5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 rear end thump

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any one else having issues with 2019 Ram 1500 drive shaft thump? It got to a point where it does it in every time I stop. Really annoying!!
Well, I just removed the drive shaft boot clamp and inspect for lubrication, sure enough, the splines looked pretty dry. I went ahead and removed the drive shaft (don’t forget to make marks at both ends) and thing was really dry. I used full synthetic moly-fortified grease and put it back together. So far (about 5 miles) no thump. I’ll send a follow up update at 500 miles or so. 76145C69-0F4B-4201-A4AE-69D0D52FB883.jpeg

popcenator

Reaction score
My Rebel has some play/clunking when I shift from park to drive or reverse. It does the same at low speeds. I don't know that it's normal, I can't imagine it is. Here are a couple videos of what's happening for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any one else having issues with 2019 Ram 1500 drive shaft thump? It got to a point where it does it in every time I stop. Really annoying!!
Well, I just removed the drive shaft boot clamp and inspect for lubrication, sure enough, the splines looked pretty dry. I went ahead and removed the drive shaft (don’t forget to make marks at both ends) and thing was really dry. I used full synthetic moly-fortified grease and put it back together. So far (about 5 miles) no thump. I’ll send a follow up update at 500 miles or so. View attachment 91086
1500 miles no thump yet.

Drewster

Reaction score
My Rebel has some play/clunking when I shift from park to drive or reverse. It does the same at low speeds. I don't know that it's normal, I can't imagine it is. Here are a couple videos of what's happening for me.

That looks absolutely normal. If *just* the driveshaft had that much play it would be bad, but you're looking at play in the diff and inside the transmission between gears.

popcenator

Reaction score
That looks absolutely normal. If *just* the driveshaft had that much play it would be bad, but you're looking at play in the diff and inside the transmission between gears.
That's good to know. I've never actually observed what goes on under there when shifting.

Users who are viewing this thread