5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Laramie will not start and key fob will not lock / unlock doors

peteladeet

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Ram Laramie Off-Road group and took it to an Intoxalock service center to have an IID device installed (past mistake). I left it with the service center to have the ignition interlok installed. I got a call from the technician saying he couldn't get the truck to start and needed my other key. I show up, again, and give him the other key and of coarse the truck wont start. Another note, the key fob will not lock / unlock doors and just doesnt seem to work. When i get into the truck the initial image on the instrument cluster screen is stuck on the " press pedal and push button to start" image or message, whatever you want to call it. When i press the start button without depressing the brake pedal, it will not switch between the different power modes ( acc / on / run). I am hoping to find a solution before I have to tow the car to the dealership and have them take a look.

So far I have found online some possible solutions that I will try today when I head back to the technician.
1. check the ignition fuse (F24)
2. check to see if the truck is in park by trying the truck into neutral with the lanyard pull method.
3. check battery terminals to see if anything is loose and checking the ground strap.
4. test the battery to see if it is bad.

I called a dealer yesterday to see if he had any solutions. The mechanic said it could be in anti-theft lockdown mode and to wait 4 hours before trying to start again. Has anyone here ever heard of that?

I will greatly appreciate and all suggestions and or solutions so I can drive my new, used truck. Just got the truck 3 days ago.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you have two Fobs? Try the other one. Hold the fob against the start button while starting it. Sounds like a communication problem with the FOB. Does the fobs light come on when pressing buttons?

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Id be willing to bet its the IID device being installed wrong and/or interferring with the fob in a similar way to how aftermarket LED third brake lights interfere with the antenna that is sensing the fob. As vincentw56 suggested, try touching the fob to the start button and see if that changes things.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
I have installed interlocks on our trucks before, it is a very straightforward install. If they know what they are doing, all wires are available at the BCM. That being said, if they did go to the BCM and unplug the connectors, it’s possible one is not fully seated and engaged, or possible some pins got bent. The other thing would be a fuse being blown somewhere. The interlock itself would not cause your issues, but a poor installation certainly could.

peteladeet

Reaction score
I have installed interlocks on our trucks before, it is a very straightforward install. If they know what they are doing, all wires are available at the BCM. That being said, if they did go to the BCM and unplug the connectors, it’s possible one is not fully seated and engaged, or possible some pins got bent. The other thing would be a fuse being blown somewhere. The interlock itself would not cause your issues, but a poor installation certainly could.
That was my guess. I felt bad for the tech because he had never installed and IID device on a push to start. He tried and messed something up. That being said, he shouldnt have touched my truck if he wasnt comfortable with the installation. It's water under the bridge at this point. My truck is now at a dealership waiting to be diagnosed and fixed.

peteladeet

Reaction score
Id be willing to bet its the IID device being installed wrong and/or interferring with the fob in a similar way to how aftermarket LED third brake lights interfere with the antenna that is sensing the fob. As vincentw56 suggested, try touching the fob to the start button and see if that changes things.
The tech who did the install had never installed on a push to start car before, so he shouldnt have attempted it. I did try to start by pressing the FOB against the start button and nothing. The led on the key fob would go on when touching the start button, but no response from the truck.

peteladeet

Reaction score
Do you have two Fobs? Try the other one. Hold the fob against the start button while starting it. Sounds like a communication problem with the FOB. Does the fobs light come on when pressing buttons?
Tried bot fobs while touch the start button with the fob, nothing happened.

peteladeet

Reaction score
Thank for all of the responses! At this point, none of the possible solutions worked, so my truck has been towed to a RAM dealership and is awaiting diagnostics and repair. I will post and update when I find out what went wrong. I will also be sure to call the interlock installers myself to make sure that they have installed an IID device on a push-to-start truck before I take it in to have the damn blow-and-go installed.

peteladeet

Reaction score

When you installed the interlock device, did you disconnect the battery cable from the terminals? What questions would you have, if you were me, for a potential installer? I think im going to demand that my device be installed by service center that installs car stereos / alarms / accessories / etc.. since i believe they would have a better grasp of what needs to be done to install this device.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you installed the interlock device, did you disconnect the battery cable from the terminals? What questions would you have, if you were me, for a potential installer? I think im going to demand that my device be installed by service center that installs car stereos / alarms / accessories / etc.. since i believe they would have a better grasp of what needs to be done to install this device.
I dont think you can demand that when you have to have a blow and go installed because of a poor choice you made. You have no leverage when you are in this situation. Example customer I have has a JL 4xe, they can't install an blow and go device on the vehicle. 2 choices sell it or not drive, that's what the courts told her.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
He can certainly choose where to go for the installation. Where am at, there multiple interlock manufacturers and the clients can pick where to go. The courts don’t care what device is installed as long as you are on the program.

As far as the installation goes, push to start or key start really doesn’t matter. All that may change is the location of certain wires based on what ignition system. If you really want to feel more comfortable, you can certainly question how many devices they have installed, and if they have done installs on similar vehicle types. Just trying to reassure you that it’s not a complicated vehicle to do, so to me it just sounds like he probably hasn’t installed many, and the curveball of not having all the wires at a traditional ignition switch may have tripped him up. I would personally suggest looking for a place that installs remote starts, because it’s a similar process.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He can certainly choose where to go for the installation. Where am at, there multiple interlock manufacturers and the clients can pick where to go. The courts don’t care what device is installed as long as you are on the program.

As far as the installation goes, push to start or key start really doesn’t matter. All that may change is the location of certain wires based on what ignition system. If you really want to feel more comfortable, you can certainly question how many devices they have installed, and if they have done installs on similar vehicle types. Just trying to reassure you that it’s not a complicated vehicle to do, so to me it just sounds like he probably hasn’t installed many, and the curveball of not having all the wires at a traditional ignition switch may have tripped him up. I would personally suggest looking for a place that installs remote starts, because it’s a similar process.
He can't just go to uncle wally's radio... it has to be an approved installer and device.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Yes, I’m aware of that fact. He has the right to choose which place he wants to use. Clearly you can’t walk into a place that doesn’t install interlocks and ask them to do that. They wouldn’t have the equipment to do the job. However, around my area, there are several different types of shops that do them. One being places like mine that do audio/remote starts, others that are strictly interlocks only, and then there are mechanic shops that do them.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I’m aware of that fact. He has the right to choose which place he wants to use. Clearly you can’t walk into a place that doesn’t install interlocks and ask them to do that. They wouldn’t have the equipment to do the job. However, around my area, there are several different types of shops that do them. One being places like mine that do audio/remote starts, others that are strictly interlocks only, and then there are mechanic shops that do them.
Depends

peteladeet

Reaction score
I am going to clarify, that I can only pick from certified installers in my area. There is a list of certified on the device companies website that I can choose from. I am going to make it a point to have the interlock installed at a place that 1). has installed on a push-to-start before, so the have experience. 2). A place that installs car stereos, alarms, an other accessories, which there a few to choose from. All the state cares about is getting the data from calibration.

Last edited:

peteladeet

Reaction score

I appreciate this info. This helps a lot.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
No problem, sorry you had to deal with the unfortunate results of a poor installation. Hopefully whatever comes of it, the shop will make it right for you.

TAE

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Ram Laramie Off-Road group and took it to an Intoxalock service center to have an IID device installed (past mistake). I left it with the service center to have the ignition interlok installed. I got a call from the technician saying he couldn't get the truck to start and needed my other key. I show up, again, and give him the other key and of coarse the truck wont start. Another note, the key fob will not lock / unlock doors and just doesnt seem to work. When i get into the truck the initial image on the instrument cluster screen is stuck on the " press pedal and push button to start" image or message, whatever you want to call it. When i press the start button without depressing the brake pedal, it will not switch between the different power modes ( acc / on / run). I am hoping to find a solution before I have to tow the car to the dealership and have them take a look.

So far I have found online some possible solutions that I will try today when I head back to the technician.
1. check the ignition fuse (F24)
2. check to see if the truck is in park by trying the truck into neutral with the lanyard pull method.
3. check battery terminals to see if anything is loose and checking the ground strap.
4. test the battery to see if it is bad.

I called a dealer yesterday to see if he had any solutions. The mechanic said it could be in anti-theft lockdown mode and to wait 4 hours before trying to start again. Has anyone here ever heard of that?

I will greatly appreciate and all suggestions and or solutions so I can drive my new, used truck. Just got the truck 3 days ago.
Hey I just had the same issue with my 2019 bighorn I it towed to the dealership of course it started for them. They checked the battery everything was fine they could not tell me what was wrong. Did you get an solution to what happened?

peteladeet

Reaction score
Hey I just had the same issue with my 2019 bighorn I it towed to the dealership of course it started for them. They checked the battery everything was fine they could not tell me what was wrong. Did you get an solution to what happened?
The truck is at a Ram dealership. They told me they are going to check the wiring, even though i "left" a note telling them were the problem should be. They said they are ordering new wiring harness to install. I will have more info in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread