5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie truck bed cover alarm

Edwardpj0nes

Reaction score
Hello, wanted to know if anybody might have a wiring diagram or a pin out for the wires that enter the back driver side door. I wanted to tap into the existing wiring with the least amount of modification possible. I plan to connect to the wiring where the factory door plug connects to the rubber boot for the rear door on the interior of the car. I’ll post some pictures. My truck has been broken into a couple times and I’m trying to find the easiest solution to make the car alarm go off when the truck bed cover is open. I don’t really like knock sensors because they go off anytime someone with loud exhaust goes by the car.

I’m installing an alarm sensor to my truck bed cover to help prevent further break-ins. It has normally open and normally closed contacts. The easiest solution I could find is to integrate this into the factory alarm by tapping into the door lock. From what I understand the door lock grounds the signal, letting the car know it’s closed.

So I would connect those two wires to a normally open contact on the truck bed sensor.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’ll post full pictures of the install with links to the parts I used on Amazon once I get it working. I’m sure a lot of people can benefit from this.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Don't have the information you are seeking, but I am interested as well.

What kind of bed cover are you using? A folding hard cover? Does the alarm go off if you open the tail gate?

Edwardpj0nes

Reaction score
Don't have the information you are seeking, but I am interested as well.

What kind of bed cover are you using? A folding hard cover? Does the alarm go off if you open the tail gate?
I have the MX4 from backflip. The magnetic sensor is on the back left-hand corner. I am attempting to set up the alarm so that if the truck bed cover is open, the alarm goes off. I haven’t incorporated it into the tailgate, but that locks when the doors are locked. I could add an additional sensor to that too, if needed. Once I get a working, install I will post pictures.

The attached wiring diagram doesn’t quite work with my vehicle. The colors are wrong. going to use a voltmeter and see what wires give continuity when the door is locked.

here is the magnetic sensor I’m using

Attachments

• IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4

Edwardpj0nes

Reaction score
The circled portion is where I’m intercepting the wires, at the door plug. Unfortunately this wire diagram doesn't give the correct wire colors, but gives me the overall concept that it grounds the lock. so, with a voltmeter I can test what wires give continuity to ground when locked. (or at least I think that’s how it works) these diagrams are found in another post on this site.

Attachments

• IMG_9023.jpeg
    IMG_9023.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 6

Edwardpj0nes

Reaction score
So I finished the install today. The rear passenger door lock is triggered by a violet wire with a gray stripe it’s thin. if that wire is connected to ground, the truck thinks the door is open so I used a normally Closed alarm garage door contact.

Connected the violet wire, with a gray stripe to the common port on truck bed magnetic door sensor, and the normally closed contact to ground. so when the cover is opened it connects to ground when the cover is closed, it leaves the contact open.

I routed the wire from an opening in the truck bed under the car along the frame rail and up through a plastic body plug that enters through the floor in front the rear seat.

Attachments

• IMG_9044.jpeg
    IMG_9044.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9032.jpeg
    IMG_9032.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9030.jpeg
    IMG_9030.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9029.jpeg
    IMG_9029.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9038.jpeg
    IMG_9038.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9027.png
    IMG_9027.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 10

Edwardpj0nes

Reaction score
I’m bad at explaining things, but if you have any more questions let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread