5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My point is that I shouldn't be having to replace the whole engine on a 4 yr old vehicle that has all 4 yrs of mechanical records with dealership.
You seem to be hung up on the fact that it's only 4 years old. But this truck has the mileage of a 10-13 year old vehicle. I sympathize with you on the unexpected financial burden, but it is what it is. If you want to live risk-free (as far as engine replacement costs go), then you need to stick with vehicles that are still covered by a warranty. You rolled the dice and lost. Sorry to hear it.

Reaction score
I bought a new '21 Limited in June of 2021 off the lot. There were quite a few to choose from in my area. Maybe you should have expanded your search area. In my case my dealership did a dealer trade with a dealership that's a couple hundred miles away. Just a suggestion for the next time you're shopping for a new vehicle.

Egret

Reaction score
Yes, as far as symptoms. But I'm being told that the lifter failed and damage was done on inside. I asked if they could replace or rebuild internal instead of getting a new engine. They said no that it was shattered inside the engine. That's why I need a new one instead of rebuilding.
Dude, your engine is probably going to be ok. I'd definately try cleaning out the fragments of the broken lifter. They can use a magnet to try to fish out the broken pieces. Maybe some of the debris scratched the other parts, but there's a good chance everything will be ok. Have a shop clean it up as best as they can, replace the broken parts, and re-assemble. Then, take two advil, and call me in the morning :)

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But I'm being told that the lifter failed and damage was done on inside. I asked if they could replace or rebuild internal instead of getting a new engine. They said no that it was shattered inside the engine. That's why I need a new one instead of rebuilding.
I don't mean to add to the stress you are undoubtedly experiencing, but something still isn't adding up. Or, I've missed a detail somewhere.

But you came to the hivemind for assistance, maybe with a bit more detail it can help...

Can you clarify.... does your engine run now? Does it drive?
Does the engine make any gawdaful noises when it runs, like a coffee can full of bolts and nuts? Or just some ticking?
Are there any stored codes in the ECM (auto parts stores can scan if needed).

My thinking is if a lifter has failed or you dropped a valve, the engine wont possibly be running. Therefore if that's what they are saying, yet it runs... I think you might be getting the runaround.

Reaction score
You seem to be hung up on the fact that it's only 4 years old. But this truck has the mileage of a 10-13 year old vehicle. I sympathize with you on the unexpected financial burden, but it is what it is. If you want to live risk-free (as far as engine replacement costs go), then you need to stick with vehicles that are still covered by a warranty. You rolled the dice and lost. Sorry to hear it.

I don't mean to add to the stress you are undoubtedly experiencing, but something still isn't adding up. Or, I've missed a detail somewhere.

But you came to the hivemind for assistance, maybe with a bit more detail it can help...

Can you clarify.... does your engine run now? Does it drive?
Does the engine make any gawdaful noises when it runs, like a coffee can full of bolts and nuts? Or just some ticking?
Are there any stored codes in the ECM (auto parts stores can scan if needed).

My thinking is if a lifter has failed or you dropped a valve, the engine wont possibly be running. Therefore if that's what they are saying, yet it runs... I think you might be getting the runaround.
Engine was running great. Just the tick at startup that would go away after a minute of warming. Would error (service engine light) at about 50 - 55MPH. Engine still ran fine normal sounds. Just loss of power from misfire.
Engine made normal sounds, no noises at all like that. Even up until I dropped it off with dealership. Ran fine and drove to dealership to drop off.
P0308 is only stored code every time. Changed spark plugs & coil pack same error P0308.

Reaction score

Reaction score
There is several on this website that are having the same issue at 35k, 50k, 75k. There are multiple reports of failure again even after changing the engine. I'm hung up on the fact that this product has defects and the manufacturer is not taking responsibility. Leaving the unknowing consumer to pay the repair costs.
1701809606414.png
1701809391117.png
1701809213550.png

1701808954775.png

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to Mopar! and probably every manufacturer. There have been lawsuits about issues with Jeep over the years. I'm not sure if so with the Hemi. It sucks, especially with vehicle prices now days. G'luck with everything.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is several on this website that are having the same issue at 35k, 50k, 75k. There are multiple reports of failure again even after changing the engine. I'm hung up on the fact that this product has defects and the manufacturer is not taking responsibility. Leaving the unknowing consumer to pay the repair costs.
You can cite all the internet posts in the world, but yours (presumably) failed at 133,000 miles. That's far different from failing when new, or even when still under warranty. There's a reason warranties don't last forever - it's going to break at some point. You literally have no case against the manufacturer here.
Again, I'm sorry to hear of your plight. But you should focus on figuring out exactly what broke and how to get it fixed without a complete engine replacement.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can cite all the internet posts in the world, but yours (presumably) failed at 133,000 miles. That's far different from failing when new, or even when still under warranty. There's a reason warranties don't last forever - it's going to break at some point. You literally have no case against the manufacturer here.
Again, I'm sorry to hear of your plight. But you should focus on figuring out exactly what broke and how to get it fixed without a complete engine replacement.
Is it really different if it's a known issue, regardless of mileage? Not really. It's a very well known issue, just like the rear window, brake light, manifolds etc.

They should stand behind their lack in quality and make changes which they have not.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it really different if it's a known issue, regardless of mileage? Not really. It's a very well known issue, just like the rear window, brake light, manifolds etc.

They should stand behind their lack in quality and make changes which they have not.
Well, I'm sure we would all love to have vehicles that never break down, even after 1,000,000 miles. And I'm sure it can be done, as long as you're willing to pay twice the cost for the vehicle.
My point is that there's no legal case here, so move on and get it fixed. Inside of warranty is one thing, outside of warranty is something else completely.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure we would all love to have vehicles that never break down, even after 1,000,000 miles. And I'm sure it can be done, as long as you're willing to pay twice the cost for the vehicle.
My point is that there's no legal case here, so move on and get it fixed. Inside of warranty is one thing, outside of warranty is something else completely.
Totally missing the point. Enjoy!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Engine was running great. Just the tick at startup that would go away after a minute of warming. Would error (service engine light) at about 50 - 55MPH. Engine still ran fine normal sounds. Just loss of power from misfire.
Engine made normal sounds, no noises at all like that. Even up until I dropped it off with dealership. Ran fine and drove to dealership to drop off.
P0308 is only stored code every time. Changed spark plugs & coil pack same error P0308.
The ticking is either normal operation or a warning sign.
Lost of people have found using a thicker oil makes the sound go away, there is at least 3 different oil specs for the same engine over the past few years.

Things wouldn't have have a warranty period if you could cry online about it at any point if something fails.
I sent in my Ruger 10/22 Carbine that was having some misfires and they replaced the bolt for free even though it was 30 years old.
They don't offer a warranty and it's stated this on the website
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full,” rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties vary from state to state you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

Ram clearly states and defines it's warranty (dealers may try to find loopholes in certain areas).
You clear clearly outside of warranty which covers manufacturer defects in your truck. If you had brought it in 75k miles ago then you could have it repaired under warranty.
You have went double what the manufacture warranty covers, you are not even close mileage wise.

Reaction score
Nope, just one that makes it worth what we are paying for it. You pay 50k for a vehicle. You expect it to last well over 200k. That's all I am trying to get across here. RAM should honor and stand behind what they build.
The ticking is either normal operation or a warning sign.
Lost of people have found using a thicker oil makes the sound go away, there is at least 3 different oil specs for the same engine over the past few years.

Things wouldn't have have a warranty period if you could cry online about it at any point if something fails.
I sent in my Ruger 10/22 Carbine that was having some misfires and they replaced the bolt for free even though it was 30 years old.
They don't offer a warranty and it's stated this on the website
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full,” rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties vary from state to state you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

Ram clearly states and defines it's warranty (dealers may try to find loopholes in certain areas).
You clear clearly outside of warranty which covers manufacturer defects in your truck. If you had brought it in 75k miles ago then you could have it repaired under warranty.
You have went double what the manufacture warranty covers, you are not even close mileage wise.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, just one that makes it worth what we are paying for it. You pay 50k for a vehicle. You expect it to last well over 200k. That's all I am trying to get across here. RAM should honor and stand behind what they build.
It's past the warranty, end of story. I've owned 5 different hemi powered vehicles with zero issues...

I've had issues with Fords and Chevys - never had an engine failure though.

73k miles before you bought it and you have NO idea how the previous owner treated it...

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RAM should honor and stand behind what they build.
They do, up to 5 years or 60,000 miles. After that, you're on your own. And you knew this. But you rolled the dice and lost, and have taken to complaining on the internet about it.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I f its running fine except for ticking, check your fluids, get a uoa, use the lubrication methods recommended on here and take it from there.

I find it hard to believe the truck drove in there fine except for a tick and they're telling you it's catastrophic failure. How did they confirm this? Metal pieces in the oil?

Definitely need a 2nd opinion. Wish you luck with this.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Swap two coil packs around and see if the fault stays with the # 8 Coil before buying a new one.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online