5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram - UConnect and Android Auto Weirdness

AJU

Reaction score
Hi all - I've got a 2109 Bighorn with navigation. Absolutely love the truck - fit and finish is great, as is ride and capability. Only a couple of pans, starting with the parksense with rear autostop. The first time I brought the truck home I couldn't get up my driveway!

Anyway, I'm experiencing an issue that I can't explain (haven't had a moment to get back to the dealer yet either): when running android auto, the screen with start scrolling through different buttons and from one screen to the next without my input. It's as if someone is playing with the scroll/tune knob. The strange thing is that it only happens when using AA. All other native functions on the head unit are perfect. Anyone have any ideas?

Is anyone aware of a way to reboot the head unit? I googled and tried various things such as holding power and enter buttons at the same time or holding the top right corner of the touch screen and nothing worked. Hoping a reboot will make a difference, because I drove it for hours before this behavior started.

It appears that UConnect doesn't allow AA access to the car's GPS antenna - can anyone confirm this? Has this always been the case with prior versions?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol I am of no help to you with the android stuff, but laughed out loud with the auto stop in reverse section. I back up to some bushes at work and the first time the car slammed on the breaks, I had a bit of a WTF moment. I try to remember to turn it off when reversing now, or just say F it, and leave my truck parked out 3 feet out of the space than the other vehicles.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't there a menu setting to disable auto braking on Parksense? I'm going to need that for where I'm backing it in regularly.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the scrolling, do you have the latest AA app on your phone? Are you sure nothing is touching your phone to cause the scrolling?

All versions of AA that I'm aware of, only use the phones GPS and just use the car's screen as a remote display. Makes the integration far easier for the Nav app on the phone to simply access the phones GPS as normal. Otherwise they'd be porting GPS data across the already crowded wire and they'd need an interface to "fake" GPS signals for the app.

AJU

Reaction score
Yes - there's definitely an option to turn the auto braking off. I had no choice but to do so. My parksense still alarms when I pull in, but now I'm able to back in.

In my last vehicle, I had no problem using maps while my phone was in power saving mode, but I had a problem using Waze unless power saving was turned off. I would lose the gps signal as soon as the screen shut off. Per my research, I learned that Waze used the phone's gps antenna (which is shut off when the screen is off while in power saving mode) while maps used the car's. In the Ram, I lose the GPS signal while using maps too, leading me to believe it's UConnect that doesn't allow AA to use the gps.

Yes, I'm running the latest version and my VIN isn't eligible for a software update yet.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all - I've got a 2109 Bighorn with navigation. Absolutely love the truck - fit and finish is great, as is ride and capability. Only a couple of pans, starting with the parksense with rear autostop. The first time I brought the truck home I couldn't get up my driveway!

Anyway, I'm experiencing an issue that I can't explain (haven't had a moment to get back to the dealer yet either): when running android auto, the screen with start scrolling through different buttons and from one screen to the next without my input. It's as if someone is playing with the scroll/tune knob. The strange thing is that it only happens when using AA. All other native functions on the head unit are perfect. Anyone have any ideas?

Is anyone aware of a way to reboot the head unit? I googled and tried various things such as holding power and enter buttons at the same time or holding the top right corner of the touch screen and nothing worked. Hoping a reboot will make a difference, because I drove it for hours before this behavior started.

It appears that UConnect doesn't allow AA access to the car's GPS antenna - can anyone confirm this? Has this always been the case with prior versions?

Didn't think they would be making those for a little while. They can't even make a 2019 Rebel yet :LOL::LOL:

Twoamen

Reaction score
First time mine kicked in with BREAK BREAK I was coming up on a curb watching the 360 camera. Was moving steady. And pow. Thought I tore the rear suspension out from under the truck. 49 miles and already damaged the frame? Boy was
I worried. Got out looked and curb was still 3 feet away. What a hoot!
It will wake you up when it clicks on.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Lol, happened to me when I drove my wife’s new Outback home. She laughed and videotaped me playing 50 Shades of Red. We had to break the manual out to find the button to turn it off.

Users who are viewing this thread