5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Classic rear diff out

Redwolf1155

Reaction score
So the rear diff in my dad's 2019 ram 1500 classic went out on a fishing trip 300 miles from home and we had to trailer it back.

My question:
Does anyone know why the truck would be unable to move itself in 4x4H or L?

Luckily his truck has a winch on it and we were able to use it to load. However that doesn't help so much with unloading and moving the truck to where we can work on it.

Attachments

• 20231028_121727.jpg
    20231028_121727.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231028_121827.jpg
    20231028_121827.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 26

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the rear diff in my dad's 2019 ram 1500 classic went out on a fishing trip 300 miles from home and we had to trailer it back.

My question:
Does anyone know why the truck would be unable to move itself in 4x4H or L?

Luckily his truck has a winch on it and we were able to use it to load. However that doesn't help so much with unloading and moving the truck to where we can work on it.
With that carnage, the rear ring and pinion is most likely jammed up and not turning.
Try disconnecting the rear drive shaft, should move then.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With that carnage, the rear ring and pinion is most likely jammed up and not turning.
Wouldn't that be the same as neutral? If the ring and pinion are jambed from debris good luck until you get it cleaned out.

How many miles on the truck?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be the same as neutral? If the ring and pinion are jambed from debris good luck until you get it cleaned out.

How many miles on the truck?
It would, but if they tried to drive it under its own power, then that could be a no-go with out disconnecting the rear drive shaft.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnecting the rear driveshaft won't work with the transfer case. It will constantly be trying to send power to the rear wheels and will burn up the transfer case.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnecting the rear driveshaft won't work with the transfer case. It will constantly be trying to send power to the rear wheels and will burn up the transfer case.
Just to clarify, I am talking about disconnecting the rear drive shaft from the transfer case to the rear differential.
The rear axles are already "disconnected" by the blown spider gears.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I am talking about disconnecting the rear drive shaft from the transfer case to the rear differential.
The rear axles are already "disconnected" by the blown spider gears.
I know what you meant. You have to understand how the transfer case works to realize removing the rear driveshaft won't make the truck move under its own power, at least not very well

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you meant. You have to understand how the transfer case works to realize removing the rear driveshaft won't make the truck move under its own power, at least not very well
Front wheel drive is better than no wheel drive. Specially if one wants to get the truck off the trailer. YMMW.

Redwolf1155

Reaction score
The rear driveshaft spins freely. It also spun freely before i removed the spider gears which were laying in the bottom of the case. From in case inspection the ring, pinion, & axle gears appear to have no damage.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rear driveshaft spins freely. It also spun freely before i removed the spider gears which were laying in the bottom of the case. From in case inspection the ring, pinion, & axle gears appear to have no damage.
Did someone pull the orange neutral release?
edit: come to think of it, you might have a blown T-case.

Last edited:

Techneck

Reaction score
At this point its probably one of three reasons:

Blown t case, (no power output at all on either front or rear output)

Front diff cv disconnect lockers are not engaging (front drive shaft is spinning when you try to put power down, but the front wheels are not getting power) i always thought these were a bad design... after watching toyota and ford fail misrably with them, dodge decided to give it a go.

Bad 4x4 actuator (unbolt it, use a set of vice grips to turn the stud to 4x4, try again), this one is fairly common on the dodge trucks with the electronic shift of the fly. And you dont know its dead till you need to use it lol

Users who are viewing this thread