5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 (electronic stability control)

Brenden A

Reaction score
Due to all the snow and ice we have got in Oklahoma over the last couple weeks, I have been itching to clean the truck. Yesterday was 67 degrees and I decided to pressure wash the majority of the dirt and grime before putting a washing mitt to the paint.

I have been using this pressure washer for 2 years now. I know the risks of getting water where it doesn’t need to be. That being said, I didn’t spray under the hood (this time).

I’m using an 1800 psi Green Works electric pressure washer with 25 degree tip.

I stayed 12 -16 inches from
All surfaces. I did spray under the truck but again, didn’t hit anything with direct close contact.

This time, I didn’t go drive it right after I was done and that could have been my downfall. I woke up this morning roughly 10 hours later to go to work and I noticed the truck sounded like it had to work harder to start in (currently 46 degree weather) than it did when it was -2 degrees last week. Once I got in the truck I had a “service electronic stability control” message as well as “service trailer break” message. My front and rear parking sensors were also turned off and would not engage.

My transmission won’t shift out of 1st. The illumination light for 2wd is not on. I have read several threads about ESC messages but no one has said anything about transmission issues.

I tried shutting truck off and on a few times with no luck. I am going to crawl under when the sun comes up to see if any wires are hanging. Also hoping if it is just water in a plug that it may dry out throughout the day. This is concerning considering driving down the road at 70 mph in a rain storm could potentially cause this issue again if something is exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Due to all the snow and ice we have got in Oklahoma over the last couple weeks, I have been itching to clean the truck. Yesterday was 67 degrees and I decided to pressure wash the majority of the dirt and grime before putting a washing mitt to the paint.

I have been using this pressure washer for 2 years now. I know the risks of getting water where it doesn’t need to be. That being said, I didn’t spray under the hood (this time).

I’m using an 1800 psi Green Works electric pressure washer with 25 degree tip.

I stayed 12 -16 inches from
All surfaces. I did spray under the truck but again, didn’t hit anything with direct close contact.

This time, I didn’t go drive it right after I was done and that could have been my downfall. I woke up this morning roughly 10 hours later to go to work and I noticed the truck sounded like it had to work harder to start in (currently 46 degree weather) than it did when it was -2 degrees last week. Once I got in the truck I had a “service electronic stability control” message as well as “service trailer break” message. My front and rear parking sensors were also turned off and would not engage.

My transmission won’t shift out of 1st. The illumination light for 2wd is not on. I have read several threads about ESC messages but no one has said anything about transmission issues.

I tried shutting truck off and on a few times with no luck. I am going to crawl under when the sun comes up to see if any wires are hanging. Also hoping if it is just water in a plug that it may dry out throughout the day. This is concerning considering driving down the road at 70 mph in a rain storm could potentially cause this issue again if something is exposed.

I had the issue with not coming out of first gear and various lights. Below is email to Ram Cares. Battery replaced all good. I see you have a 2019. Batteries are an issue. Best of luck.

This in response to posts 552 and 553 from https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how’s-your-2019-ram-running-take-our-poll.1017/page-28

I have had updates I believe for the ANC and rear braking assist. Unfortunately that has not resolved the issues. Today the rear braking assist kicked in the middle of a wide street with nothing around it . The ANC makes noise while in MDS mode (eco light on) at about 1500+ rpms and is particularly noticeable when the back seat has people on it or is loaded with my gear. As far as the tailgate cable it appears to me all brands suffer from a slack cable. My diagnosis is that the spot welds for the bed are not 100% similar on the rear of the bed, not something that can be corrected with other than a cable adjustment of some sort. The tailgate lock does not always unlock with 2 pushes on the remote. It seems to correlate to how fast the buttons are pushed and/or how hard the tailgate is closed.

I have had the rear camera cut out on me previously but did not record the dates or exact circumstances, it did seem to occur with a change in the weather.

June 28th, 2020 the GPS and back up camera stopped working. It did come back on the next day but all my addresses and contacts were lost and I was in the Albany area that I was only semi familiar with. HOWEVER the GPS never functioned properly and I carry my Garmin GPS motorcycle version with me. The Ram GPS often takes me off the highway and puts me on local roads. I have reviewed the proper settings at least 1/2 dozen times and do not believe it has to do with the settings. I have attempted updates but from the last time I checked none were available.

As far as the "not coming out of first gear" a member on the 5th gen forum had a similar problem (POST 335659) and was resolved with "the tech found a split PCM connector pin". This by far is my biggest concern and I am not sure how readily it can be diagnosed and resolved. Other people have complained on "carcomplaints" with not coming out of first gear. Intermittent electrical issues are probably the hardest to diagnose. We have had some heavy rain in the previous days and I do not know if this correlates to the issue. Driving habits and use has not changed in the two years of ownership, no off roading, towing or heavy loads. For the most part it is a "pleasure vehicle".

In addition to not coming out of first gear the display stated:
1. Service Electronic Stability Control
2. Service Trailer Brake System
3. Park Sense Rear Braking Assist Off

4. Service light was on (not sure if engine or traction control)

I went out an hour or so later and the situation resolved itself.

I appreciate whatever Ram Cares can do to help Salerno Ram with correcting these issues. I believe FCA Ram has developed a great vehicle and I am very pleased with the amenities and ride.

Brenden A

Reaction score
Update... I took truck to the dealership. They stated the truck had 14 stored codes. Technician performed software update and cleared codes. Truck is operating as normal. I hope this doesn’t become a constant issue.

Aren’t software updates automatic with these newer vehicles? Can’t an update be pushed out through satellite?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aren’t software updates automatic with these newer vehicles? Can’t an update be pushed out through satellite?
Glad to hear the issues were resolved so far. Software updates can be pushed out for UConnect (and related items), but they aren't pushed out via satellite. They are done via cell tower through your truck's 4G connection. (Its AT&T I believe.)

Those updates are just for the UConnect (and related items) though; I do not believe the truck's various computers (control modules) can be upgraded that way. Those need to be done at a dealer typically, and they're usually a case of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"... only applied if there are issues/recalls/TSBs.

Last edited:

Brenden A

Reaction score
Glad to hear the issues were resolved so far. Software updates can be pushed out for UConnect (and related items), but they aren't pushed out via satellite. They are done via cell tower through your truck's 4G connection. (Its AT&T I believe.)

Those updates are just for the uConnect (and related items) though; I do not believe the truck's various computers (control modules) can be upgraded that way. Those need to be done at a dealer typically, and they're usually a case of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"... only applied if there are issues/recalls/TSBs.

That makes sense. I never did set up the onboard internet option, I wonder if that would make a difference for Uconnect updates. I think it is an awesome feature but pricey since I wouldn’t use it daily.

I figured there was a way to push updates. I may have been getting a little Syfy with the idea of updating the powertrain software remotely.

KLG

Reaction score
Had the same issue of warning lights about stability control and trailer brake, no drive mode indicator and trans locked in 1st gear. Battery showed good on the dash gage, but replaced it anyway. Solved the problem immediately

Users who are viewing this thread