5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel 8.4C Navigation Issue

2019_Rebel_NH

Reaction score
Hello. Hoping someone can potentially shed some light on the issue I am having with my navigation system. Get in the truck in the morning, and the navigation works. If I change any of the navigation settings (like very loud voice navigation volume set on 15, or add sign posts, or program my home address) the navigation will continue to work and will hold the settings until I turn the truck off. If I then restart the truck, the navigation will say "loading..." and will stay like this for hours. No navigation at this point. Then, the next morning, after the navigation settings "reset" to the original settings (ie... voice navigation volume back to 15, my home address removed, sign posts gone) the navigation will again work. Dealer has no idea and says whole radio head unit most likely needs to be replaced. However, FCA only replaces with refurbished units... plus they have to rip my dash apart. So, I guess I live with it or have a used radio head unit installed that failed in someone else's new truck. Not good...

ForkliftFranky12

Reaction score
Me personally if you dont need to Nav and everything else works fine then I would say F it. Ive tried the navigation on my Ram just going to work to see which route it would take me and rather than driving straight down to the street my work is located it had me make a couple turns for absolutly no reason to get back the road I started on. No construction or anything like that and the road has been built for years so its nothing new. I will put my faith in GPS from my phone before I trust a unit that comes with my vehicle.....but thats just my opinion and I am sure some people will disagree with me and thats fine but I will keep to what works for me. Best of luck.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello. Hoping someone can potentially shed some light on the issue I am having with my navigation system. Get in the truck in the morning, and the navigation works. If I change any of the navigation settings (like very loud voice navigation volume set on 15, or add sign posts, or program my home address) the navigation will continue to work and will hold the settings until I turn the truck off. If I then restart the truck, the navigation will say "loading..." and will stay like this for hours. No navigation at this point. Then, the next morning, after the navigation settings "reset" to the original settings (ie... voice navigation volume back to 15, my home address removed, sign posts gone) the navigation will again work. Dealer has no idea and says whole radio head unit most likely needs to be replaced. However, FCA only replaces with refurbished units... plus they have to rip my dash apart. So, I guess I live with it or have a used radio head unit installed that failed in someone else's new truck. Not good...
Refurb parts for warranty work? Sounds like bullshiat to me. Why would you invite potential for repeat issues? Go to a different dealer or introduce yourself to the service manager and question the refurb head unit.

Rich

Reaction score
I thought I saw something like this today. I had turned on 'signposts' and something else, perhaps not allowing 'auto trains'.

Then a short time later I saw that navigation loading . . .. message. I pressed the button to see the nav screen and it seemed to clear it, but I didn't check if my settings stuck.

I know that my guidance volume setting is not sticking, and that is a pain. It seems to stick sometimes, but not always, often resetting to the default setting of 15, which is way too loud IMHO.

A new unit? They all would do this, it's got to be a firmware issue.

Is there a way a dealer can report firmware bugs? How about end users, how can we report bugs? I'm not sure how we even get updates to the firmware yet, perhaps only a dealer can do it?

Users who are viewing this thread