5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 HEMI V8 Gets a Significant Bump in MPG from the Hybrid According to the EPA (News)

Kramersp

Reaction score
So basically Ram had to use hybrid and MDS tech, Chevy had to use their skipfire MDS tech and Ford doesnt use either and they all get 19mpg. And the 5.0 and 5.7 have the same HP with the 5.7 having a 10tq advantage while the 5.3L is just as weak as it always has been.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
I have the etorque 5.7l Hemi, and there is no way it gets 22mpg highway. I have tried with cruise on as well, and it won’t get that high. Wondering if the stock 22” rims/ tires are the difference?

Chris

Reaction score
Ask the EPA for their test vehicle if you want that rated mileage, because that isn't what anyone actually buys. The key takeaway is that E-Torque gives around 10-15% better mileage then an identical build without it, whatever that may be.

SlowArrow

Reaction score
I have the etorque 5.7l Hemi, and there is no way it gets 22mpg highway. I have tried with cruise on as well, and it won’t get that high. Wondering if the stock 22” rims/ tires are the difference?
I’m beginning to believe that 22 mpg highway is an accurate value. I drove up to see my folks yesterday. The trip is 125 miles each way. When I left I had averaged 16.2 mpg over the last severage hundred miles of mixed driving. I drove about 70 mph almost all on adaptive cruse control, on watched the fuel consumption carefully. I was mostly running in the 20-25 mpg range the whole trip. When I got home the average had risen to 19.4 mpg. I did work on being conservative - but I’m happy with the result.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I had the chance to do a trip today and decided to test what I could get on the MPG/trip meters. Granted not validated by actual fuel pumped vs miles, but I am hoping the MPG gauge in the truck is pretty close.

90 mile each way is almost all highway with speed limits of 60, 65, 70, and 75 (about evenly divided) and highway traffic was light, temps in the high 40s/low 50s. Plenty of mild elevation changes.

On the way out I did my best to hypermile-it trying to get to 22 MPG. I was successful in getting about 22.3 MPG on the trip gauge but my techniques would probably be considered a little abnormal for most: usually well under the speed limit, pushing to keep the instant MPG high, maybe drafting slower vehicles a bit. Basically anything reasonable to max out the MPG.

On the way back I mostly was on ACC and several MPH above the speed limit, keeping-up with the fast lane. I don't flog it normally but I was with the faster traffic. Again 90 mile trip, slightly warmer. But a fast trip. 19.4 MPG on the trip meter for the total trip back.

I changed the break-in oil to Mobil1, not sure if that had any effect. And I put a Gator tri-fold cover on temporarily until I install my paint-matched Peragon cover - I'd imagine a bed cover has as much effect on highway MPG as anything.

Although I haven't tried it, I'd guess 22 MPG would be pretty easy to do if you held your speed to < 60 MPH. But there are not many roads around here where you can travel distance and hold that speed without stop/go or being a hazard.

Last edited:

lowell3170

lowell3170
Reaction score
I had the chance to do a trip today and decided to test what I could get on the MPG/trip meters. Granted not validated by actual fuel pumped vs miles, but I am hoping the MPG gauge in the truck is pretty close.

90 mile each way is almost all highway with speed limits of 60, 65, 70, and 75 (about evenly divided) and highway traffic was light, temps in the high 40s/low 50s. Plenty of mild elevation changes.

On the way out I did my best to hypermile-it trying to get to 22 MPG. I was successful in getting about 22.3 on the gauge but my techniques would probably be considered a little abnormal for most: usually well under the speed limit, pushing to keep the instant MPG high, maybe drafting slower vehicles a bit. Basically anything reasonable to max out the MPG.

On the way back I mostly was on ACC and several MPH above the speed limit, keeping-up with the fast lane. I don't flog it normally but I was with the faster traffic. Again 90 mile trip, slightly warmer. But a fast trip. 19.4 MPG on the trip meter for the total trip back.

I changed the break-in oil to Mobil1, not sure if that had any effect. And I put a Gator tri-fold cover on temporarily until I install my paint-matched Peragon cover - I'd imagine a bed cover has as much effect on highway MPG as anything.

Although I haven't tried it, I'd guess 22 MPG would be pretty easy to do if you held your speed to < 60 MPH. But there are not many roads around here where you can travel distance and hold that speed without stop/go or being a hazard.

Which Rear Gear do you have.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect the MPG to get near the EPA estimates until the drivetrain is broken in.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect the MPG to get near the EPA estimates until the drivetrain is broken in.
How long does that take? I am in the 16mpg range and at times 17 mpg. I have 2500 miles on it.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Took a 5,000 mile cross country road trip, started with 1,000 miles on the truck. Drove as fast as we reasonably could, a lot of 75 - 80, plenty of mountainous terrain, did use cruise control a lot. I'm sure I could have easily done better than this if keeping it to 65. Back home in fairly occasional driving I've been getting 17 combined, 15 in town when no highway driving - so pretty much getting the EPA rated mileage for a non-etorque hemi. Rambo Mileage 1.JPG

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manual states; "NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required. "

So if it takes about 3K for the rings to wear-in with the cylinder walls, 3K would be a good place to start. With the experience I've had with the 5.3l GM V8 engines, I noticed a difference in the 12-13k mark.

I guess the point I was trying to make is to not get twitchy about not making the best mileage numbers on a brand new vehicle. It may take some time to reach peak efficiency.

harleyrae

Reaction score
I did a turnaround 170 miles pretty flat with cruise @ 70 and one stop and my gas mileage was 16.4. Rebel with 1723 miles. I did a refill with premium to see if that will make a difference. With gas mileage like this they should not use the 23 gal tank.... :-(( :-(( :-((

JAGITA

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "SlowArrow, post: 52270, membre: 2795"] Je commence à croire que 22 mpg autoroute est une valeur exacte. Je suis allé voir mes parents hier. Le trajet est de 125 miles par trajet. Quand je suis parti, j’avais atteint une moyenne de 16,2 mi / gal au cours des derniers centaines de kilomètres de conduite mixte. J'ai conduit environ 70 mph presque tous sur le contrôle adaptatif de cruse, surveillé attentivement la consommation de carburant. Je courais surtout entre 20 et 25 mi / gal pendant tout le voyage. Quand je suis rentré chez moi, iTunes Mobdro TutuApp la moyenne était passée à 19,4 mi / gal. J'ai travaillé pour être conservateur - mais je suis content du résultat. [/ QUOTE]
Donc, en gros, Ram devait utiliser des technologies hybrides et MDS, Chevy devait utiliser leur technologie MDS skipfire et Ford ne les utilisait pas non plus, et ils bénéficiaient tous de 19 mpg. Et les 5.0 et 5.7 ont le même HP avec le 5.7 ayant un avantage de 10tq tandis que le 5.3L est tout aussi faible qu’il l’a toujours été.

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
I am beginning to believe that 22 mpg highway is an exact value. I went to see my parents yesterday. The trip is 125 miles each way. When I left, I had averaged 16.2 mpg over the last few hundred kilometers of mixed driving. I drove about 70 mph almost all on adaptive cruise control, carefully watching the fuel consumption. I ran mostly between 20 and 25 mpg throughout the trip. When I returned home, the average iTunes Mobdro TutuApp had risen to 19.4 mpg. I worked to be conservative - but I'm happy with the result.
So, basically, Ram had to use hybrid technologies and MDS, Chevy had to use their MDS skipfire technology and Ford did not use them either, and they all had 19 mpg. And the 5.0 and 5.7 have the same HP with the 5.7 having a 10tq advantage while the 5.3L is just as weak as it always was.

That Coyote is a fantastic engine, but keep in mind though that it needs to be at 5700 RPM to make the horsepower while the Hemi does it at 5600, and it needs to be at 4500 RPM to make the torque while the Hemi does it at 3950. Honestly, it is a well-known trick for manufacturers to tweak the engine to report higher power, but upon inspection that power usually ends up pushing out the RPM band to make it. I bet that they could pump up the Hemi numbers that way too, but who wants a Hemi that they need to keep near 5000 RPM to get the torque?

kdnyegaard

Reaction score
I also have a Hemi 5.7 with eTorq and 20" rims. After 3,000 miles, I am averaging 14.1 MPG, most of it highway and freeway driving. On pure freeway driving on cruise at 70MPH I get 18.2 MPG. In fact, compared to my identical 2017 RAM (except for the eTorq), it averages 3 MPG LESS than the 2017. No idea why.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have a Hemi 5.7 with eTorq and 20" rims. After 3,000 miles, I am averaging 14.1 MPG, most of it highway and freeway driving. On pure freeway driving on cruise at 70MPH I get 18.2 MPG. In fact, compared to my identical 2017 RAM (except for the eTorq), it averages 3 MPG LESS than the 2017. No idea why.
Same differential in both trucks?

jmac

Reaction score
I have 1600 miles on my Hemi, no e-torque. seems like when I passed 1500 miles I started averaging 20mpg. Before this was averaging about 18. drive about 52 miles per day mostly highway. it is downhill to work and uphill home.

S

Smashy71

[QUOTE = "SlowArrow, post: 52270, membre: 2795"] Je commence à croire que 22 mpg autoroute est une valeur exacte. Je suis allé voir mes parents hier. Le trajet est de 125 miles par trajet. Quand je suis parti, j’avais atteint une moyenne de 16,2 mi / gal au cours des derniers centaines de kilomètres de conduite mixte. J'ai conduit environ 70 mph presque tous sur le contrôle adaptatif de cruse, surveillé attentivement la consommation de carburant. Je courais surtout entre 20 et 25 mi / gal pendant tout le voyage. Quand je suis rentré chez moi, iTunes Mobdro TutuApp la moyenne était passée à 19,4 mi / gal. J'ai travaillé pour être conservateur - mais je suis content du résultat. [/ QUOTE]
Donc, en gros, Ram devait utiliser des technologies hybrides et MDS, Chevy devait utiliser leur technologie MDS skipfire et Ford ne les utilisait pas non plus, et ils bénéficiaient tous de 19 mpg. Et les 5.0 et 5.7 ont le même HP avec le 5.7 ayant un avantage de 10tq tandis que le 5.3L est tout aussi faible qu’il l’a toujours été.
Corn pasta?

Users who are viewing this thread