5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel Drivers LED Tailight Not Working

colet123

Reaction score
Hey,

I noticed the drivers side LED tailight (exterior led strip always illuminated at night) decided to stop working. All other functions (brake turn reverse) work on the drivers side but not the tailight portion.

First thing I checked was the fuse for it under the hood and it was blown, replaced it, did not fix. Brought it to the dealer I purchased it from (bought used from a GM dealer, had an extended warranty) they could not figure it out, advised they "could not find an issue with the wiring." Considering new OEM tailights w/ the blindspot monitoring were $1600+ CAD, I bought a used one off of ebay for just under $500 (my extended warranty would not cover this). Popped it in crossed my fingers and guess what! Still does not work... Even tried checking for code to see if any were related to the tailight to no avail.

Only guesses at this point are there are additional fuses that interact with the tailight that im missing, or it is indeed a wiring issue that the dealership did not catch. Im pretty certain it is not an issue with the tailight itself given that I replaced it with another and it did not fix my issue.

Any reccomendation or anyone else had a similar problem. Any help would be much appreciated!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey,

I noticed the drivers side LED tailight (exterior led strip always illuminated at night) decided to stop working. All other functions (brake turn reverse) work on the drivers side but not the tailight portion.

First thing I checked was the fuse for it under the hood and it was blown, replaced it, did not fix. Brought it to the dealer I purchased it from (bought used from a GM dealer, had an extended warranty) they could not figure it out, advised they "could not find an issue with the wiring." Considering new OEM tailights w/ the blindspot monitoring were $1600+ CAD, I bought a used one off of ebay for just under $500 (my extended warranty would not cover this). Popped it in crossed my fingers and guess what! Still does not work... Even tried checking for code to see if any were related to the tailight to no avail.

Only guesses at this point are there are additional fuses that interact with the tailight that im missing, or it is indeed a wiring issue that the dealership did not catch. Im pretty certain it is not an issue with the tailight itself given that I replaced it with another and it did not fix my issue.

Any reccomendation or anyone else had a similar problem. Any help would be much appreciated!
That could be the reason the person sold it on Ebay. I would remove it and try running power directly to the part. If you still have the old one, try it first. If it lights, it's in the truck, if not then try the replacement you bought to see if it lights.

colet123

Reaction score
That could be the reason the person sold it on Ebay. I would remove it and try running power directly to the part. If you still have the old one, try it first. If it lights, it's in the truck, if not then try the replacement you bought to see if it lights.
Thanks for the reply. Even though unlikely, it could be that both drivers side tailights were burnt out. So today i swapped the drivers side tailight onto the passenger side and after being swapped over the tailight beings working again, and when installing the (working) passenger tailight on the drivers side it stops working, which should mean there is not issue with the tailight. My original one was probably fine to begin with.
Wiring/connector appears to be okay, there was 2 burnt out fuses under the hood. One relating to the tailight and the other to trailer wiring. Both replaced, did not pop again and issue still not fixed. Trying to avoid bringing it to the dealer but that may be the only option.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Even though unlikely, it could be that both drivers side tailights were burnt out. So today i swapped the drivers side tailight onto the passenger side and after being swapped over the tailight beings working again, and when installing the (working) passenger tailight on the drivers side it stops working, which should mean there is not issue with the tailight. My original one was probably fine to begin with.
Wiring/connector appears to be okay, there was 2 burnt out fuses under the hood. One relating to the tailight and the other to trailer wiring. Both replaced, did not pop again and issue still not fixed. Trying to avoid bringing it to the dealer but that may be the only option.
The dealership missed it. There must be a spot in the harness that pinched and broke the wire. That would have popped the fuse, but would not pop it again if it's not touching metal any more. look closely at the entire length of the harness. I recently saw a video of a person having gas gauge problems, where the wire was pinched way up in a spot he could barely get to, between the frame and body.

Users who are viewing this thread