5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Big Horn - Not Happy

JDT 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Traded in my 2013 Ram Big Horn because it was a dog on mpg with the 6 speed auto transmission. Never got over 15 mpg highway, put a 16' bumper pull low profile stock trailer on it would get 8.5-9.0 at best. Let me say I LOVED my 2013 Ram, other than the mpg!
Was told by salesman that I just got a bad one (2013) and the 2019 would be WAY better. I wanted to wait for the 2019 ecodiesel, but 2013 was starting to give issues and wanted to get an upgrade and help on MPG. Bought it last weekend, as a demo with 4,600 miles. Was told the new 2019 set-up should get way better than 8.5-9.0 mpg pulling, should be 13-15 with trailer. Drove it home 100 miles was getting 21, happy. Put my trailer on the next day, drove 3 round trips for a total of 630 miles and averaged 9.9 mpg . . . MAD... is an understatement. (My son just bought a 2018 GMC 1500 5.3. Hooked on to the same trailer, left OK to IN, called driving 80 mph, loaded, and getting 14 mpg for entire trip. I tried to get him to buy RAM)
Was told it just needed to break-in... they told me that on my 2013 and after 144K miles it was still the same. I CANNOT afford to put fuel in this 2019 if it is going to get 9 mpg too. That is why I traded. I'm seek some help.... Can the dealer reprogram the computer, drive another new 2019 under the radiator cap (sure), or what can be done? I stretched my budget to buy this truck and it is no better mpg than my 2013. HELP!

John813

Reaction score
You buy a truck with a 3.21 rear end or 3.92?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Traded in my 2013 Ram Big Horn because it was a dog on mpg with the 6 speed auto transmission. Never got over 15 mpg highway, put a 16' bumper pull low profile stock trailer on it would get 8.5-9.0 at best. Let me say I LOVED my 2013 Ram, other than the mpg!
Was told by salesman that I just got a bad one (2013) and the 2019 would be WAY better. I wanted to wait for the 2019 ecodiesel, but 2013 was starting to give issues and wanted to get an upgrade and help on MPG. Bought it last weekend, as a demo with 4,600 miles. Was told the new 2019 set-up should get way better than 8.5-9.0 mpg pulling, should be 13-15 with trailer. Drove it home 100 miles was getting 21, happy. Put my trailer on the next day, drove 3 round trips for a total of 630 miles and averaged 9.9 mpg . . . MAD... is an understatement. (My son just bought a 2018 GMC 1500 5.3. Hooked on to the same trailer, left OK to IN, called driving 80 mph, loaded, and getting 14 mpg for entire trip. I tried to get him to buy RAM)
Was told it just needed to break-in... they told me that on my 2013 and after 144K miles it was still the same. I CANNOT afford to put fuel in this 2019 if it is going to get 9 mpg too. That is why I traded. I'm seek some help.... Can the dealer reprogram the computer, drive another new 2019 under the radiator cap (sure), or what can be done? I stretched my budget to buy this truck and it is no better mpg than my 2013. HELP!
Look on the bright side. From 8.5 with the old truck to 9.9mpg with the new truck is a 15-16% improvement. And unloaded from 15 to 21 is a whopping 40% improvement!!

Do you have a scale weight for the trailer?

Last edited:

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are stuck with what you are getting. While they made a couple improvements with aerodynamics and shed a few lbs, it’s the same engine. I expected nothing different from my 14 to my 19 and my mileage results are the same as my 14, maybe a tenth better. Never listen to a sales person! Maybe drop it back in his hands and tell them to find you another brand or cash you out to get another brand.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
You shouldn't see much improvement with the new truck in towing MPG. The salesman was telling you what you wanted to hear, to sell a vehicle.

I would also not expect the 5.3 to get dramatically better towing MPG in the same conditions, if everything is hand calculated (and make sure you are comparing hand calculated MPG). I'd suspect his trip may have had more favorable conditions (especially wind). The 5.3 is more fuel friendly, though. It produces less power, is moving a lighter truck, and is programmed with economy in mind (and drives that way, sluggish)

When towing, i've found you can play with tow/haul on or off based on your terrain and wind to keep the trans and RPM in a more optimal spot. For example, in tow/haul it liked to hold 7th gear and high RPM even at upwards of 75. On flat terrain, take it out of tow haul, let it run in 8th at lower RPM.

Also, if you're this concerned with MPG, reducing your speed will probably give you the most improvement. And making sure all you tires are properly inflated (trailer too, with properly greased hubs).

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Yeah I always take what the salesman tells me with a grain of salt. Most often times the people on this forum no way more then the guy at the dealer lot.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
To be fair to the salesman, I think 10% gain is fair to expect based on fuelly just from upgrading to the 8 speed trans. Pre 2014 avg 14s, post 2014 avg 15s.

Kidder

Reaction score
Your salesman is a flat out liar. There's no way you're getting that much improved pulling a trailer. I would expect it to be the same.

My 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi with 3.55 and the 5 speed averaged 15 in the city. My 19 eTorque averages around 16.5. That's with 3.21 and pulling nothing.

JDT 2019 Ram

Reaction score
I think you are stuck with what you are getting. While they made a couple improvements with aerodynamics and shed a few lbs, it’s the same engine. I expected nothing different from my 14 to my 19 and my mileage results are the same as my 14, maybe a tenth better. Never listen to a sales person! Maybe drop it back in his hands and tell them to find you another brand or cash you out to get another brand.
I asked several friends who own Rams 2016 and newer, pulling same type of trailer, before buying. They all told me they were getting 11 or above with a trailer.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 w/ 3.92 gets 12.9-13.0 mpg city with no trailer. horrible mpg

JDT 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Look on the bright side. From 8.5 with the old truck to 9.9mpg with the new truck is a 15-16% improvement. And unloaded from 15 to 21 is a whopping 40% improvement!!

Do you have a scale weight for the trailer?
Trailer weighs 3400 empty. When loaded with animals and tack, usually 5,000

GATORB8

Reaction score
How fast? Difference between 75 and 80 is probably worth 1.5-2 MPG.
I pulled my boat from Chicago to Charlotte for miles 45-950 and averaged 12.5 including 2+ hours of stop and go. Cruise set on 5 over the whole way.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think any truck is pulling any trailer at 80mph and getting 14 mpg... Not with a gas motor, and definitely not with the 5.3. Sorry just not buying it, I have an eTorque with 3.21's and I get 15mpg at 80, closer to 17 at 70, and that's without a trailer.

Any gas truck I've seen pulling just about any trailer that has any sort of frontal area (meaning, not an open trailer) is pretty much going to get 8-10 mpg when loaded and doing highway speeds. Gas motor's can only turn so much fuel into so much movement, none of the manufacturers have a leg up on one another when the motors are working hard. It's just against the laws of physics. You're taking the energy content (which is regulated) in gasoline and using it to move a 6,000 lb brick + whatever that brick is pulling. The rear end doesn't matter, the motor size doesn't matter, turbo's, eTorque, etc, it's just not gonna make a dent. There's just no room for any sort of leverage unless you go diesel, which can make use of a higher energy content per fixed volume. And even when you do go diesel, once again, they're only so efficient, none of the manufacturers get have any sort of meaningful advantage over one another when it comes to the actual efficiency of the combustion cycle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread