5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Limited with a host of issues... hate to be That Guy.

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, but I use the forum a lot as a lurker for issues, TSBs, etc. I did a search for my most recent issue(s) with not much success. BUT, this all goes back to the typical (as I've been told and read repeatedly) electrical issues that plague the Ram 1500s. I really want to love this truck, its ride, stereo, interior, etc. - all of the features are great. I am posting this as an FYI / information for other forum members, or those looking for issues / troubleshooting - and for anyone that might have had the same issues and how it was resolved (I am going to try the old disconnect the battery terminal trick tonight, I needed to get to work and this is my daily driver).

Here are the symptoms:

1. Truck dead as a door nail - not an erg of power this morning. I used my fob key to get into it, and used my $75 lithium ion jump starter (a must have for a Ram truck owner I've found out) to start it. As a side note - the most plaguing issue is this, truck batteries totally discharged - this has occurred off and on for the three years I've had the truck, costing me three months of truck-at-the-dealer time.
2. Truck issues after startup (tried restarting a couple of times, manual reset of control panel, etc. to fix):
i. AC blowing heat, won't work on manual or control panel controls (defaults to LO temp, I can adjust the temp / fan speed readout manually, but still only blows hot, not outdoor, hot air)
ii. Control panel has lost the electric buttons for a lot of features: backup camera (cameras don't work), electric step boards, etc. electric seat heater, cool air seats, etc. don't show up
iii. Sirius XM no longer available on screen/as a button on the control panel

My thoughts are that the 12" U connect has just gotten tired of all of the electrical faults and has 'joined the gang' on crapping out too lol.

This truck was shipped Labor Day week 2018, I've had it almost exactly 3 years to date as I write this (I think the 19th is the anniversary date). Issues to date on previous service calls:

All of the following started/first symptom as a dead truck issue:
1st issue - Safety devices not working - blind spot monitoring, backup sensors, etc. (Dec 2018)
2nd Issue - Battery charging harness / wiring (Jan 2019)
3rd issue - Replaced 12v battery (Feb 2019)
4th issue - back in for electrical safety issues - BSM, Backup sensors, cameras, transmission in limp home mode / 1st gear etc. (July 2019)
5th issue - Replaced E-torque generator (July 2019)
6th issue - Aero shutter assembly electrical issue - issues appeared as control panel / gauge cluster staying powered on all time, truck in limp home mode / 1st gear (June 2021)
7th issue - today, control panel / HVAC / safety devices, etc.

Separately, in July of this year, I had issues with the Auto Start/stop failing, and a lot of yellow safety alerts, this was caused by a faulty fuel injector / 2nd cylinder misfire, and when that was replaced, everything resolved itself - this was the most straightforward repair, it only took a week at the dealer. Most of the issues above took 1 week to over a month (for the e-torque generator).

I really want to love this truck. I'm not bashing just to bash here. But, this vehicle has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned, and I go through a lot of vehicles (25k-30k per year 53 year old driver). Right now, I would feel guilty about selling this to someone - I know, get rid of it will be a lot of the advice... especially when the resale is so high now - I've really been tempted. BUT, what truck do I go get? If I could even find a new one with what I want, I would probably have to order one out of production (what I did with this truck) and that's going to cost MSRP, or more.

This post is really me venting, and just warning other buyers.... I know - "Don't ever buy first year production" etc. - the sad thing is I cant get this Lemon lawed / Magnussen acted out, its always a different issue according to the dealer, with the only thing common the electrical issue (dead truck). I've thought about contacting consumer law counsel, but really - who wants to do that mess? I've contacted Ram Cares on the first issues, then Ram Customer Service for the ones past 2 years old, but they aren't offering to buy my truck back - what do you have to do to get that done? Probably write posts like these...

Frustrated in North Texas.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't hurt to sit down with one and explain the situation, consultation is probably free.
Atleast if you had it towed in every time it would say "towed in with dead battery"...maybe you can get the full service records from your dealer and comb over all the notes that are in there. I would do my best to lemon it, but you don't have much time left I'm afraid...

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
Can't hurt to sit down with one and explain the situation, consultation is probably free.
Atleast if you had it towed in every time it would say "towed in with dead battery"...maybe you can get the full service records from your dealer and comb over all the notes that are in there. I would do my best to lemon it, but you don't have much time left I'm afraid...
Unfortunately, I am capable enough to get it jumped - after the second tow, I got the routine down, and really - the li-on jump starters are super trick - ie. its pretty easy to get it jump started now. I do have most of the service records, I am pretty good about keeping receipts/records. I understand you have to have one 30 day service interruption (which was the generator replacement, but I decided not to go that route at the time) OR three service trips for the same thing in a 30 day period (this is from memory, and it might not have been for Texas - and each time my receipt says something different). I could trade it in for a new production (that's probably what I am going to do). Thanks for the reply, just figured I would get my .02 out to the world... Once the dealer replaces/fixes this next item, I'm going to finalize a new production order on Something.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, but I use the forum a lot as a lurker for issues, TSBs, etc. I did a search for my most recent issue(s) with not much success. BUT, this all goes back to the typical (as I've been told and read repeatedly) electrical issues that plague the Ram 1500s. I really want to love this truck, its ride, stereo, interior, etc. - all of the features are great. I am posting this as an FYI / information for other forum members, or those looking for issues / troubleshooting - and for anyone that might have had the same issues and how it was resolved (I am going to try the old disconnect the battery terminal trick tonight, I needed to get to work and this is my daily driver).

Here are the symptoms:

1. Truck dead as a door nail - not an erg of power this morning. I used my fob key to get into it, and used my $75 lithium ion jump starter (a must have for a Ram truck owner I've found out) to start it. As a side note - the most plaguing issue is this, truck batteries totally discharged - this has occurred off and on for the three years I've had the truck, costing me three months of truck-at-the-dealer time.
2. Truck issues after startup (tried restarting a couple of times, manual reset of control panel, etc. to fix):
i. AC blowing heat, won't work on manual or control panel controls (defaults to LO temp, I can adjust the temp / fan speed readout manually, but still only blows hot, not outdoor, hot air)
ii. Control panel has lost the electric buttons for a lot of features: backup camera (cameras don't work), electric step boards, etc. electric seat heater, cool air seats, etc. don't show up
iii. Sirius XM no longer available on screen/as a button on the control panel

My thoughts are that the 12" U connect has just gotten tired of all of the electrical faults and has 'joined the gang' on crapping out too lol.

This truck was shipped Labor Day week 2018, I've had it almost exactly 3 years to date as I write this (I think the 19th is the anniversary date). Issues to date on previous service calls:

All of the following started/first symptom as a dead truck issue:
1st issue - Safety devices not working - blind spot monitoring, backup sensors, etc. (Dec 2018)
2nd Issue - Battery charging harness / wiring (Jan 2019)
3rd issue - Replaced 12v battery (Feb 2019)
4th issue - back in for electrical safety issues - BSM, Backup sensors, cameras, transmission in limp home mode / 1st gear etc. (July 2019)
5th issue - Replaced E-torque generator (July 2019)
6th issue - Aero shutter assembly electrical issue - issues appeared as control panel / gauge cluster staying powered on all time, truck in limp home mode / 1st gear (June 2021)
7th issue - today, control panel / HVAC / safety devices, etc.

Separately, in July of this year, I had issues with the Auto Start/stop failing, and a lot of yellow safety alerts, this was caused by a faulty fuel injector / 2nd cylinder misfire, and when that was replaced, everything resolved itself - this was the most straightforward repair, it only took a week at the dealer. Most of the issues above took 1 week to over a month (for the e-torque generator).

I really want to love this truck. I'm not bashing just to bash here. But, this vehicle has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned, and I go through a lot of vehicles (25k-30k per year 53 year old driver). Right now, I would feel guilty about selling this to someone - I know, get rid of it will be a lot of the advice... especially when the resale is so high now - I've really been tempted. BUT, what truck do I go get? If I could even find a new one with what I want, I would probably have to order one out of production (what I did with this truck) and that's going to cost MSRP, or more.

This post is really me venting, and just warning other buyers.... I know - "Don't ever buy first year production" etc. - the sad thing is I cant get this Lemon lawed / Magnussen acted out, its always a different issue according to the dealer, with the only thing common the electrical issue (dead truck). I've thought about contacting consumer law counsel, but really - who wants to do that mess? I've contacted Ram Cares on the first issues, then Ram Customer Service for the ones past 2 years old, but they aren't offering to buy my truck back - what do you have to do to get that done? Probably write posts like these...

Frustrated in North Texas.
I'm right there with you Ezshooter. My experience with this truck has been one issue after the next, followed by another... then followed by another... It's a rinse-cycle-repeat of constant setbacks, delays, repairs, and lost lost revenue in my case being self-employed and dependent on my truck on a day-2-day basis. My experience with FCA, Dealertship customer service, and ram cares was completely useless and unaccommodating with little to no care at all. The extent of assistance provided to me so far has been shoulder shrugs and oh-wells.
It only leads you to type up a post "venting" your frustrations on this forum because it's the only place you feel you are actually heard. If I could Can my Ram today I would but the current market is a SH*t Show with cost of vehicles. I wish you the best my friend.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Check your lemon law again. It should be 30 days cumulative, not one visit for 30 days.

But, you are probably correct that you are probably about a year outside the window to file. 24 months is usually the max.

Fix it enough to trade it. Valuations are high. Replacements will be hard to find but probably your best and only option without bringing in an attorney. Just have to run the numbers. Guessing the attorney route might take longer and be just as costly but it could work.

Last edited:

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
Welp.... I realized that getting worked up enough to post forum messages meant I needed to get something done - 5 hours later, she's someone else's problem at the stealership. I just have to drop off the second key today, hope she wasn't DRT this morning, they might ask me some questions I want to avoid! I bought this for $59k, drove it 61k miles, sold it for $38.5k - I could have probably got a bit more (one minor accident on CarFax probably cost me a grand or two) BUT - its not my problem now and I have a (relatively) clear conscience. I'm feeling better already, at least until I have to haul something... lol.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Congratulations! I know it's a good feeling to offload a burden like that. Even if it did cost you a little, the long term benefits make up for it. I think you made the right decision.

Users who are viewing this thread