5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rebel 4WD question

Believemeustink

Reaction score
I see that on the non-rebel trims, that have the four wheel drive option there is a button selector to put the 4wd in auto mode. The rebel is missing this button, so is safe to assume that the Rebel is 4wd always on by default? Or not?

Spe1996

Reaction score
I would be in line for a Rebel if it had an auto 4wd system available. Claiming it's not a option because it's meant for off road doesn't hold water given the Raptor and Chevy Colorado ZR2 all offer auto 4wd.

Granted I was a little disappointed the Rebel doesn't come in leather, have ventilated front seats or reclining rear seats like other 19 Ram's but the no auto awd was the deal breaker for me.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't read where the transfer case is more robust as far as torque ratings go. Simpler mechanical design than the 4auto, I'm sure.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee is full-time 4WD always and can deliver 100% torque to any wheel. I wish they used the same system in the Rams.

off-road Mike

Reaction score
I see that on the non-rebel trims, that have the four wheel drive option there is a button selector to put the 4wd in auto mode. The rebel is missing this button, so is safe to assume that the Rebel is 4wd always on by default? Or not?

Here is the information for RAM transfer case I found in internet. If the information is true, two take away from the doc. (1) 48-11 case is a better one compare to 48-12 which Rebel installed (2) Customer can pick which transfer case they want.

"Transfer cases get upgrades Buyers who equip their 2019 Ram 1500 with a four-wheel drive drivetrain can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel.

The transfer cases are upgraded internally for more robust performance in conjunction with the increased payload and towing capabilities of the new truck. Changes include a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication. Also, the on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity.

The 48-12 part-time transfer case provides three operating ranges 2Hi (2WD), 4Hi (4WD) and 4Lo (low-range reduction 4WD) plus a neutral position. 2Hi is designed for any road surface at any time, while 4Hi and 4Lo are for offroad use or slick surfaces. The driver can switch between 2Hi and 4Hi while the truck is in motion. To engage 4Lo, the transmission must be in neutral.

The low-range reduction ratio (crawl ratio) for 4Lo is 2.64:1, which provides increased low-speed torque capability for pulling power and improved driver control in off-road conditions.

The on-demand transfer case has 4Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo selections. 4Auto provides full-time 4WD, responding automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo function equally to the part-time transfer case."

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I would be in line for a Rebel if it had an auto 4wd system available. Claiming it's not a option because it's meant for off road doesn't hold water given the Raptor and Chevy Colorado ZR2 all offer auto 4wd.

Granted I was a little disappointed the Rebel doesn't come in leather, have ventilated front seats or reclining rear seats like other 19 Ram's but the no auto awd was the deal breaker for me.
You can most definitely get a Rebel in leather. Get the Rebel 12 package and you get black leather seats instead of the red.

Hail rebel

Reaction score
Finally there is that auto 4wd addition to the 2021 rebel !! A long-term request from us loyal owners. Damn it even includes the 360 camera. We early adopters are stuck with just a 12 inch screen. Wish we could just integrate all those cameras atleast.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
I can't believe they offer the full-time system in the 2021 Rebel. The part-time transfer case is clearly superior to the full-time option when you understand how they work. The part-time system doesnt have clutches to slip or get hot and reduce performance. There are plenty of Youtube videos to support what I'm saying. I traded my 2018 Limited for my 2019 Rebel because of the poor performance of the full-time system. Try it on ice, or prolong use off road. You will be ready trade for the part-time. If your truck never goes off road, you will probably be ok but I still don't want one.

Hail rebel

Reaction score
I can't believe they offer the full-time system in the 2021 Rebel. The part-time transfer case is clearly superior to the full-time option when you understand how they work. The part-time system doesnt have clutches to slip or get hot and reduce performance. There are plenty of Youtube videos to support what I'm saying. I traded my 2018 Limited for my 2019 Rebel because of the poor performance of the full-time system. Try it on ice, or prolong use off road. You will be ready trade for the part-time. If your truck never goes off road, you will probably be ok but I still don't want one.

Definitely agree to your point. And I'm aware ours with the borg Warner 48-11 is superior to the ones in the limited and Laramie. Considering my drive involves off road alot I always prefer the simplicity and robust factor of the non auto / less things to break over time. My 4th gen was an outdoorsman and couldn't be happier. I have seen limiteds with auto struggle due to not being engaged properly or poor 4x4 performance where ours made it look like a walk in the park.
The only advantage with the auto would be street driving on wet pavement when it rains.(mostly where these auto ones belong) I wouldn't lock mine in 4x4 high lol.

What irritates me with the 2021 MY rebel is the fact it offers all the tech stuff from the limited like 360 camera, rear view mirror camera, memory seats, blind spot , and so on.. I would prefer that front cam over anything on trails. I am trying to integrate the front cam and rear view camera mirror on to my rebel 12 even if it's a lot of work. Hope someone else in the forum who is more inclined to electronics picks up this project as well.

Cheers and sorry for the long rant lol 🤣🤣

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why I love the North Edition. I got the same suspension as a Rebel, locker, 3.92 gear, etc....but the better 48-11 t-case as well. The 48-11 is new and doesn't have any issues on or off road even when towing. I love it. I find myself using 4Auto all the time, even when pulling a trailer up a gravel road or navigating a wet field so I don't spin tires and tear up the turf. It's fantastic.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not going to argue about which transfer case is better. I just wanted to point out that both transfer cases were improved for the "new 1500", with a larger diameter mainshaft, and the chain and sprocket have been relocated for improved bearing support and improved lubrication. The 48-11's on-demand system was also improved for faster response and higher output torque.

I have the 48-11 in my 2020 Laramie, and I'm happy with the full-time 4wd system after a year of use. My truck is used mainly for commuting, along with hauling stuff home from the building supply stores. It has yet to see any trails, and I have no plans at this time to take it on any.

I'm not sure why you're so shocked that they offer the 48-11 in the Rebel now. You can still get them with the 48-12. My next truck may be a Rebel, and I'm glad they gave us the option to have that transfer case. The more options they leave to the customer to decide the better IMHO. It's better to have a choice than to have them decide what's best for us. Now, if they'd only let us choose to have ventilated seats in the Rebel I'd buy one today LOL.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I thought the same thing! I came sooo close to getting a 2020 Chevy Trailboss Custom...but I couldn't stand the interior and how the manual seats seem to be designed for people that are over 6 feet tall (which I am not 🙄)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, and the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, which is the most capable off-road truck ever made, has the AWD t-case as an option. I'm calling B.S. on the Rebel needing a chain-drive only case for it's intended use.

Users who are viewing this thread