer inspection this weekend.
If you have a good relationship with the dealer, talk to them. They may be willing to help out/goodwill it.
I am going to give it a shot, try the ol' "i'm not mad, just disappointed". Expectations are low, but it's also (near as i can tell) one door, which would indicate something was not properly applied to that door.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score

I’ve found rust specks on my 2022

Attachments

• IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9755.jpeg
    IMG_9755.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9754.jpeg
    IMG_9754.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9753.jpeg
    IMG_9753.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 19

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
These are on all four doors, had the rust proofing. Was told it’s the metallic dust from the rail cars the truck was delivered on. Yeah, ok. And the perforated sheets of metal that stop people from vandalizing the passing train with rocks couldn’t stop hot brake dust from landing on the paint??? Duchebag says what

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are on all four doors, had the rust proofing. Was told it’s the metallic dust from the rail cars the truck was delivered on. Yeah, ok. And the perforated sheets of metal that stop people from vandalizing the passing train with rocks couldn’t stop hot brake dust from landing on the paint??? Duchebag says what
It's called rail dust, doesn't always mean it came from a train. Brakes are metallic and small little flakes of hot metal comes off and lands on the car. My wife's white car gets this way all the time.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
rail dust (not always necessarily from a train) is a thing but can simply be removed with a decon/iron remover wash (iron x for example) and maybe claybarred if its still there. Very typical and some vehicles need it often.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's rail dust, look it up. If you're far from the factory your truck came to the dealer by rail, then truck...

Easy to remove, as said in the post above mine...

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Dealer (thus far) not willing to help me out, and my truck is out of corrosion warranty (5 years), and of course, having got a quote from the dealership collision center, they want to replace the door for $2500.

We'll see - I had to leave a vm, but my hope is they're offer me some concession - there's no way the door got to this state in the 8-10 months it's been out of warranty, it's only that I failed to notice it. And the other three being fine would lead me to believe that this one door had something missed in the 'prep' process. I also recently was inside the door to put the factory 6x9's in, and that door had a different color than the other 3. The other three were like a gray i think, this one was more like a light green. Struck me as odd at the time.

I've done a lot of business with this dealer (two trucks, plenty of work, etc), and they have generally been standup about this sort of thing. Here's hoping.

In any case - bottom line is: check your doors/door frames, gentlemen.

Users who are viewing this thread