5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 Offroad + Max Towing -> Converting from locking diff (eLocker) to limited slip (LSD)

R

Rob5589

Good question. This was just a preference. Relative to the overall cost it wasn't much. If you don't do this, there is a real chance that you will get a little vibration or noise as the gears generally wear together and mesh. The lower the mileage on the vehicle the less likely this is as they haven't had as much time to do that. My truck only has 23k miles on it but I'm very picky and I didn't want to have to do it all over again just in case. Seemed liked a relatively cheap "while you're in there" thing. I'm just doing the break in 100 miles now - 15-20 minute drives with periods between for cool-down. It snowed today and I can tell you it made the world of difference. Very much worth it for me.

Hopefully you didn't have a new gear set installed based on that information. Because it is absolutely incorrect.

travelerut

Reaction score
Hopefully you didn't have a new gear set installed based on that information. Because it is absolutely incorrect.

Well; my mechanic and my machinist said it was a fair idea so I went with it. It was ~10% of the cost of the overall job. So it seemed like cheap insurance for a labor intensive job.

R

Rob5589

Well; my mechanic and my machinist said it was a fair idea so I went with it. It was ~10% of the cost of the overall job. So it seemed like cheap insurance for a labor intensive job.
If you're happy that is all the matters.

Lonwolf93

Reaction score
Nice thread, thank you to the OP for the info. My Ram has an open rear, and I plan to have a local off road shop install a limited slip, which I prefer. To the OP, I do have a question. I have been looking at either the Yukon LSD, or going with a Mopar LSD. Did you consider the Mopar before you went with the Yukon? They both seem like winning options to me, but I am leaning toward the Mopar mainly in the interest of going with factory parts, and the fact that my last Ram had LSD and performed without issue for over 126,000 miles. Are there features of the Yukon which make it a better choice?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Oh no! Not what I wanted to hear! I guess we'll see. I'm committed at this point :)
I have LSDalso, and I do not get slippage, even when wet. I still put it on 4WD Auto just in case, but it's surprisingly good w/o it, so go figure...
KR, what type of tires did you have?

KRField

Reaction score
I have LSDalso, and I do not get slippage, even when wet. I still put it on 4WD Auto just in case, but it's surprisingly good w/o it, so go figure...
KR, what type of tires did you have?

I had it with stock Goodyear’s and now my Falkens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelerut

Reaction score
Nice thread, thank you to the OP for the info. My Ram has an open rear, and I plan to have a local off road shop install a limited slip, which I prefer. To the OP, I do have a question. I have been looking at either the Yukon LSD, or going with a Mopar LSD. Did you consider the Mopar before you went with the Yukon? They both seem like winning options to me, but I am leaning toward the Mopar mainly in the interest of going with factory parts, and the fact that my last Ram had LSD and performed without issue for over 126,000 miles. Are there features of the Yukon which make it a better choice?

The Mopar one would have been a good choice as well, I think. After the installation it's rock solid even with slippery roads. Noticed the change immediately. Won't go back! :) I don't think you could go wrong with either. Yukon is fairly well regarded as these things go.

travelerut

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have the factory 32 spline 6-lug axles, eLocker in 3.92 gears, and ring and pinion etc etc if anyone is interesting. Shipping could be expensive as it's heavy. Parts are in Utah.

Dan Carey

Reaction score
How about this. What does it take to convert a 2019 1500 31 spline axle open to a LSD. This is the only thread I've seen where anyone has any real information. Most of what I've read and heard is that the 5th Gen has a different differential.

Last edited:

travelerut

Reaction score
How about this. What does it take to convert a 2019 1500 31 spline axle open to a LSD. This is the only thread I've seen where anyone has any real information. Most of what I've read and heard is that the 5th Gen has a different differential.

If you read through the thread; you'll see the only real difference is the spline count on the axles. All the aftermarket (and the Mopar) LSD are designed for 31 spline axles at the moment. So all you should need is:

The Yukon Dura Grip for 2011+ 9.25ZF rear end fits perfectly
Yukon Master Overhaul kit, performance ring & pinion gear set for 2011+ 9.25ZF also fits

The second one you may not "need" but I got it just in case.

Dan Carey

Reaction score
According to "Brian "Gus" Pyeatt" at Yukon it will fit the old body style aka classic. But not the new style, 2019-2020. Having that information I went to the Ram dealers in the area for a Mopar LDS and have not heard back from all of them yet, very mixed opinions from them. I did read the whole thread more than once, I learned a lot from it. When I get this sorted out I will post the information I have. I forgot to put in my original post a I have a 2019 classic, there in lies the problem.
Per Gus.
"Early / old body, yes it will
Late / new body , no"

"Do you have one that will fit 2019 1500 classic, 5.7 Hemi?"
"19 classic would be an early/old body, so yes it fits….."

travelerut

Reaction score
According to "Brian "Gus" Pyeatt" at Yukon it will fit the old body style aka classic. But not the new style, 2019-2020.

So I have a 2019 RAM (New Body Style) with that exact rear diff and pinion in it and I've been driving it every day. Works and fits perfectly :) That is, after I got the 31 spline axles which was the hardest part! This thread has the exact parts I ordered and installed so get those and you'll be golden

Dan Carey

Reaction score
This is where I am currently. Ordered a mopar part number 68266878AA LSD carrier complete. $402.00 new carrier bearings $76.00, gasket felpro $7.50, 75-90 gear lube and friction modifier less than $50.00.
I will pull the axles, back off the adjusters, remove the bearing caps, remove the carrier then remove the ring gear, clean all parts and put the ring gear on the new carrier which will have the new bearings on it, then install and set the backlash. I may take a few pictures.

Dan Carey

Reaction score
The Mopar unit is installed and works great. This is the old and new diff.
old and new dilff.jpg
Making the tool to turn the adjusters to set backlash.
diff tool.jpg
The new Timken bearings are .125" longer than the original. which allows more surface contact. The bearings add .250" to the overall distance, so the adjusters have to be backed off .125" each.
diff bearings.jpg
This is the old Differential.
old diff.jpg
I checked the backlash before pulling the old unit. it was set at .008" I set the new carrier at .007"
Backlash.jpg

I took a few more pictures but nothing that tell the story any better. Total time start to finish was 5 hours, that included making the tool to turn the adjusters.

Last edited:

Dan Carey

Reaction score
New carrier in place ready to put the cover on. There is a lot of flash back from the new and clean parts.
new carrier.jpg

I used new ring gear bolts. new differ.jpg

lilteco71

Reaction score
Hey all,

So this is all done and worked perfectly! I have some actual part numbers and notes for posterity and I'll get some pictures up in a bit. Here are the part numbers. Make a note this conversion was for a truck with the Max Tow package. If you don't have Max Tow you probably don't need the axles as the ones listed below are the ones already on your truck:

Yukon Dura Grip for 2011 & Up Chrysler 9.25ZF rear - YDGC9.25ZF-31-1 (https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Gear-YDGC9-25ZF-31-1-Dura-Positraction/dp/B01CDNL56O)
Yukon Master Overhaul kit for 11' & up Chrysler 9.25" ZF rear - YK C9.25ZF (https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Gear-YK-C9-25ZF-Differential/dp/B01A7GGU00)
High Performance Yukon Ring & Pinion gear set for '11 & up Chrysler 9.25" ZF in 3.90 ratio - YG C9.25B-390B (https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Gear-YG-C9-25B-390B-Performance/dp/B01A7GGD0M)
31 Spline 6 lug axle (Passenger) - 68272112aa (https://www.dodgeparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-rear-shaft-right-68272112aa?c=az0x)
31 Spline 6 lug axle (Driver) - 68272113aa (https://www.dodgeparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-rear-shaft-left-68272113aa)

And one of these guys to make the computer quit yelling at you that you don't have an e-locker anymore. I suspect that if I press the button, I'll get an error I'll need to clear. So I'll just avoid pressing the button. But it doesn't error at startup after you wire up one of these:

6 OHM LED Resistor (https://www.amazon.com/4Pcs-Aaron-6ohm-Load-Resistors/dp/B00L4V9ECY)
HI, the yukon ring and pinion set is plug and play ? is stronger that the oem ?

Users who are viewing this thread