5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram bighorn!!!

millertime38

Reaction score
Okay in a previous post I stated that I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn it is the 5.7 hemi V8. Okay so issue with an oil cooler or the "oil filter adapter" as some call it. Okay my issue is with research. I have spoken with many people I have watched many videos I have read many threads all stating different things some say that could be my issue others say that it's a coolant issue but let me give you a little backstory. Around 80,000 miles on the truck. Regular services etc. one day after running into town to do a few errands wasn't operating in high temperatures, no warning lights, no high temps, and mind you on my instrument cluster I keep it turned to the screen that has the tire pressure and then in the middle or if you scroll over it'll show you the other things of your vehicle but I like to drive with that on so I know that the vehicle's functioning properly. Anyways I came out of one of the stores and as I was walking towards my truck I noticed a pile of tannish sludge dripping from the front passenger side off of the the plastic when I pop the hood it was surging out of my coolant reservoir it is in my radiator I immediately immediately thought head gasket however when I checked the oil the oil was completely empty which was strange especially without any warning lights or high temps and there was no coolant in my oil it was just empty need help identifying the issue without spending a ton of money because I am in a financially strained position as it is. Please help

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay in a previous post I stated that I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn it is the 5.7 hemi V8. Okay so issue with an oil cooler or the "oil filter adapter" as some call it. Okay my issue is with research. I have spoken with many people I have watched many videos I have read many threads all stating different things some say that could be my issue others say that it's a coolant issue but let me give you a little backstory. Around 80,000 miles on the truck. Regular services etc. one day after running into town to do a few errands wasn't operating in high temperatures, no warning lights, no high temps, and mind you on my instrument cluster I keep it turned to the screen that has the tire pressure and then in the middle or if you scroll over it'll show you the other things of your vehicle but I like to drive with that on so I know that the vehicle's functioning properly. Anyways I came out of one of the stores and as I was walking towards my truck I noticed a pile of tannish sludge dripping from the front passenger side off of the the plastic when I pop the hood it was surging out of my coolant reservoir it is in my radiator I immediately immediately thought head gasket however when I checked the oil the oil was completely empty which was strange especially without any warning lights or high temps and there was no coolant in my oil it was just empty need help identifying the issue without spending a ton of money because I am in a financially strained position as it is. Please help

From your description, it does sound like the intercooler is the most likely suspect. They are fabricated from thin wall tubing and some of the factory welds were not the best. It's also one of the cheapest of the suspects to fix. In a pinch, you could even bypass the filter base oil lines and plug off the intercooler oil lines and run without it for awhile. Most engines didn't even have this extra layer of cooling until very recently.

I can't totally rule out other things like head gasket, but you're going to need to drain and flush the cooling system in any case, so it might make sense to remove the intercooler for inspection. With a bit of ingenuity, you can probably figure a way to test it with locally available things like air compressor, kitchen faucet.

Anyone else think of places where pressurized engine oil runs next door to coolant in a leak-prone way?

millertime38

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Putting it to the test today. Any other insight on this would be appreciated. I tell you, this forum has been so helpful

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From your description, it does sound like the intercooler is the most likely suspect. They are fabricated from thin wall tubing and some of the factory welds were not the best. It's also one of the cheapest of the suspects to fix. In a pinch, you could even bypass the filter base oil lines and plug off the intercooler oil lines and run without it for awhile. Most engines didn't even have this extra layer of cooling until very recently.

I can't totally rule out other things like head gasket, but you're going to need to drain and flush the cooling system in any case, so it might make sense to remove the intercooler for inspection. With a bit of ingenuity, you can probably figure a way to test it with locally available things like air compressor, kitchen faucet.

Anyone else think of places where pressurized engine oil runs next door to coolant in a leak-prone way?
Where is the intercooler on the Hemi? Do some Hemi's come with turbos?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where is the intercooler on the Hemi? Do some Hemi's come with turbos?
The intercooler being discussed in this thread is an engine oil/engine coolant intercooler, located in the lower radiator hose. Not to be confused with the compressed air/ambient intercooler sometimes used with turbochargers. The hemi trucks on this forum do not usually come with turbos, but given enough money and ingenuity anything is possible.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The intercooler being discussed in this thread is an engine oil/engine coolant intercooler, located in the lower radiator hose. Not to be confused with the compressed air/ambient intercooler sometimes used with turbochargers. The hemi trucks on this forum do not usually come with turbos, but given enough money and ingenuity anything is possible.
After owning a F250 with the 7.3 turbo intercooler was what I was familiar with. Thanks, never too old to learn.

millertime38

Reaction score

Any chance you could attach some files or pictures or something to show me the location or the culprit of the intercooler that you're referring to whenever I try to research it or look it up I don't know if I'm using improper keywords or whatever but it's not giving me consistent results so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some drawings and links are in your previous post.
Oil cooler help?!
The drawing from ramtrucks.com parts pages is sort of oriented with right front of vehicle to the left of the page, stuff under and to right of engine. The intercooler is #16 on the drawing.

Users who are viewing this thread