5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram resale sucks

lightspeed

Reaction score
Want to sell my truck its a 2019 new style bighorn /lonestar quad cab 4x4 with most equiptment e torque motor 9850 miles window was 48k paid 39 for it took to dealer they offered 30k for it only 7 months old thats a big hit ,,carmax was 31k and autonation 28500 guess resale on these is no good whats your thoughts??

Zstreet86

Reaction score
Any optional upgrades including 4x4 is where Ram makes their money and that also where we lose our a$$ on depreciation. Also mileage is a big factor.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Want to sell my truck its a 2019 new style bighorn /lonestar quad cab 4x4 with most equiptment e torque motor 9850 miles window was 48k paid 39 for it took to dealer they offered 30k for it only 7 months old thats a big hit ,,carmax was 31k and autonation 28500 guess resale on these is no good whats your thoughts??

Well, a new Bighorn with a similar MSRP is going for 35k, at 30k tradein is a great deal, considering that dealers generally mark up used vehicles by 4K-5k.

I don’t think it’s a matter of the Ram’s not holding their value, it’s a matter of you buying a Gen 5 right when they hit the lots and we’re not able to take advantage of the big rebates that are out now.

My dad bought a 2017 ecoDiesel bighorn for 36k In 2017, he was just quoted 25,500 for it with 40,000 miles. Not too bad for 2 years.

044fbe78e5efb429fa8bf2628e3a4aff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randytartt

Reaction score
With them running steep discounts on them already... I didn't imagine there would be a high resale value for them.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
It seems that you got your big horn for about 16% off MSRP, which at the time was pretty good. But the RAM 1500's are over a year old according KBB and the like, so there is already a full year's depreciation in the books. Also, with recent markdowns up to 30% off MSRP, there is just no competing. In fact, I've been curious if anyone has tried to take their new trucks purchased in June at 25-30% off, and see what Car Max would offer. I was joking with my kids one night that maybe Carmax would offer me more than I paid for the truck. How cool would it be to make a profit on it!! But I'm sure Carmax and the like are well aware of the steep discounts and update their systems quite regularly. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait a couple of years before resale catches up with your cost.

Rick J

Reaction score
I'm curious. You paid $39K brand new. What would you be willing to pay for your truck now if you were buying it with $10K miles on it? Remember, the dealer needs to make a profit so the difference on what you would pay and what the dealer gives for the trade is their profit.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Seeing how they regularly sell new one's for 10K off, what were you expecting? Also, you have a lot of miles for 7 months. Getting 31k for it sounded decent to me, seeing how they still have to markup a used truck to make enough money but also not encroach onto what a new one will leave the lot for...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The initial hit is always the hardest, it stabilizes after the 3rd year. This goes for most vehicles on the market, and the RAM has historically had high resale as due most full size trucks compared to other classes. But not first year resale. Only high demand hard to get vehicles have high resale on first year, which the RAM is not one of those.

You have a couple of things going against you. One is trying to sell within a few months of purchase, two is the discount for new trucks will hurt your resale. Why would anyone want your 7 month old truck with almost $10,000 miles for nearly the same price for a new one?

Also, the dealership needs to make money. They are offering you $31,000 at CarMax, who will then try to sell it at $34,000.

Your best bet is to avoid the dealership and sell privately, you will make $2,000 - $3,000 more that way. However, the best move is wait 2-3 years and you will be in the black and ready to trade with equity.

Klute

Reaction score
When you buy a new off the lot vehicle you have to know it depreciates fast the first 0-3 years. I have usually always 2-3 years used for that specific reason. With the usual 15% off MSRP is what is driving the market. Usually buying new means you intend to keep the vehicle until the wheels fall off is the only way to justify the expense unless you have to have a new ride every couple years, then you should probably lease.

As far as holding value, I bought my previous 2001 Ram 1500 Bighorn 2WD (yes 2 wheel drive!) in 2013 for $22K with 12K miles and then traded it for $15K with 110K miles (plus 10K discount) on new Bighorn I think it held it's value pretty well. Of course, I keep my vehicles in great shape with maint and appearance.

hammer722

Reaction score
yeah..sounds like you pulled the trigger a little to early and missed out on the big rebates they have now. picked up my rebel 12 two weeks ago. sticker was 61, got it for 46. Kbb is saying trade in of 43 right now. lowest i could get multiple dealers to go a few months ago was 53.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
As others have said, big depreciation hit in the first couple of years. Plus the quad cab is not as desirable so that's another hit. You can't expect to to sell a model year old truck without taking a beating. The only possible exception is the Tacoma.

M

MJB4450

I've been looking for another truck for a while now. I of course want another Ram but they don't even make the configuration I want so I entertained the other brands just to see what they have. I'm not impressed with anything other than Ram so I'll have to wait. But I realized the different strategies between foreign and domestic pricing. I also noticed over the decades that domestic vehicles have far lower resale value than foreign. It looks like it's simply a choice between whether you want to pay more when you buy or loose more when you sell. They talk about the foreign makes always having higher resale value. But now look at the rebates. You'd be lucky for example, if you got $1000 in rebates on a Toyota but at the same time you can get $13000 off a Ram. So if you blow through these sales smoke screens Domestic entices you with a false MSRP and a big rebate while foregn entices you with a big resale value. That's why domestic looses so much value off the lot. The MSRP is artificially inflated so they can give these 20% rebates for those who look at sales price as the main factor. The foreign caters to those who look at resale value as the main purchase factor.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious. You paid $39K brand new. What would you be willing to pay for your truck now if you were buying it with $10K miles on it? Remember, the dealer needs to make a profit so the difference on what you would pay and what the dealer gives for the trade is their profit.
Dammit, another guy using logic, reason, and plain old common sense. You guys need to quit all that talking sensible stuff! :D

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m a charter member of the “buy high sell low” club, did it with an Jeep Grand Cherokee, an F150, a Toy Highlander and so far bought high on the 19’ RAM. Hopefully the “sell low” part of the equation is a long time off... It is what it is, a depreciating investment for the reasons stated in previous posts.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a charter member of the “buy high sell low” club, did it with an Jeep Grand Cherokee, an F150, a Toy Highlander and so far bought high on the 19’ RAM. Hopefully the “sell low” part of the equation is a long time off... It is what it is, a depreciating investment for the reasons stated in previous posts.
The only vehicles I've ever "made money" on - and that's a lot of artistic license since I probably forgot lots of stuff when putting together my numbers - were ones that I bought for virtually nothing or classic cars that held/gained value. I made money on both my 67 Mustangs. I made money on a little Mazda B-series truck that I bought for a song from a guy and doubled my money. Made money on a Jeep. Made money on my Miata, only because I sold it 10 years ago and then bought it back with 15k more miles for less than I sold it for and got a hard top besides.

Beyond that, virtually every other vehicle I've owned has declined in value. Not to mention the costs of keeping it running. Funny thing is how anyone thinks a car should make money/hold its value. No one would think that of a weedeater or a lawnmower :D

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size engine did you have in that weed eater?;)
LOL. Not as big as the Ram, that's for sure!

Sometimes I just wonder if people skip the aisles labeled "Common Sense" when they're lining up at birth to get their goodies. Surely it can't be because the lines are too long. My neighbor bought a weed eater at Big Lots, that was as advertised a refurbed no-name brand :rolleyes: and then couldn't believe it when it died the third time he used it, that no one would fix it for cheaper than it cost to buy another one, and that Big Lots wouldn't accept the return. He wanted me to fix it for him, to which I politely declined :)

ldoh

Reaction score
Initially I thought I could easily find a late model, low miles, Ram hemi 4x4 crew but couldn't beat FCA's sales incentives. I got a better price for a higher trim/optioned new body 2019 hemi 4x4 crew. The dealer made me sign an agreement I wasn't planning to flip the truck - I'd guess FCA pressures high volume dealers to limit that risk however difficult it would be to prove for one-off transactions.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
If at all possible, never trade a vehicle in to a dealer. For pickups in my area you can almost always make an additional $5,000 on a private sale over trade in value, no matter the age and mileage. That said, it seems like less people are willing to buy from non-dealers than there used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread