5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Clicking Noise

BrianP

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My wife drives a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. 5.7 Hemi Engine. It currently has 123k miles. It is now making a clicking sound that I can feel in the steering wheel and sounds like it's coming from deep behind the dashboard. It only seems to do it in Drive (not in reverse) and the clicking sound changes frequency with speed (gets faster as I go faster). I haven't driven it other than back and forth in the driveway. The steering wheel makes no noises when in park and the wheel is turned. Turning the wheel when going forward has no effect on the noise, either (seems speed is the main cause). It starts as soon as I remove my foot and idle forward in drive. Accelerator pedal doesn't make it change frequency, only movement does from what I am seeing so far. I don't think it's a clockspring because it's silent in park and changes frequency with speed. It isn't so much a knock as a loud click and vibration. Seeing as how it's speed dependent, I would assume it's axles/wheels/transmission/driveshaft-related, but I've never seen that where it's felt/heard primarily in the dash/steering wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jrun50

Reaction score
Is it like buzzing noise? I had something similar and changed my tires and it went away.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My wife drives a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. 5.7 Hemi Engine. It currently has 123k miles. It is now making a clicking sound that I can feel in the steering wheel and sounds like it's coming from deep behind the dashboard. It only seems to do it in Drive (not in reverse) and the clicking sound changes frequency with speed (gets faster as I go faster). I haven't driven it other than back and forth in the driveway. The steering wheel makes no noises when in park and the wheel is turned. Turning the wheel when going forward has no effect on the noise, either (seems speed is the main cause). It starts as soon as I remove my foot and idle forward in drive. Accelerator pedal doesn't make it change frequency, only movement does from what I am seeing so far. I don't think it's a clockspring because it's silent in park and changes frequency with speed. It isn't so much a knock as a loud click and vibration. Seeing as how it's speed dependent, I would assume it's axles/wheels/transmission/driveshaft-related, but I've never seen that where it's felt/heard primarily in the dash/steering wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Have you figured it out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread