5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 steering gear replacement?

cphillips82

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I had a couple TSB issues with a soft popping noise when turning at slow speeds and a light friction type noise coming from the steering wheel column when turning it to the right. The dealer looked at it today and said its the steering gear -- $3400. Anyone else needed this replaced?

Einstein376

Reaction score
I had the steering gear replaced under warranty as the truck would “fall” into a turn at highway speed. The fix was the new gear and it solved the issue. There was a thread about this on this site.

Jim

cphillips82

Reaction score
I had the steering gear replaced under warranty as the truck would “fall” into a turn at highway speed. The fix was the new gear and it solved the issue. There was a thread about this on this site.

Jim
Yeah mine is just a couple weird sounds, one from the steering column and one that sounds kind of like coming from the suspension somewhere so it doesn't really make sense to me that the steering gear is the issue and its not warranty work unfortunately so I'm getting a second opinion before making a decision on it.

cphillips82

Reaction score
Just got a second opinion from a non-dealer auto repair with great reviews on google. They say its the upper control arms causing the noises which makes a lot more sense to me. So having it done and will report back. Unrelated but their price is also half the cost of the dealer for rear brakes :)

Ramboh

Reaction score
Just got a second opinion from a non-dealer auto repair with great reviews on google. They say its the upper control arms causing the noises which makes a lot more sense to me. So having it done and will report back. Unrelated but their price is also half the cost of the dealer for rear brakes :)
Did you get the control arms replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread