5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 3.6 Pentastar Oil Change

jyones12

Reaction score
Hi All!

New owner of a 2019 Dodge Ram Bighorn Edition.

Doing my first oil change at 5,000 miles....Yes I know I messed up and should have done the first one at 1,000 but I can't go back now.

Anyway, I ordered the Oil Filter online and was looking at where the Oil Filter Location was under the hood and cannot find it anywhere?!....If anyone can point out to where it is I would greatly appreciate it. Also what size socket is the cartridge?

Last thing, I noticed the Oil Filler Cap says 0W-20 Oil.....is this recommended by everyone or is there a different type I should go with?

Sorry for the questions, This is my first Dodge!

Thanks! :)

Konrad

Reaction score
Hi All!

I noticed the Oil Filler Cap says 0W-20 Oil.....is this recommended by everyone or is there a different type I should go with?

Thanks! :)

What would be a logical reason to (want to) go with something different than recommended by the engine designer and manufacturer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jyones12

Reaction score
What would be a logical reason to (want to) go with something different than recommended by the engine designer and manufacturer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only research I could find online was everyone going with a 5w.......that's why.

Konrad

Reaction score
The only research I could find online was everyone going with a 5w.......that's why.
Again, why would you think "everyone online" would know better than the manufacturer? That makes no sense at all.
5W20 is recommended for the HEMI. 0W20 is recommended for Pentastar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Again, why would you think "everyone online" would know better than the manufacturer? That makes no sense at all.

^^^ Agree fully. ^^^

jyones12

Reaction score

Ok thanks. And the location of the oil filter?..

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can never go wrong when following manufacturer's recommendations. Having said that, they also need to try to eek the highest fuel economy possible out of the engines they design in order to satisfy FCA's overall EPA requirements for fuel economy. So they spec an oil which will impact fuel economy the least, and still protect the engine.
FYI: 0w-20 and 5w-20 are both 20 wt oils when they are at operating temperature. The 0w-20 flows better when cold.

eyeguy

Reaction score
On my 2017 3.6 it points up passenger side of motor maybe under top black cover. Cover pops off with a pull up on my wifes durango. Dont know socket size. Pay attention to location of black rubber seal that is replaced each time on filter catrtridge black housing. My 2017 takes 5w-20 I believe must have changed it.

jyones12

Reaction score
Thanks all who have replied. I finally found the location of it. Will be picking up the oil and filter tomorrow. Thanks!

d19r93

Reaction score
The only sucky part of 0w-20 oil is that it's only synthetic. And it's expensive!

Smerberj

Reaction score
What's the reasoning for changing the oil at 1,000 miles? I'm at 646 miles on mine, oil life says 92%. I could see an old motor would need an oil change for the "break in" period but these new motors with their factory synthetic oils are state of the art. Loving my pentastar, lie-o-meter is saying my average is 20.2, goes up more and more everyday. 15759937246271171981663877842287.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
What's the reasoning for changing the oil at 1,000 miles? I'm at 646 miles on mine, oil life says 92%. I could see an old motor would need an oil change for the "break in" period but these new motors with their factory synthetic oils are state of the art. Loving my pentastar, lie-o-meter is saying my average is 20.2, goes up more and more everyday. View attachment 41552
No reasoning. Just the automotive version of bro-science...
I'll stick with MFG recommendations, thank you.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the reasoning for changing the oil at 1,000 miles? I'm at 646 miles on mine, oil life says 92%. I could see an old motor would need an oil change for the "break in" period but these new motors with their factory synthetic oils are state of the art. Loving my pentastar, lie-o-meter is saying my average is 20.2, goes up more and more everyday. View attachment 41552
I did my first oil change when my oil life hit %50; that was around 5,000 miles. Lots of opinions on when to change; but I just make sure not to exceed manufacturer's recommendation.

Scrambler

Reaction score
back to the original posters question, has anyone done a V6 oil change that can enlighten us on do's and don'ts? I'm asking because of all the HEMI owners complaining and complications regarding changing oil and filter.

downsjh

Reaction score
Do check your oil level ASAP. Did my oil change at ~4000, only got 3qts. Filled perfectly with 5qts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
D210B39C-908F-474D-B4D5-A1208797D582.jpeg
This is my HEMI at 78mph on a Pulsar running the Performance tune.

Users who are viewing this thread