5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 Limited/Longhorn buying advice

GriffinMaximus

Reaction score
Hey,
I've been looking at purchasing a 2019 RAM 1500 limited trim truck and just wondered if there was anyone on this sub with a few months experience with their 2019 to provide some feedback. Any reliability issues? How's the performance, power and braking?
Secondly I've been looking at both the limited and the Longhorn. If I were to max out the spec of the longhorn would it match the limited in interior quality except for the color differences?
Appreciate any feedback and help provided!
vidmate mobdro word counter

Last edited:

ericd

Reaction score
As for your second question, Yes, The Longhorn quality will be as high as the Limited. Just a different style. At that point it's really just personal style preference.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Op, I would recommend looking at YouTube vids for most of your questions.

Reliability will vary depending on who you ask...forums tend to be skewed towards people with problems posting...so not an exact science.

Longhorn is actually slightly more expensive by the time you add everything the Limited has....but has a unique western interior you cannot get on the Limited.

Scrambler

Reaction score
I've got a 2019 Limited w/Level 1 equipment group therefore I can't compare it to the Longhorn. However, the std options of the Limited along with the Level 1 options are absolutely outstanding in my opinion. I am still discovering additional bells and whistles and I've owned it since December 2019. To me, the air ride suspension was a key option for me because the ride is better than most passenger cars we own and is light years ahead of the 2017 Silverado I traded in for this one. As someone mentioned, it is personal choice after that.

chrisnack

Reaction score
I had a 2018 F150 King Ranch before my 2020 Limited. I looked at the Longhorn but didn't care for the styling and color scheme. At least on the Ford side, the King Ranch leather is extremely supple, it was one of my favorite things. I will say the full-grain leather seats in the Limited are just as good. I felt like the Longhorn was very very cowboy styling, versus the Limited was business professional. The King Ranch was not cowboy style, it just had super nice leather.

So going from a King Ranch to Limited, i think the Limited was the best choice for me. I don't wear a cowboy hat and my other car is a BMW.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 2018 F150 King Ranch before my 2020 Limited. I looked at the Longhorn but didn't care for the styling and color scheme. At least on the Ford side, the King Ranch leather is extremely supple, it was one of my favorite things. I will say the full-grain leather seats in the Limited are just as good. I felt like the Longhorn was very very cowboy styling, versus the Limited was business professional. The King Ranch was not cowboy style, it just had super nice leather.

So going from a King Ranch to Limited, i think the Limited was the best choice for me. I don't wear a cowboy hat and my other car is a BMW.
You may have been looking at the brown filigreed interior. The black/saddle does not have the filigreed leather, and there’s a version of the brown without it, too. I preferred the black/saddle Longhorn interior over any other interior on any truck, with the Indigo/Frost Limited maybe running second.

I might have even put the GMC Sierra Denali ahead of the F-150 from an interior design standpoint (not material quality).

I looked at the Ford F-150 and F-250 King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited. To your point, the materials in the top trims are good...but I just couldn’t accept the aging interior design. I’m a fan of the exterior of the F-250, especially with the upper trims and the new 7.3-liter V8 (although that choice would eliminate the Limited). The Ram simply offers a more compelling package, in my opinion.

chrisnack

Reaction score
The Chevy/GMC are just plastic everywhere, it’s terrible. Interesting that you liked the GMC.

I had 4 F150’s before this RAM, to your point the F150 was just too aged, I had a 2018 KR and it felt like I went back 5 years getting back into it after the RAM. I’m sure they will refresh it in the next couple years and we will see what they do.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I have not had my truck very long, but my father bought it new this past summer. Power, braking, driving performance are VERY good for a pickup....or any vehicle for that matter. My rig only has a bit over 6k miles, but fit and finish are near perfect. The truck hasn't been in the shop since it was purchased. I will say the brakes on my rig squeak a bit, but I'm waiting to see if that goes away before taking it back to see if they can fix it.

Like you, I like the interior of the Longhorn. My rig has the options listed in my signature and is identical to a limited minus the air suspension. On one hand, I'd love to have the ability to raise or lower my ride height on demand. On the other, I'm kinda glad I don't have it as it will likely require more maintenance in the long run. Being a Longhorn, my rig does have subtle western style etching everywhere, real wood on the dash and doors, and western themes on the displays. The brown interior will probably look better down the road than the black interior on most trucks as it hides dirt and dust better.

My rig has the 3.21 gears which are good for mileage but limits towing to 8k lbs. Had I picked out the truck myself I probably would have opted for the 3.92 gears, but I doubt I'll ever need them. I used to tow a heavy travel trailer, but we have a motorhome now so heavy towing isn't really in my future these days. The Hemi has great power, sound, and is smooth as silk. The 8-speed tranny shifts perfectly and should last a very long time.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I was very much on the fence about buying my dad's truck (he decided it was too big for him), but I'm glad I did. I saved a small fortune over buying new and I'm finding I like the overall package more than I thought I would.

Last edited:

rws1944

Reaction score
I've no major issues with my 2019 limited with level 1. Most comfortable ride imaginable for a full size truck. Just be aware if the truck has the "tow package" you will lose the power folding mirrors and 360 surround. My prior 2016 1500 had folding mirrors and I miss them on the 2019.

chrisnack

Reaction score
I've no major issues with my 2019 limited with level 1. Most comfortable ride imaginable for a full size truck. Just be aware if the truck has the "tow package" you will lose the power folding mirrors and 360 surround. My prior 2016 1500 had folding mirrors and I miss them on the 2019.

You sure? I have tow package with 360 and power folding mirrors. Maybe 2020 they fixed that.

chrisnack

Reaction score
You probably have the standalone trailer brake controller, not the tow package.
I will have to see if they gave me the window sticker. I was specifically looking at ones with the tow package. Possible I’m mixing up options though.

chrisnack

Reaction score
“Trailer tow group” vs “max tow package”

I have the trailer tow group

hmmm I don’t have the trailer mirrors though... can I decide my vin somewhere?

otherwise I might be totally full of **** and I can just go back to my corner...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hmmm I don’t have the trailer mirrors though... can I decide my vin somewhere?

otherwise I might be totally full of **** and I can just go back to my corner...
Yeah...you don’t have the Trailer-tow Group. It includes the towing mirrors (i.e. non-power folding, non-surround view capable).

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had my Limited since December '18, and have had no problems other than the sticking steering, and without the tow package. Simply love the truck. Bought it specifically for the air ride, but am thoroughly happy with the e-torque and all. Glad I got it.

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
I absolutely adore my longhorn 2020. I came from a 2015 Ford platinum but always loved the king ranch style. (Side note: I am in Texas :)). Personally, I think the interior of the longhorn is top notch and unrivaled among any truck. I have the black/saddle but without the extra stitching that makes it too much imo. The quality of the materials and reliability thus far have impressed me and I loved my ford.

I know I will end backup in a Ford f150 eventually but the ram longhorn is an incredible truck, I preferred it’s interior and styling over the limited.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for that. Saved those off.

So yeah, i'm full of **** :) I just have the trailer brake controller. As stated before, i'll go back to my corner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online