5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Gas Tank Replacement - HELP

Lakesidelefty

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a used 2019 Ram Longhorn and found out 2 days after that it had a hole in the fuel tank. Took to dealer and was told I needed 68584761AA Fuel Tank and the O Ring. I order the parts from a different dealer and today took it in for them to replace it. After 3 hours they told me it need a 68580832AA Fuel Vapor Tube Assy also because the one on the old tank is to short for the new tank. They set me the picture attached...
I was told the tank I ordered was the same as what was on the truck, so I should not have needed any other parts RIGHT? I talked to the service advisor and the parts dept and all they can tell me is what it shows in the picture. I feel like I am getting scammed here. Can anyone help or understand this better then me? Thanks

Attachments

• 123_1.png
    123_1.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 18

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems like they may have sent you the wrong sized tank. Keep in mind there are three different sizes for 5th gen 1500's...23 gal, 26 gal, and 33 gal. What size is your stock tank?

Lakesidelefty

Reaction score
Seems like they may have sent you the wrong sized tank. Keep in mind there are three different sizes for 5th gen 1500's...23 gal, 26 gal, and 33 gal. What size is your stock tank?
26 Gallon - They are saying the blue thing on the new tank makes the old tube to short. Just got these pictures.

Attachments

• 123_1 2.jpeg
    123_1 2.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 123_1 3.jpeg
    123_1 3.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 19

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer as my 2019 Ram (26 gallon tank) is not taking fuel in, and they said Ram changed the tank replacement parts at some point recently (? Not sure when). So the old tank assembly was replaced by the 3 separate parts, the tank, the vapor tube and the o-ring.

This was actually good news in my case, as the tech had been previously tossing around "$1k to $2k just for the tank" only to return from the parts dept after checking, and have a quote of more like ~$550 or something for parts.

Lakesidelefty

Reaction score
I am also wondering if this tank is better than the cheaper options Mopar offers? They have like 4 26 gallon tanks and this one cost the most and no idea why ...

Lakesidelefty

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer as my 2019 Ram (26 gallon tank) is not taking fuel in, and they said Ram changed the tank replacement parts at some point recently (? Not sure when). So the old tank assembly was replaced by the 3 separate parts, the tank, the vapor tube and the o-ring.

This was actually good news in my case, as the tech had been previously tossing around "$1k to $2k just for the tank" only to return from the parts dept after checking, and have a quote of more like ~$550 or something for parts.
Well an FYI - If you get the Ram Charge card and in the first billing cycle charge your repairs you get $100 cash back and 5% cash back on all service.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Hmm.. that's not a bad idea. Will consider, thanks!
I am also wondering if this tank is better than the cheaper options Mopar offers? They have like 4 26 gallon tanks and this one cost the most and no idea why ...
Hmm, yea, not sure what to tell you there. I think the quote (which i thought about taking a photo of, but of course did not - would have been helpful here) had $340 for just the tank alone.

Lakesidelefty

Reaction score
Check Mopar for tank cost and shipping that is what I did. There are like 4 tanks that fit ranging from $1575 to $250 ish without shipping. Shipping is around $120. My total was $380 with O Ring then I used Mopars 15% off online coupon and my Ram charge card for the first time. After all that it was $299. I ordered the part to the dealer so I could use the 15% off coupon. Today I gave them the $50 off coupon for service over $301 so will save some more.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread, but here's my parts list w/ dealer quoted pricing (depressingly cheaper online).

68584756AA (23 gal tank) - $471
68580832AA (Fuel vapor vent) - $126
55366298AA (O ring/fuel pump & level) - $74

and 3 hours to install.

Users who are viewing this thread