5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram rebel clunk and jerks when shifting from reverse to drive.

Solix66

Reaction score
I bought a used 2019 Rebel a few weeks ago, it drives smooth and doesn't seem to have any problems when in motion but when I shift from reverse to drive it clunks and jerks at bit. Only happens from reverse to drive. P to D, R, N, feels alright. D to P, N and even R feels alright. It only happens when I go from R to D! is it normal? took it to 3 service centers and they said they can't find anything wrong with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solix66

Reaction score
There are threads on this topic, google search using 5th gen forum works better for me than the forum's search button.
Been looking at those threads for while, none of them is the exact problem I'm having and even then I didn't really find a working solution looking at those. The ones who had it fixed under warranty couldn't explain what was really causing the issue and which parts were replaced. I just spend $350 on software update and it did nothing. I can't keep taking it to different service centers in the area spending hundreds at each one without any positive outcome.

ashrie

Reaction score
I bought a used 2019 Rebel a few weeks ago, it drives smooth and doesn't seem to have any problems when in motion but when I shift from reverse to drive it clunks and jerks at bit. Only happens from reverse to drive. P to D, R, N, feels alright. D to P, N and even R feels alright. It only happens when I go from R to D! is it normal? took it to 3 service centers and they said they can't find anything wrong with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi, I am taking my 2019 RAM 1500 (Big Horn, though, not Rebel) in for this reason, just very loud clanks when shifting. It has been doing it the day I bought it (roughly 2 years ago) and while nothing wrong has happened (yet), I’ve got to know what they say for peace of mind. They’re going to be taking a look at it next Friday 8/9/23 so I will follow up here with any news I find out!

George_RAM

Reaction score
Been looking at those threads for while, none of them is the exact problem I'm having and even then I didn't really find a working solution looking at those. The ones who had it fixed under warranty couldn't explain what was really causing the issue and which parts were replaced. I just spend $350 on software update and it did nothing. I can't keep taking it to different service centers in the area spending hundreds at each one without any positive outcome.

Hi @Solix66 , Thank you for sharing. I also have a similar issue. Have you been able to resolve it? What software update did you do to your rig? Thank you for sharing.

Solix66

Reaction score
Hi @Solix66 , Thank you for sharing. I also have a similar issue. Have you been able to resolve it? What software update did you do to your rig? Thank you for sharing.
Nope, it still clunks but doesn't jerk as bad as before. They didn't really say what kind of update it was but I think they just reset the TCM.

Solix66

Reaction score
Hi, I am taking my 2019 RAM 1500 (Big Horn, though, not Rebel) in for this reason, just very loud clanks when shifting. It has been doing it the day I bought it (roughly 2 years ago) and while nothing wrong has happened (yet), I’ve got to know what they say for peace of mind. They’re going to be taking a look at it next Friday 8/9/23 so I will follow up here with any news I find out!
Please keep us updated. Service center told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it but I don't know if they actually checked every component in the driveline...

Solix66

Reaction score
So after driving her for like 200 miles it doesn't jerk like before anymore, just a little; which I think is normal! it slowly went away after the software update. It took a little while but it's much smoother now. I'm not sure if it was the software update or something else... still clunks though.

Solix66

Reaction score
Any updates if they found anything wrong with the truck?

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Hello. I came across this thread while Googling my issue. Sounds like it falls under the OP's post. I took my truck in yesterday for this issue. I had been experiencing it off and on the about the last 2 months. To recap, I would hear, and feel, a clunk. Sometimes immediately after I started my truck, prior to putting it in gear. Most of the time I heard and felt the issue after starting the truck and either putting it in Drive or Reverse to drive away, depending on how I was parked. This issue has occurred both with, and without the parking brake engaged. I know this is sometimes to be expected when parking on a measurable incline, but this is normally not the case for me, usually parking on completely flat surfaces.

As of now, the service manager has told me the following:
"The issue you are experiencing is due to some internal issues within your transfer case. When using stethoscope the technician can gear clunking inside of transfer case and has noticed the fluid was uncommonly dark for the miles on the vehicle. This is generally caused by the transfer case having more heat than normal due to shortcomings. Our plan is to replace transfer case and fluid, and this should solve issue. I ordered the parts but have not seen them arrive yet. Best to drive it sensibly and to not use 4wd to be on safe side."

He basically said that the excess heat being generated is boiling the transfer case fluid and it's no longer protecting the vehicle.

I will update this again after the work is performed and give a list of the parts that were replaced, as well as circle back around here after a week or two to give an update on how the truck is performing, post-repair. I was told when I left the dealership that the parts will take about 5 business days to arrive and that the repair will take about 2 days. The earliest expected date after parts are ordered and installed is looking like the week of Monday, September 25th, 2023.

Thankfully this will fall under the drivetrain warranty. Otherwise it would cost several thousand dollars. I own a 2020 Rebel with 45K miles on it, so the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired.

So, my advice to anyone experiencing this is to get to your preferred local dealer and have it looked at sooner, rather than later.

Last edited:

Solix66

Reaction score
Hello. I came across this thread while Googling my issue. Sounds like it falls under the OP's post. I took my truck in yesterday for this issue. I had been experiencing it off and on the about the last 2 months. To recap, I would hear, and feel, a clunk. Sometimes immediately after I started my truck, prior to putting it in gear. Most of the time I heard and felt the issue after starting the truck and either putting it in Drive or Reverse to drive away, depending on how I was parked. This issue has occurred both with, and without the parking brake engaged. I know this is sometimes to be expected when parking on a measurable incline, but this is normally not the case for me, usually parking on completely flat surfaces.

As of now, the service manager has told me the following:
"The issue you are experiencing is due to some internal issues within your transfer case. When using stethoscope the technician can gear clunking inside of transfer case and has noticed the fluid was uncommonly dark for the miles on the vehicle. This is generally caused by the transfer case having more heat than normal due to shortcomings. Our plan is to replace transfer case and fluid, and this should solve issue. I ordered the parts but have not seen them arrive yet. Best to drive it sensibly and to not use 4wd to be on safe side."

He basically said that the excess heat being generated is boiling the transfer case fluid and it's no longer protecting the vehicle.

I will update this again after the work is performed and give a list of the parts that were replaced, as well as circle back around here after a week or two to give an update on how the truck is performing, post-repair. I was told when I left the dealership that the parts will take about 5 business days to arrive and that the repair will take about 2 days. The earliest expected date after parts are ordered and installed is looking like the week of Monday, September 25th, 2023.

Thankfully this will fall under the drivetrain warranty. Otherwise it would cost several thousand dollars. I own a 2020 Rebel with 45K miles on it, so the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired.

So, my advice to anyone experiencing this is to get to your preferred local dealer and have it looked at sooner, rather than later.

After driving for over 1000 miles after the software update my issue has almost disappeared though, it only happens once in a while and very slightly. I'm guessing and hoping that the service center did check my transfer case fluid when I took it in for this issue, but I'll have my own mechanic do that the next time when I take it in for oil change soon.
Thanks for the reply, keep us updated please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online