5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Quality

klail

Reaction score
Maybe start looking into this now. Some extended warranties (all?) can only be purchased WHILE your original OEM warranty is still in effect.
I can confirm that not all extended warranties require the OEM warranty to still be in effect. My option for warranty does not have this requirement as it still only covers any vehicle up to a certain number of years and miles. For example: If I buy it now it will cover me for 7 years/125k miles. If I buy it in 5 years it will cover me for 3 years and up to 125k miles on the vehicle. Either way it is the same coverage. The only thing that changes is the price. The later you wait the cheaper it gets because there is less time that it is covering you, however, if there are a lot of claims for a specific vehicle, the price could go up do to the cost to the company. At first they price the warranty based on the price of previous year vehicle claims but with a new generation their can always be different problems.

By the way, you don't have to live in Idaho to get this warrant. I used to work for the credit union that issues it and I did multiple out of state policies. A nice thing about it is if you sell the vehicle the warranty is either transferable or you can do what I did on a previous vehicle and cancel it and get a refund for the term you have left regardless of how many times you used it.

https://www.iccu.com/inc/uploads/2017/04/mrc.pdf

Here is my quote:

1551454377552.png

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“While the reviews of the interior and ride have been good I have been a bit gun shy to buy an FCA product given they finish last in about every survey”

The above comment is empirically untrue as it is treating all FCA brands collectively with the same brush.

The comment does not differentiate between the various industry surveys. Is it referring to Consumers’ Report, J.D. Power, etc.? In the case of J.D. Power there are two survey results given for each year; the Initial Quality Survey (IQS) representing the first 90 days of service, and the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) representing the first 3-years of service. Both refer to problems per 100 vehicles by NAMEPLATE.

When looking at the last ten years of both J.D. Power IQS and VDS surveys it clearly shows huge swings year-to-year for most manufacturers. Looking at the IQS for 2016 model year (MY) for example, we see Chevrolet at 115, Chrysler at 146, Ford at 146, GMC at 161, and Ram at 171.

In the 2017 MY IQS, it’s Ford at 86, Ram at 86, Chevrolet at 88, GMC at 99, Chrysler at 102, Dodge at 106.

When we look at the VDS 3-year Dependability Study, the same swings are clearly evident. For the 2009 model year (MY) it’s Ford at 127, Chevrolet at 135, GMC at 158, Ram at 174, Dodge at 183, and Chrysler at 192.

2012 MY VDS = Chevrolet at 123, GMC at 123, Ram at 134, Chrysler at 173, Ford at 188, Dodge at 192.

2013 MY VDS = Chevrolet at 126, Ram at 127, Ford at 127, GMC at 134, Chrysler at 153, Dodge at 190.

2016 MY VDS = Ram at 129, GMC at 120, Chevrolet at 125, Chrysler at 165, Ford at 204, Dodge at 208.

(Of course some manufacturers don’t suffer from the same swing effects, like Toyota, which should preclude anyone primarily concerned about this subject to reject any other auto or truck brand anyways :).)

Unfortunately, these numbers are only good for vehicles carrying that particular nameplate. It does not differentiate by models carrying the same brand name and JD Power does not release individual IQS/VDS numbers for specific models. That privilege belongs solely to manufacturers. So ultimately you cannot with any clarity discern the difference between an F-series, Ram, or Silverado model because their problem per hundred scores are masked by the average of a large population of other models that bear the same brand name.

The only possible exception in my opinion is Ram, since it is a pure truck brand that is diluted by a much, much smaller ProMaster population.

NOTE: I know Nissan makes a LD pick-up truck, but I did not include Nissan to enable brevity. Offense to Nissan truck owners was not intended.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 010049 miles.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm that not all extended warranties require the OEM warranty to still be in effect. My option for warranty does not have this requirement as it still only covers any vehicle up to a certain number of years and miles. For example: If I buy it now it will cover me for 7 years/125k miles. If I buy it in 5 years it will cover me for 3 years and up to 125k miles on the vehicle. Either way it is the same coverage. The only thing that changes is the price. The later you wait the cheaper it gets because there is less time that it is covering you, however, if there are a lot of claims for a specific vehicle, the price could go up do to the cost to the company. At first they price the warranty based on the price of previous year vehicle claims but with a new generation their can always be different problems.

By the way, you don't have to live in Idaho to get this warrant. I used to work for the credit union that issues it and I did multiple out of state policies. A nice thing about it is if you sell the vehicle the warranty is either transferable or you can do what I did on a previous vehicle and cancel it and get a refund for the term you have left regardless of how many times you used it.

https://www.iccu.com/inc/uploads/2017/04/mrc.pdf

Here is my quote:

View attachment 17501

Interesting info, thanks. In addition to what you describe, some extended warranties are setup to only come into effect after the OEM warranty expires. If you wanted 7 years of coverage and xx miles, you'd buy a 4 year plan. OEM warranty would apply for the first 3 years (or whatever it is) and then the aftermarket warranty takes over from there.

Users who are viewing this thread