5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ram 1500 starter not spinning up

Merrick2252

Reaction score
I've had an issue with my truck intermittently not starting. Usually I can hear the starter solenoid click but it doesn't crank at all. After sitting for a few minutes and repeatedly pressing the start button it eventually starts until the other day when it didn't start and hasn't been able to since. I replaced the battery which didn't fix it, I used a Mutimeter to check that there wasc onstant current to the starter solenoid feed and it came back good. I'm also assuming that the click that I hear when trying to start the truck indicates that theS terminal on the solenoid is receiving voltage when I press the ignition. I then pulled the starter out and hooked it up to a battery and it spins up fine. I'm at a loss for what to try next. From what I can tell there is no reason that it shouldn't be cranking when I push the start button. I've heard some people say that their starter bench tested fine but they still solved the issuew ith a new starter. I just don't want to go out and buy a new one if the problem is something else. Anyone have any ideas here?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Voltage Drop Test is the next step.

All it takes is a poor connection on the engine ground strap - at either end. Or the positive cable. You might read great voltage sitting there, but it might drop to nothing with a load on.

If you don't know how to do it, google it. I'm not a good enough typist to explain it.

Merrick2252

Reaction score
Update - took out the starter (that was a nightmare) it bench tested fine so I put it back in. Haven't had an issue since, must've been bad contact with the wiring

Users who are viewing this thread