5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram comparable to R/T Chargers!

blackopsram

Reaction score
Hello and happy sunday everybody,

Hopefully the weekend has everybody refreshed and ready to get back to work. So a few times in the past I asked myself, when talking Ram and the notorius 5.7 hemi it's known for, how does it shape up against the Charger R/T? Well, even though it seems like a pretty weird comparison, I thought it was worth a go to look into it since the powertrain is actually pretty similar if you ask me. The Ram has the 5.7 Hemi, Zf's glorius 8 speed transmission, and has 3.21 gears, (3.92 gears optional). The Charger has the 5.7 Hemi but down about 20 horsepower from the factory, the about same 8 speed, and 2.62 gears correct me if I'm wrong, (Also the Scat Pack's 3.07 gears in the track pak). Even though there is a near 1,100 pound weight difference, how do the two stack up against each other? Well, I decided to take a look for myself and made a video to share with all of you. A member of our forum named Nick, (sorry if that's not your name on here, I saw your video on youtube and remembered you from the forum) posted a clip of his 19 Ram with the Hemi and 3.92 gears going 0-60. I lined it up with a video of a stock Charger R/T going 0-60 and the results were pretty shocking. The ram seemed to be behind by only about half a second or so, which is crazy. Granted he was in 4 auto, but still, the truck weighs a good half ton more and is the laramie with the long bed, even more weight. If somebody decided to get a double cab Tradesman with 3.92 gears and did some work, (Intake work like manifold and cold air and spacers, Headers and Exhaust, tune, maybe a cam once the 5th gens are opened up) that truck would be a beast from a dig. I know a youtuber named Incredible Hemi who has a similar build to this one and his is a 4th gen. So to sum up this long post, think our Rams are faster than what people think. I have 3.92 gears and the anti-spin diff and have no problem getting past people at any speed. And now it looks like our trucks could put a pretty good scare to some R/T owners . So yeah, let me know what you guys think. I'm gonna try to put the video as an attachment but if it doesn't work, I might post a video to youtube and tag the link. Thanks again to Nick for the video. All of you have a great day and let me know your thoughts.

blackopsram

Reaction score
Yeah sorry, the video wasn't in the right format so I had to upload to youtube. Here is the link:

Lize

Reaction score
You really surprise me, if my Ram can nearly keep up with a Charger R/T then its very disappointing and rules out considering one and a Hellcat is too expensive!

blackopsram

Reaction score
You really surprise me, if my Ram can nearly keep up with a Charger R/T then its very disappointing and rules out considering one and a Hellcat is too expensive!

Lol sorry about that! I think if you still want a cheap, fast drag car, go with the Charger R/T. I just think the Ram is the better choice because you have a capable truck with 4 wheel Drive.

Lize

Reaction score
Its only that I've been half debating whether to sell my car as I don't use it a lot and thought if I miss it was thinking about possible replacement choices. I don't need 4 doors but have been told Chargers seem a more planted drive than Challengers. Have been out in the car today and like it too much to sell, but as I'm busy work wise I'll probably think about it again.

blackopsram

Reaction score
Its only that I've been half debating whether to sell my car as I don't use it a lot and thought if I miss it was thinking about possible replacement choices. I don't need 4 doors but have been told Chargers seem a more planted drive than Challengers. Have been out in the car today and like it too much to sell, but as I'm busy work wise I'll probably think about it again.
Do you live in a place that gets a lot of snow? Because at that point I would say keep the truck, I mean that was one of the main reasons I got mine. The Charger is still one of my favorite cars, but I can't be stuck in the winter, you know?

Lize

Reaction score
Keeping the truck for sure, use that all the time for work. I'm lucky enough to have a few cars, was another one I was contemplating selling. Hardly any snow and if its bad I just stay indoors unless absolutely necessary!

We are RHD and trucks aren't a problem as you sit high up and visibility good all round with the addition of blind spot to discover cars along side when on multi-lanes. Always been a bit put off a sports or sedan as just not sure I'd get the most out of it, overtaking would be more difficult.

Just wasted loads of time on Dodge website, think Sublime and those Redeye 6.2SC Hemi's do look the ticket, maybe one day :rolleyes:

blackopsram

Reaction score
Keeping the truck for sure, use that all the time for work. I'm lucky enough to have a few cars, was another one I was contemplating selling. Hardly any snow and if its bad I just stay indoors unless absolutely necessary!

We are RHD and trucks aren't a problem as you sit high up and visibility good all round with the addition of blind spot to discover cars along side when on multi-lanes. Always been a bit put off a sports or sedan as just not sure I'd get the most out of it, overtaking would be more difficult.

Just wasted loads of time on Dodge website, think Sublime and those Redeye 6.2SC Hemi's do look the ticket, maybe one day :rolleyes:
For sure brother!

Users who are viewing this thread